Obama use Executive power to move gun control forward

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Obama use Executive power to move gun control forward

Postby Hmac on Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:24 pm

river_boater wrote:If you really want to bitch, call the hospital system or organization he works for.

Which will accomplish nothing, but might make Oldhunter feel better.
Hmac

Postby river_boater on Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:27 pm

Hmac wrote:
river_boater wrote:If you really want to bitch, call the hospital system or organization he works for.

I was going to add that to my original post, but yeah, they don't care either.

We asked this question on our ambulatory questionnaire for years. We never once used the data for anything. I don't even think there was a place in the EHR to enter it. The question might still be there (I'll have to check), but we still don't keep the data anywhere.
river_boater

Postby Hmac on Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:44 pm

river_boater wrote:
Hmac wrote:

I was going to add that to my original post, but yeah, they don't care either.

We asked this question on our ambulatory questionnaire for years. We never once used the data for anything. I don't even think there was a place in the EHR to enter it. The question might still be there (I'll have to check), but we still don't keep the data anywhere.

Well, I'm sure they'll be very polite...

Our EHR (Allscripts) has a "guns in the home" checkbox that allows it to be entered into the problem list or under "Social History". The decision to do so, or even ask the question, depends on an individual doctor's feelings about whether it's a valid part of one's health care maintenance. That's not something that the CEO, CMO, or Barack Obama has any control over. Yet.
Hmac

Postby river_boater on Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:49 pm

Hmac wrote:Well, I'm sure they'll be very polite...

Our EHR (Allscripts) has a "guns in the home" checkbox that allows it to be entered into the problem list or under "Social History". The decision to do so, or even ask the question, depends on an individual doctor's feelings about whether it's a valid part of one's health care maintenance. That's not something that the CEO, CMO, or Barack Obama has any control over. Yet.

Interesting. We also use Allscripts and I've never noticed the column for "guns in the home." Now I'll have to go looking for it. I don't often use the UI, but rather the back-end database. No one has ever asked me to extract or report on it. It might show up on the operational reports, but we don't do anything with it on the analytics side.
river_boater

Postby Hmac on Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:58 pm

river_boater wrote:
Hmac wrote:Well, I'm sure they'll be very polite...

Interesting. We also use Allscripts and I've never noticed the column for "guns in the home." Now I'll have to go looking for it. I don't often use the UI, but rather the back-end database. No one has ever asked me to extract or report on it. It might show up on the operational reports, but we don't do anything with it on the analytics side.

I could envision, some day in the future, incentives from the Federal Govt for asking the question, as they do now for other problems. No reason to audit that particular question now. But someday, there might be dollars attached if that or other such questions are asked and recorded. Not to sound too paranoid, but one does have to wonder a little why the government is so invested in broad-based EHR use. They're spending a lot of money on Meaningful Use.
Hmac

Postby river_boater on Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:15 pm

Hmac wrote:Not to sound too paranoid, but one does have to wonder a little why the government is so invested in broad-based EHR use. They're spending a lot of money on Meaningful Use.

What, you don't think they have patient safety and quality of care in mind?

Personally, I think it's all just small steps towards moving us to the Canadian healthcare model.
river_boater

Postby NMRMN on Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:19 pm

Affordable Care Act limits collection of gun information from patients

No individual shall be required to disclose any information under any data collection activity authorized under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act or an amendment made by that Act relating to--
(A) the lawful ownership or possession of a firearm or ammunition; or

(B) the lawful use, possession, or storage of a firearm or ammunition.
I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety.
Member GOA | GOCRA | NRA
NMRMN

Postby Hmac on Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:21 pm

river_boater wrote:
Hmac wrote:Not to sound too paranoid, but one does have to wonder a little why the government is so invested in broad-based EHR use. They're spending a lot of money on Meaningful Use.

What, you don't think they have patient safety and quality of care in mind?

Personally, I think it's all just small steps towards moving us to the Canadian healthcare model.

Control health care delivery, control the people. Health care is too ripe a plum, too big a part of society, for the government to pass up total control. Certainly that's their end goal.
Hmac

Postby river_boater on Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:15 pm

NMRMN wrote:Affordable Care Act limits collection of gun information from patients

No individual shall be required to disclose any information under any data collection activity authorized under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act or an amendment made by that Act relating to--
(A) the lawful ownership or possession of a firearm or ammunition; or

(B) the lawful use, possession, or storage of a firearm or ammunition.

I'll dig it up in a bit, but the bill as I read it does not prevent providers from asking for the information, but limits what they can do with the information (retention, etc.) after they acquire it.
river_boater

Postby Hmac on Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:22 pm

Doctors can ask, patients don't have to respond, but whichever, nothing in the patient record can be released without the patient's consent except under court order.
Hmac

Previous

Return to In The News