The next run on ammo?

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: The next run on ammo?

Postby Makarov on Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:30 pm

JTapper wrote:Trust me.
SNIP
Ammunition manufacturers use mostly all antimonial lead. They use very little pure lead, and when they do, it's NOT primary lead.

There are primary and secondary lead smelters. Primary is smelted from mined galena, and secondary is smelted and refined from used lead-acid batteries and refined to specification. The price difference is huge, and there is NO difference in the physical properties, so there is no reason for a manufacturer of ammunition to use primary lead. The only reason the battery manufacturers use it is for high end critical performance batteries in sensitive environments. There are less trace elements in primary lead, which lead to less risk of gassing in the battery.

:thankyou:
Thank you for clearly explaining where the lead for ammunition comes from.
When I first learned of the Herculaneum plant closing, I was sure ammo prices would take another jump in price.
I appreciate you taking time to explain what is really going on.

Re: ammo supply
I believe the ammo supply shortage will continue for some time.
BO helped sell LOTS of guns (over 65.3 million in 4 yrs) and all those buyers now want ammo.
Also, the people who used to never stock any ammo, but just run to the store and grab a box when they needed it, now realize it might not always be on the shelf, and are buying a few extra boxes to have on hand. Some are buying lots of extra boxes. Some are stockpiling for the end of the world. ;) And some are buying to resell.
The ongoing media hysteria over shootings in "gun free" zones continues to feed the fear.
Trust in our government and especially this administration is at an all time low, and not much 'hope' for 'change' in the near future.
My 2 cents (which actually cost about 4.82 cents to make...)
Makarov

Postby Ironbear on Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:08 pm

JTapper wrote:Trust me. This will have little to NO effect on the lead supply to ammunition manufacturers.
There are less trace elements in primary lead, which lead to less risk of gassing in the battery.

Yes, thank you for taking the time to talk about this. This is the sort of information that responsible, in-depth journalism should be supplying us.... but doesn't.

For those accusing the NRA for hyping this, I personally haven't seen anything from the NRA about this. The article I linked to originally, showed up in my Google News. When I searched for more info... I found almost nothing about it.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby JTapper on Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:05 pm

You can thank me by purchasing ammunition from CCI, Speer, Federal, anything made at Lake City, or even (gulp)...Winchester.
JTapper

Postby tenmilmag on Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:44 pm

JTapper wrote:You can thank me by purchasing ammunition from CCI, Speer, Federal, anything made at Lake City, or even (gulp)...Winchester.

If and when I find it, I will buy it. :)
tenmilmag

Postby JTapper on Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:38 pm

You can find more ******** here:

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/201 ... roduction/

They discuss how lead used in ammunition hasn't come from US suppliers for years.

While I can't really say who supplies who, I CAN tell you that major manufacturers like CCI/Speer, ATK (Lake City stuff), Federal, Sierra, and Ultramax only use US suppliers (one of them used to buy shot from China, but I don't believe they are any longer). Remington and Winchester use primarily US sourced metal. Most of the Mexican lead ends up back in China, or in Mexican made batteries like Optima, Interstate, etc.
JTapper

The next run on ammo?

Postby dtapper2 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:25 pm

After just now finally reading the first two replies of the thread, I wanted to respond with my insight. I'm glad Tapper did. He said exactly what I would have said, but with facts and smart words that differentiate him and I. He knows is lead like Lindsay Lohan knows her white powdery substance.
If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster.
dtapper2

Postby mrp on Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:48 am

Ironbear wrote:For those accusing the NRA for hyping this, I personally haven't seen anything from the NRA about this.

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/artic ... ember.aspx
mrp

Previous

Return to In The News