'Good Samaritan' killer also sexually assaulted victims wife

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: 'Good Samaritan' killer also sexually assaulted victims wife

Postby Ironbear on Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:15 am

jshuberg wrote:As far as the government sanctioning murder, they (we) already do in numerous scenarios. A person may legally murder another person in self defense. War is another example. Police officers may murder a criminal who is recklessly endangering the public. There are multiple examples where state sanctioned murder is authorized while a person is engaged in an activity that's an imminent threat to the safety of others.

To pick semantic nits... I don't think I would I would term these "murder". I would describe it as "committing homicide". The follow-up investigation and courts, decide whether or not it is indeed "murder" based on whether it was legal or not.

Specifically, I would consider "legally murder" an oxymoron.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby jshuberg on Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:24 am

Fair enough, but there are people who believe that any taking of another persons life under any circumstance is wrong, and therefore murder. For those holding this belief there's no benefit to parsing the legal meaning of the words used, it's more about the underlying reasoning and philosophy as to when the taking of another persons life is justified.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby xd ED on Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:45 am

Fair point about my use of the term 'murder'. I should have worded it differently, as it is a pet peeve of mine when the media, a politician, or activist uses the term to describe a homicide. The Zimmermann/ Travon case for example.

I appreciate the reasoned discussion.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Previous

Return to In The News