Evolving, apparenly officer involved shooting

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Evolving, apparenly officer involved shooting

Postby Nat on Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:38 am

A permit holder ostensibly attempting to comply with an officer is shot dead and all you can do is worry about the reaction because he's black? Shouldn't WE be way out ahead of black lives matters in terms of outrage on this?
Secrets are the opposite of Freedoms
Nat

Postby goett047 on Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:45 am

xd ED wrote:
goett047 wrote:a warning stop where a permit holder was shot dead

Your point being...?

my point being that every stop no matter the reason has the potential of being a lethal encounter. Maybe we should reevaluate what constitutes a legal stop.
goett047

Postby goett047 on Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:45 am

Nat wrote:A permit holder ostensibly attempting to comply with an officer is shot dead and all you can do is worry about the reaction because he's black? Shouldn't WE be way out ahead of black lives matters in terms of outrage on this?

THIS!
goett047

Postby xd ED on Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:35 am

goett047 wrote:
Nat wrote:A permit holder ostensibly attempting to comply with an officer is shot dead and all you can do is worry about the reaction because he's black? Shouldn't WE be way out ahead of black lives matters in terms of outrage on this?

THIS!

I made one remark as to the racial component, because that was almost the entirety of the content of the comments/ threats on Facebook.
Do you doubt that this will become an lightning rod for the antis, regardless of the facts of the event?
Now as far as US getting outraged- tell me what happened(and how you know that), so we know the facts about that which we should be outraged.

I won't suggest it has any bearing on the primary incident, but do you not find it odd that a person's loved one gets shot sitting next to them and her infant child, and the first response is to immediately start live streaming a video to the internet? I am terribly perplexed by that behavior.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby xd ED on Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:38 am

goett047 wrote:
xd ED wrote:
goett047 wrote:a warning stop where a permit holder was shot dead

Your point being...?

my point being that every stop no matter the reason has the potential of being a lethal encounter. Maybe we should reevaluate what constitutes a legal stop.

Or, do what we can to minimize the probability of being stopped.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Nat on Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:56 am

xd ED wrote:I made one remark as to the racial component, because that was almost the entirety of the content of the comments/ threats on Facebook.
Do you doubt that this will become an lightning rod for the antis, regardless of the facts of the event?
Now as far as US getting outraged- tell me what happened(and how you know that), so we know the facts about that which we should be outraged.

I won't suggest it has any bearing on the primary incident, but do you not find it odd that a person's loved one gets shot sitting next to them and her infant child, and the first response is to immediately start live streaming a video to the internet? I am terribly perplexed by that behavior.

xd ED wrote:Or, do what we can to minimize the probability of being stopped.

What we know, right now is that a man with no history of violence or substance abuse (he passed the same background check we did), abiding by the same laws we do, was shot by a police officer. We know that the press typically questions the motivations of permit holders, and we know that they are overwhelmingly presenting the case FOR this particular permit holder. We know black people are more likely to be put in to an interaction with the police, and we know if the the rights of a black permit holder aren't immutable, then no one's are.

We know policing is a difficult job, and we know they deserve a chance to answer for this, and we know we respect due process and rule of law - but we also know we need to establish a burden of evidence that the police need to prove beyond reasonable doubt, the need to shoot a licensed permit holder.

Myself - I'll wait for a response, the video showed nothing before the shooting, I have no reason to believe this was malicious - but it sure as hell looks negligent, and I expect the flood of press impeaching the character of the permit holder to hit the fan here in the next day or two... but I have always, and I will continue to grant the benefit of the doubt to the permit holder - and I see little motivation for the police to investigate this impartially
Nat

Postby LePetomane on Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:13 am

That is another reason not to volunteer any info. Answer the questions. Period. Maybe this guy would be better off if he hadn't informed the officers he was armed.

And his idiot girlfriend more worried about providing narrative instead of calling for help on her cell phone?
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby ttousi on Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:06 am

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/07/07/mi ... tcmp=hpbt3

from the article

The officer tells her to keep her hands up and says, "I told him not to reach for it. I told him to get his hand out."

"You shot four bullets into him, sir. He was just getting his license and registration, sir," the woman responds.

one small item.......we all know MN doesn't require carrying auto registration. So is she misquoted / from out of state / ?..... MN Officers don't ask for registration.

What else is being reported that may not be "correct" I'll wait for more facts
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby atomic41 on Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:08 am

So we should race to be outraged...that's a fantastic idea...what could possibly go wrong? :roll:
atomic41

Postby Nat on Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:13 am

atomic41 wrote:So we should race to be outraged...that's a fantastic idea...what could possibly go wrong? :roll:

We should be concerned, and we should voice our concern. Outrage (my poorly stated early response) is an emotional reaction and produces little in way of effect.
Nat

Postby andrewP on Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:00 am

ttousi wrote:So is she misquoted / from out of state / ?

IIRC one of the articles I read said she was from out of state, yes. Indiana, I think?
andrewP

Postby MJY65 on Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:14 am

xd ED wrote:Or, do what we can to minimize the probability of being stopped.

Good point. I've been driving in MN for 36 years and have never been pulled over for any reason. Not sure how some manage to make it a frequent encounter.
MJY65

Postby goett047 on Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:15 am

LePetomane wrote:That is another reason not to volunteer any info. Answer the questions. Period. Maybe this guy would be better off if he hadn't informed the officers he was armed.

And his idiot girlfriend more worried about providing narrative instead of calling for help on her cell phone?

Whos she going to call?? The police?!
goett047

Postby atomic41 on Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:31 am

I'm not going to declare this a good or bad shoot because I was not there. But there are some things that need to be pointed out.

-IF this guy was a permit holder, he should have been taught that if you declare that you are carrying you should then ask the officer how to proceed and not reach for your gun. Do any of you know of a permit instructor that does not cover this? We don't know if he had a permit or not (girlfriend saying so on video means nothing), but if he did that was probably taught to him.

-The cop was not white...just throwing that out there early for the race pimps. In the video she called the cop "Chinese". So he was probably Hmong considering the location.

-We need body cameras!
atomic41

Postby Sorcerer on Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:56 am

Was the permit holder from MN or Indy? Just checked usgunlaws.com and Indy is no on must inform. If what I'm seeing here, the permit holder made some really bad moves. I was once stopped for speeding and the only way to get to my wallet was by moving my cover shirt. I made choose to inform as the trooper was coming up on the right side of the car. " I am a permit holder, I am carrying at 4 o'clock how do you wish to proceed?" With both hands on the steering wheel. Still got the ticket.
Edit: just checked, MN does not honnor Indy permit.
Last edited by Sorcerer on Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sorcerer

PreviousNext

Return to In The News