Philando Castile case. Officer charged

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby sprigfan on Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:39 am

Heard a lawyer on Barrero's KFAN show yesterday (don't remember his name) saying the 2nd degree manslaughter charge is a joke. Basically it's a charge for negligence, but it's not possible to be negligent when you shoot someone 7 times. He thinks the prosecutor is setting it up so the officer only gets convicted of discharging a firearm in city limits.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
sprigfan

Re: Philando Castile case. Officer charged

Postby Randygmn on Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:42 am

This should've gone to a grand jury. Why would a judge start this process, which is sure to be controversial, this way?
Randygmn

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:37 am

don't underestimate the "circle the wagons" union mentality, not to mention the civil lawsuit that can come from these cases that can really drain a cities pockets. There a limits on what the insurance company will cover on the Liability of the Officer. I wouldn't be surprised that Man2 is the upper limit of what the insurance company will still reimburse the city.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby MJY65 on Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:15 pm

yukonjasper wrote: There a limits on what the insurance company will cover on the Liability of the Officer.

I've often wondered if officers should be required to purchase their own liability insurance. That gets the city out of it and allows the rates to be determined by conduct. You have a whole bunch of excessive force complaints against you? Rates are going to be pretty high.
MJY65

Re:

Postby jdege on Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:38 pm

sprigfan wrote:Heard a lawyer on Barrero's KFAN show yesterday (don't remember his name) saying the 2nd degree manslaughter charge is a joke. Basically it's a charge for negligence, but it's not possible to be negligent when you shoot someone 7 times. He thinks the prosecutor is setting it up so the officer only gets convicted of discharging a firearm in city limits.

Did the officer think Castile was a deer?
jdege

Postby unfitmother on Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:04 pm

MJY65 wrote:I've often wondered if officers should be required to purchase their own liability insurance.

It's been proposed before. A novel approach to increased police accountability In Mpls.
Semper Gumby
unfitmother

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:27 pm

It is harder for young people to afford car insurance because the rate is higher due to limited experience. I would think same would translate to the liability insurance of officers just starting their careers...
gun_fan111v2

Postby crbutler on Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:53 pm

Given the Barreiro show is a left wing joke, that bit of legal advice is worth what the audience paid for it.

The negligence was in choosing to shoot, at least depending on how the jury looks at it. I would not want to be charged with it.

Charging the officer with manslaughter is much more likely to result in a conviction as the jury won't see it as railroading a cop in a tough job.

Let's just see what the jury thinks of the case and then start Monday morning quarterbacking the case after the process works out...
crbutler

Postby jdege on Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:26 am

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=609.205
609.205 MANSLAUGHTER IN THE SECOND DEGREE.
A person who causes the death of another by any of the following means is guilty of manslaughter in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than ten years or to payment of a fine of not more than $20,000, or both:
(1) by the person's culpable negligence whereby the person creates an unreasonable risk, and consciously takes chances of causing death or great bodily harm to another; or
(2) by shooting another with a firearm or other dangerous weapon as a result of negligently believing the other to be a deer or other animal; or
(3) by setting a spring gun, pit fall, deadfall, snare, or other like dangerous weapon or device; or
(4) by negligently or intentionally permitting any animal, known by the person to have vicious propensities or to have caused great or substantial bodily harm in the past, to run uncontrolled off the owner's premises, or negligently failing to keep it properly confined; or
(5) by committing or attempting to commit a violation of section 609.378 (neglect or endangerment of a child), and murder in the first, second, or third degree is not committed thereby.
If proven by a preponderance of the evidence, it shall be an affirmative defense to criminal liability under clause (4) that the victim provoked the animal to cause the victim's death.

I don't see how any of those apply to the situation at hand,
jdege

Postby Jack's My dog on Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:21 pm

jdege wrote:https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=609.205
A person who causes the death of another by any of the following means is guilty of manslaughter in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than ten years or to payment of a fine of not more than $20,000, or both:
(1) by the person's culpable negligence whereby the person creates an unreasonable risk, and consciously takes chances of causing death or great bodily harm to another; or
(2) by shooting another with a firearm or other dangerous weapon as a result of negligently believing the other to be a deer or other animal; or
(3) by setting a spring gun, pit fall, deadfall, snare, or other like dangerous weapon or device; or
(4) by negligently or intentionally permitting any animal, known by the person to have vicious propensities or to have caused great or substantial bodily harm in the past, to run uncontrolled off the owner's premises, or negligently failing to keep it properly confined; or
(5) by committing or attempting to commit a violation of section 609.378 (neglect or endangerment of a child), and murder in the first, second, or third degree is not committed thereby.
If proven by a preponderance of the evidence, it shall be an affirmative defense to criminal liability under clause (4) that the victim provoked the animal to cause the victim's death.

#1 seems to be applicable. ***Edited to add*** At least in the sense that the charge fits the situation better than Murder.

[i]Definition. A failure to behave with the level of care that someone of ordinary prudence would have exercised under the same circumstances. The behavior usually consists of actions, but can also consist of omissions when there is some duty to act (e.g., a duty to help victims of one's previous conduct).
Negligence | Wex Legal Dictionary / Encyclopedia | LII / Legal ...
https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/negligence
[/i]
Jack's My dog

Postby grimbeaver on Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:07 pm

gun_fan111v2 wrote:It is harder for young people to afford car insurance because the rate is higher due to limited experience. I would think same would translate to the liability insurance of officers just starting their careers...

Doctors face the same thing when they start out. I believe most of them have to pay their own malpractice insurance and it's not cheap.
grimbeaver

Postby bstrawse on Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:17 pm

He was charged under 609.205 (1).
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby tman on Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:27 am

grimbeaver wrote:
gun_fan111v2 wrote:It is harder for young people to afford car insurance because the rate is higher due to limited experience. I would think same would translate to the liability insurance of officers just starting their careers...

Doctors face the same thing when they start out. I believe most of them have to pay their own malpractice insurance and it's not cheap.

As it is, police officers receive qualified immunity, and are not personally liable for damages when they are acting as instruments of the state (within policy).

Are doctors acting under color of law?
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby jdege on Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:33 am

bstrawse wrote:

He was charged under 609.205 (1).

I don't see how shooting someone could be seen as negligence. It's not like he left a loaded gun on a table where it might fall and discharge and hurt someone. He didn't create a situation that put someone at risk, he pulled the trigger.
jdege

Postby crbutler on Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:32 am

Not following department policy on use of force can be negligent. I.e., he had no criminal intent.

He didn't intend to kill the guy, just stop his actions. If the jury states he did not comply, within a reasonable persons understanding, with his departments policy, and he knew the policy, he was negligent.
crbutler

PreviousNext

Return to In The News