The World almost came to and end, Thanks UPS

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: The World almost came to and end, Thanks UPS

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:01 am

SparkyJeff wrote:
hard h2o wrote:Law says anything shipped unsolicited to your abode is yours to keep.

Instead of going into lockdown I would say Oh look...free rifle? Merry Christmas to me.

even if it is labeled for delivery to someone else? At a different address?

I'm skeptical of this.
Are you a lawyer?

I play one on the interwebs, does that count?
Holland&Holland

Postby xd ED on Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:42 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
SparkyJeff wrote:
hard h2o wrote:Law says anything shipped unsolicited to your abode is yours to keep.

Instead of going into lockdown I would say Oh look...free rifle? Merry Christmas to me.

even if it is labeled for delivery to someone else? At a different address?

I'm skeptical of this.
Are you a lawyer?

I play one on the interwebs, does that count?

Me to.

Unsolicited merchandise is one thing - somebody sends you something you did not order, there is no obligation to return/ pay for it.
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0181-unordered-merchandise

However, (and I got no interlinks to back this up) were I to receive something of obvious potential value addressed to someone else, I would act as though it was not my property (because it wasn't) and notify the USPS.
It might be argued that even opening the package addressed to someone else/ another address was the wrong thing to do.
In the case of a firearm that crossed a state line, I suspect trying to keep it would be a bad idea.
Besides, it would make you look bad.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby MJY65 on Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:47 am

xd ED wrote:However, (and I got no interlinks to back this up) were I to receive something of obvious potential value addressed to someone else, I would act as though it was not my property (because it wasn't) and notify the USPS.

Absolutely, to do otherwise is stealing. Plain and simple. It's similar walking out of a store and realizing you weren't charged for an item in your cart. You can high five yourself on the great score, or do the right thing. The choice you make says a lot about your character.
MJY65

Postby mr.paul on Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:53 pm

I understand having the momentary fantasy of keeping it, but personal ethics would have me getting a hold of the recipient immediately! Golden rule time. But it also would be fun to ask the anti' s in New York if their world was less safe for a moment, at the mere presence of something so "evil" (cool). Would it fit in my stocking?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk
mr.paul

Postby crbutler on Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:18 pm

If someone send YOU unsolicited merchandise it is yours, but if it is misdelivered it was not unsolicited merchandise to you, it was solicited and misdelivered to someone else.
crbutler

Postby hard h2o on Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:04 pm

Personally I return it, contact the sender, contact the intended recipient.

It is the right thing to do.

There are numerous instances of people getting package meant for someone else, getting the wrong order, getting sent too many of what they ordered.

I believe the law says you can keep unsolicited merchandise to protect consumers from a company sending them stuff and then demanding payment.

https://consumerist.com/2012/12/05/when-we-ordered-one-ipad-and-best-buy-sent-five/

http://lifehacker.com/5969021/what-should-i-do-when-a-company-makes-a-mistake-in-my-favor

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0181-unordered-merchandise
hard h2o

Previous

Return to In The News