Mississippi River defensive gun use

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Mississippi River defensive gun use

Postby MJY65 on Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:54 am

photogpat wrote:I'm going to attend the Community Meeting at St Thomas tonight.

I feel like more details about the shooter, .............

I hope they reveal as little as possible about the shooter's identity.
MJY65

Postby photogpat on Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:59 am

MJY65 wrote:

I don't expect (or hope) we'll ever get the shooter's identity.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby xd ED on Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:05 am

MJY65 wrote:

^^^THIS^^^

If they opened the meeting to questions, it would be interesting to learn why they charged the accomplices as they did.
They are train wrecks in the making.

I suspect it will be a canned presentation to assure locals they are safe and the police have it all covered.
Were I in town tonight I might attend too.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby photogpat on Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:54 am

xd ED wrote:
^^^THIS^^^

If they opened the meeting to questions, it would be interesting to learn why they charged the accomplices as they did.
They are train wrecks in the making.

I suspect it will be a canned presentation to assure locals they are safe and the police have it all covered.
Were I in town tonight I might attend too.

I want to ask why the accomplices weren't charged with homicide due to having been participants in a felony leading to a death.
photogpat

Postby BigBlue on Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:43 pm

Wow, nice article telling it like it is from Soucheray:

http://www.twincities.com/crime/ci_28595670/joe-soucheray-st-paul-shooting-leaves-clear-lesson

But kids, the lessons to be learned are not complicated, not complicated at all. Don't steal cars. Don't rob people. Don't attempt to be courageous in the name of a ridiculous gang. Yes, it can be tough to keep your act together but never so tough that you resort to whimsical armed-robbery attempts. We have no evidence that these young men were quite literally hungry or desperate for anything.

They were ... playing gangster.

But when you play gangster you never know who you are going to run into, even at a confluence of bicyclists, joggers, stargazers and lovers, any one of which Broadbent could have been instead of a now lost soul.
BigBlue

Postby Squib Joe on Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:58 pm

photogpat wrote:I don't expect (or hope) we'll ever get the shooter's identity.

There is more than a slim chance that somebody on this forum knows this guy or that he is a member here himself. I would hope that we all respect his need for privacy and safety above all.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby ttousi on Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:32 pm

Squib Joe wrote:

There is more than a slim chance that somebody on this forum knows this guy or that he is a member here himself. I would hope that we all respect his need for privacy and safety above all.

Per the rules
3. Personal information about others must remain private. If the information about a member is not contained in their profile then it is considered private.

A swift and permanent ban to anyone publishing the persons identity
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby photogpat on Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:35 pm

SPPD are guarding the shooter's ID (and other victim) vigilantly due to "numerous death threats". As they should.

They will NOT be charging the accomplices with felony homicide.

For some reason...
photogpat

Postby ijosef on Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:17 pm

yukonjasper wrote:Worse than Heather and crew, this person will be under constant threat of retribution. It's part of the twisted thug life gangsta "code". It doesn't matter if your homey was in the wrong, someone has to pay.

Exactly. The thug was justifiably and rightfully put down. There is no legitimate revenge to be had, but the thug mentality doesn't allow them to see it that way. It's sickening that folks actually thing that way. Disagreements are disagreements - we argue about stuff all the time on these boards, but when it comes down to core issues, I think we all know right and wrong.

Unfortunately, a lot those types do not.
ijosef

Postby xd ED on Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:36 am

There hasn't yet been much news about the Thursday night meeting at St Thomas, but this paragraph offers some insights into the people and culture involved:

Senior Cmdr. Paul Iovino, in charge of the police department's western district, said .....

...it's clear gang activity had a lot to do with the incident last week as well as an incident Sunday night in which shots were fired during a vigil at the monument for Broadbent, the 16-year-old West St.
Paul boy who was killed and who was reportedly a member of the Shoota Boys Gang.
Iovino elicited gasps from the crowd when he revealed that the shots Sunday were fired not at the vigil but from the vigil. He said someone in the crowd saw a car approaching, mistook it for a rival gang member's car and opened fire. He said it turned out the car was driven by a friend bringing music to the vigil. No one was injured.

At forum, St. Paul residents fret about riverside robbery - TwinCities.com
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby xd ED on Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:00 am

photogpat wrote:SPPD are guarding the shooter's ID (and other victim) vigilantly due to "numerous death threats". As they should.

They will NOT be charging the accomplices with felony homicide.

For some reason...

That's truly unfortunate for everyone.

The only thing that stopped these thugs' ongoing rampage were the actions of an armed, private citizen.
There was an opportunity for the judiciary to step up and perform it's duty to protect society; primarily by isolating the perpetrators, and secondarily sending a message to all the wannabes - and mothers of wannabes that can do no wrong - that associating with people doing stupid things wins one stupid prizes as well.

An opportunity lost
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Ghost on Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:53 am

Squib Joe wrote:

The generalities would be interesting but I don't need to know the name.
Ghost

Postby BigBlue on Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:20 am

From that same article:

Residents also questioned and criticized the role of guns in the incident. Some asked whether the owner of the gun Broadbent got from a stolen car should be held responsible. Others asked questions about the man who killed Broadbent, such as whether he lived in the neighborhood, how many shots he fired and whether Broadbent lowered his gun before the man shot him.

Un-f-ing-believable!! What kind of mindset is that?? Hold the guy whose property was stolen responsible for what happened to it? That's some clear thinking.

How about holding the punks who stole it responsible? And the punks who robbed people? They are the ******** problem.
BigBlue

Postby LePetomane on Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:07 am

BigBlue wrote:From that same article:

Residents also questioned and criticized the role of guns in the incident. Some asked whether the owner of the gun Broadbent got from a stolen car should be held responsible. Others asked questions about the man who killed Broadbent, such as whether he lived in the neighborhood, how many shots he fired and whether Broadbent lowered his gun before the man shot him.

Un-f-ing-believable!! What kind of mindset is that?? Hold the guy whose property was stolen responsible for what happened to it? That's some clear thinking.

How about holding the punks who stole it responsible? And the punks who robbed people? They are the ******** problem.

This thinking provides insight into how the liberal mind works. Never assign blame where it is due if the perpetrators are of a certain racial or ethnic persuasion.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby photogpat on Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:11 am

There were a number of people who expressed outrage that the guy whose car (and guns) were stolen wasn't charged.

Also some predictable spouting off against the NRA - the antis are absolutely FURIOUS that this was a legitimate defensive use by a permit holder.
photogpat

PreviousNext

Return to In The News