I am VERY curious. Are any of you at all baffled by Boston?

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: I am VERY curious. Are any of you at all baffled by Boston?

Postby NMRMN on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:13 am

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety.
Member GOA | GOCRA | NRA
NMRMN

Postby 20mm on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:20 am

damian_mb wrote:^^ No, it's fake you consparicy theorist!!!

Like the pink pony says, put on that tin foil hate.

If you're going to call something fake you should disprove it or cite your sources.

Rather than making a personal attack on a forum member.
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
""Real men shoot 20mm." - FJ540
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Postby Heffay on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:01 pm

20mm wrote:

If you're going to call something fake you should disprove it or cite your sources.

That's not how it works. If someone has a theory that this is a conspiracy, the burden of proof is on them.

Until then, it's tinfoil hat time.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby 20mm on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:21 pm

Heffay wrote:That's not how it works. If someone has a theory that this is a conspiracy, the burden of proof is on them.

So now you decide how things work. Good luck with that!
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Postby White Horseradish on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:17 pm

I wouldn't say I'm baffled. I'm mildly surprised about those guys being Chechens. Their main opponent historically has been Russia, so attacking US doesn't make particular sense.

On the other hand, Chechens are fiercely tribal, and this could have something to do with some perceived insult to a relative, or something equally ridiculous.
"I have come to kick a** and chew bubblegum." <racks shotgun> "And I'm all out of bubblegum."

--John Nada, "They Live"
White Horseradish

Postby Heffay on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:19 pm

20mm wrote:
Heffay wrote:That's not how it works. If someone has a theory that this is a conspiracy, the burden of proof is on them.

Yes. I alone have decided how the scientific process and burden of proof happens. This is how I decree it, so you will just have to live with it.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby damian_mb on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:21 pm

20mm wrote:

Who am I attacking?

I believe I am attacking nobody. I guess some people need this at the end to actually see what I was saying... /sarcasm

If you've even read my posts, I've said I'll keep my tin foil hat on. :|
"It can never happen in Amurika"
damian_mb

Postby damian_mb on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:21 pm

Heffay wrote:
20mm wrote:

Yes. I alone have decided how the scientific process and burden of proof happens. This is how I decree it, so you will just have to live with it.

I agree, everything the magical pony says has to be true!! :D
"It can never happen in Amurika"
damian_mb

Postby 20mm on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:24 pm

Heffay wrote:
20mm wrote:

What sort of scientific research has been done on the bombings? What sort of criteria and burden of proof do the major new outlets use to vet information before publishing it?

Fast and Furious/Gunwalker never happened. Deal with it....

It's just a crazy tinfoil hat blogger with a vendetta.
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
20mm

Postby Heffay on Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:13 pm

20mm wrote:What sort of scientific research has been done on the bombings? What sort of criteria and burden of proof do the major new outlets use to vet information before publishing it?

Fast and Furious/Gunwalker never happened. Deal with it....

It's just a crazy tinfoil hat blogger with a vendetta.

I like that you've never shied away from the "they started it" defense for your actions. Another +1 for consistency!
Heffay

Postby Icmgwot on Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:59 pm

20mm wrote:

Come on now. That IS how things work. It has nothing to do with Heffay dictating. It's a fundamental tenant of reasoning. If you're going to completely ignore it, then don't be surprised if people brand you as irrational. Because that's pretty much the definition.

Here are a couple other very useful rules of thumb when trying to figure out the grand conspiracy:

The media, mainstream or otherwise, has been flat out terrible covering the Boston bombings. Boatloads of wrong information, completely contradictory reports from the same place, multiple versions of events, etc. Reporting is pretty much universally bad when trying to be timely. Getting your facts straight takes a back seat to scooping your competitors. So it's a really good idea to wait a month, or at the very least, dig harder to find ways to verify a news story. cf Mark Twain: A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Read up on Occam's Razor and his amazingly useful friend, Hanlon's Razor. If you've got an idea that goes against both of them, it's on some pretty shaky ground. If you've got the evidence to support it, great. But any theory that is both mind blowingly complicated and requires everyone else to be completely evil will be vastly less appealing than a simpler one that assumes people are imperfect.
Icmgwot

Postby goalie on Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:30 pm

Can someone please explain to me why anyone with half a neuron firing would try and tell people that THEY have to disprove YOUR conspiracy theory? Maybe present evidence that is compelling....

:roll:
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Previous

Return to In The News