Philando Castile case. Officer charged

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Philando Castile case. Officer charged

Postby wasfuzz on Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:37 pm

MJY65 wrote:
BU1 wrote:Seems simple to me. Keep your hands on the steering wheel until told to do otherwise and you won't get shot.

Tough to reach your license with hands on the wheel. I guess I'll have to get that out ahead of time and have it prominently displayed on the dash.

Nope that's called furtive movements and good way to get a gun screwed in your ear! When asked to get your DL, tell the officer were your weapon is and ask what he/she would like you to do! Real simple!!
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby wasfuzz on Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:42 pm

Ghost wrote:Link to tonight's extra curricular activities on I94
https://livestream.com/accounts/12767816/events/7508326

So glad our law makers did not pass the bill making that more of a crime than it already is, we would have stopped them from the "peaceful" protest if we had. :roll:
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
WI,IA Conceal Carry
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby FJ540 on Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:54 pm

wasfuzz wrote:
MJY65 wrote:
BU1 wrote:Seems simple to me. Keep your hands on the steering wheel until told to do otherwise and you won't get shot.

Tough to reach your license with hands on the wheel. I guess I'll have to get that out ahead of time and have it prominently displayed on the dash.

Nope that's called furtive movements and good way to get a gun screwed in your ear! When asked to get your DL, tell the officer were your weapon is and ask what he/she would like you to do! Real simple!!

I'm going to respectfully disagree, with explanation.

I was detained when I mentioned my carry permit and subsequent weapon. Had I immediately removed my wallet from my pocket upon coming to a complete stop, there would've been no question what my hands were doing when producing my license for the officer, and my side arm would never have been revealed or become subject to interest by the officer.

How did this result in detention, you might ask? They're required to do a serial number check on every firearm they encounter. By relinquishing my carry gun, he was obligated to complete such a check and as my luck would have it, their system was down for maintenance at 3am when the officer intended to input my data. Lucky me!

Had I never mentioned it, I would've been informed I had no trailer taillights and we would've discussed the fact that none were required as the tow vehicles lights were not obstructed. "Have a nice evening!" I'm not going to insist anyone follows my choice, but I will say that I won't be advising anyone of my carry status unless it might become an issue, and I will be taking appropriate actions to prevent that from happening in advance of any initial contact with any officers going forward. Never mentioning a gun has proven to be much better for me than declaring a legally possessed one.

Law Enforcement has enough to worry about, I'm not going to raise the threat level without a reason. Just like I typically don't argue anything on the side of the road. Had the aforementioned officer given me a fix-it ticket (or anything else), I would've thanked them for their service just the same (I did thank him after he gave me my pistol and magazine back) and taken the matter up with the hearings officer via a photo and a copy of the statute. I wasn't even given a warning, he just thought I should know the lights were out (which I did). Politeness goes a long way.
FJ540

Postby Rodentman on Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:50 am

Castile did not have his hands in full view after telling the LEO he was carrying, and WAS reaching for something. The defense resets. Oh, but not before eviscerating the testimony of Diamond Reynolds who was more interested in her 15 minutes of internet fame than helping her BF or attending to her daughter.
Rodentman

Postby BigBlue on Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:03 am

Rodentman wrote:His permit is irrelevant to the matter at hand. Castile said he was carrying, the LEO pulled his gun and told Castile not to reach for it, several times. Castile reached for something, but he reached. Who was his instructor?

From the trial:

http://www.twincities.com/2017/06/15/yanez-trial-with-jury-in-4th-day-of-deliberations-heres-what-witnesses-said-at-trial/

James Diehl

Instructor at Total Defense gun range in Ramsey, Minn., where Castile took his permit-to-carry class before acquiring his gun permit. He testified that it’s illegal to use marijuana and carry a firearm and also for an applicant to lie on a federal permit-to-carry application about use of illegal substances. The defense alleged at trial that Castile lied about his marijuana use when he applied for his permit and therefore he acquired it illegally.

The defense also alleged Castile was high at the time of shooting.

Diehl also testified that he instructs his students to first tell officers during traffic stops that they have a permit to carry before disclosing that they have the firearm. Relaying information in reverse order could “affect (an officer’s) mind-set,” Diehl testified. During cross examination, Diehl acknowledged that state law does not require motorists with permits to carry to reveal anything to police about their permit or firearm.
BigBlue

Postby goett047 on Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:12 am

Rodentman wrote:Castile did not have his hands in full view after telling the LEO he was carrying, and WAS reaching for something. The defense resets. Oh, but not before eviscerating the testimony of Diamond Reynolds who was more interested in her 15 minutes of internet fame than helping her BF or attending to her daughter.

That video may well have ended up helping the officer.
goett047

Postby FJ540 on Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:59 am

goett047 wrote:
Rodentman wrote:Castile did not have his hands in full view after telling the LEO he was carrying, and WAS reaching for something. The defense resets. Oh, but not before eviscerating the testimony of Diamond Reynolds who was more interested in her 15 minutes of internet fame than helping her BF or attending to her daughter.

That video may well have ended up helping the officer.

It most certainly did!

Had that idiot (the one who got shot) put his hands on the wheel and waited for further instruction he'd still be alive and we wouldn't be discussing how the cop got acquitted for taking him out.

In the situation I posted (above), I was asked to slowly exit the vehicle with my hands in front of me after informing the officer of my weapon's location and place my hands on my hood. He then took possession of my weapon, cleared it, and put it in his squad car. Then he came back and allowed me to produce my DL (never asked to see my permit), and let me back into my truck to wait for him to do the check(s). 35 minutes later he came back with my DL and gun, handed me my DL through the drivers door window and told me he'd place my gun on the passenger seat along with the magazine and formerly chambered round, and instructed me not to touch it until he was back in his squad.

I'm alive. Castile is not. Amazing how different the exact same encounter happened? Oh, it must have been because I was nearly the same age as him when this happened, and white. :roll:
FJ540

Postby Rodentman on Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:47 pm

I have more important stuff to do than read the trial transcript, namely find a route for my travels that won't be blocked by illegal demonstrations where Yanez is erroneously called a murderer. He was acquitted and rightfully so.
Rodentman

Postby jdege on Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:47 pm

Rodentman wrote:I have more important stuff to do than read the trial transcript, namely find a route for my travels that won't be blocked by illegal demonstrations where Yanez is erroneously called a murderer. He was acquitted and rightfully so.

I may have doubts about the quality of training in the St. Anthony PD, and about what actually happened, but I have no doubts about whether the evidence against Yanez met the burden of proof. It clearly didn't.
jdege

Postby unfitmother on Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:06 pm

Rodentman wrote:I have more important stuff to do than read the trial transcript, namely find a route for my travels that won't be blocked by illegal demonstrations where Yanez is erroneously called a murderer. He was acquitted and rightfully so.

Seems like somebody rained on your parade. Report them to the St. Anthony PD as a driver with a wide-set nose and a broken tail light and you won't have to worry about it happening again.
Semper Gumby
unfitmother

Postby Rodentman on Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:16 pm

Have it your way, Burger King. I'll make the call.
Last edited by Rodentman on Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rodentman

Postby wasfuzz on Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:24 pm

[quote="Nope that's called furtive movements and good way to get a gun screwed in your ear! When asked to get your DL, tell the officer were your weapon is and ask what he/she would like you to do! Real simple!![/quote]

I'm going to respectfully disagree, with explanation.
I was detained when I mentioned my carry permit and subsequent weapon. Had I immediately removed my wallet from my pocket upon coming to a complete stop, there would've been no question what my hands were doing when producing my license for the officer, and my side arm would never have been revealed or become subject to interest by the officer.[/quote]

Your actions had you dug for your wallet may or may not have been observed by the officer had you done that upon coming to a complete stop. That is the "furtive" movements I speak of, that is enough for a "articulate LEO" to be able to justify removing you from your car for his safety and submitting you to all kinds of stupid people tricks.
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
WI,IA Conceal Carry
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby Ghost on Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:40 pm

I hardly drive with a wallet in my pocket. I usually have it in a cup holder or the console.
Ghost

Postby FJ540 on Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:46 pm

I fail to see your point Donn. I got to do stupid people tricks when I didn't do furtive movements. Every time I've been prepared with my wallet out upon the officers approach, things went far better.
FJ540

Postby xd ED on Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:25 pm

FJ540 wrote:I fail to see your point Donn. I got to do stupid people tricks when I didn't do furtive movements. Every time I've been prepared with my wallet out upon the officers approach, things went far better.

I agree. If I'm stopped, the window is open, interior lights on, wallet on dash, engine off, hands at 10 and 2, before the officer gets to my car. No mention of guns/ permits, or any conversation not requested. Didn't stop me from getting a 51 in a 40 ticket last month, but it was a safe, respectful encounter.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

PreviousNext

Return to In The News