Nigerian trying to blow up jet

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Nigerian trying to blow up jet

Postby plblark on Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:17 pm

watch == we want to see where he goes so we can catch the big fish

I know, my cynicism is leaking through.
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby ex-LT on Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:56 pm

plblark wrote:watch == we want to see where he goes so we can catch the big fish

I know, my cynicism is leaking through.

Don't give the authorities any ideas. It's bad enough that we play "catch and release" with criminals, I don't want them doing it with terrorists. :badmood:
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby plblark on Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:05 pm

where have you been ... I'll bet they have been for YEARS
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby Norsesmithy on Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:38 am

user842 wrote:
westberg wrote:
Vlad wrote:How the EFFfffffff could he be elgible for a visa after dad turned him in? Is there a problem with the necessary departments communicating to each other... :shock: I would think that if you are on the no fly list, you also would be in-elgible for a visa for any reason...

He most likely had the visa before dad ratted on him.

Yes... And they said he was not on the 'no fly list'. He was on a terror watch list though... So same thoughts apply.

The "Watch List" has more than 5500 names, the "No Fly List" has less than a thousand.

Basically, the no fly list is for people we are pretty damn sure are terrorists.

The Watch list is for people we've seen hanging out with the wrong kids in the schoolyard.

I think I'd heard that the guy got on the watch list but no the no fly list because his father's suspicion was only one source, and any one single source isn't considered ironclad enough to get you to the next level.

Obviously the system didn't work hear.
Norsesmithy

Postby Stradawhovious on Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:07 am

This is one place where I think the Chinese have it right.

Step 1. Land plane
Step 2. Remove passengers
Step 3. Remove Terrorist
Step 4. Shoot Terrorist on the spot
Step 5. Send terrorist's family bill for cartridge used in "Clean up effort"

His father was a banker and could easily afford it.

As far as eligibility for a visa after being "turned in"...... Where does that end? It seems to me that placing everyone on the No Fly List that was accused by father, son, friend cousin etc. could quickly turn into McCarthyism.
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby RobD on Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:05 am

Stradawhovious wrote:His father was a banker and could easily afford it.

I'm still waiting on my deposit for helping out their prince.
Political Director - MN Gun Owners Caucus/PAC
NRA Instructor (BP, PPITH, PPOTH, Reloading, RSO)
Certified Glock Armorer - Permit to Carry Instructor - Aegis Outdoors
RobD

Postby drkarrow on Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:51 am

1911fan wrote:My original response when I heard this on the Radio, was that every one in his family should be dead by noon tomorrow. but then, his dad reported him as a terror nut job sometime last year. SO somebody in TSA messed up by not banning him.

When we find out who paid for his ticket and who paid for his bomb, we need to turn their town into a great smooth black glassy spot in the desert.

Be careful what you wish for, we may only get half of it. Lieberman wants us to go into Yemen now. Unfortunately he doesn't want to make a great smooth black glassy area, instead we'll be occupying three middle east countries.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/27/lieberman-the-united-stat_n_404241.html

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=385x417796
drkarrow

Postby hammAR on Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:49 pm

drkarrow wrote:Be careful what you wish for, we may only get half of it. Lieberman wants us to go into Yemen now. Unfortunately he doesn't want to make a great smooth black glassy area, instead we'll be occupying three middle east countries.

Maybe that isn't so bad, afterall they are slowly taking over Europe through breeding,
we could do the same....since all their guys are out and busy playing terrorist and martyr....... :o

IT IS A JOKE ALL YOU PC FOLKS....... :P
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby David on Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:31 pm

Pat wrote:I have been through Amsterdam's Schiphol airport dozens of times over the years. Their security makes any U.S. airport look like slackards.

I went through that airport, and a half-dozen other European airports, just last September, and I had the same impression. Their technology and procedures are as good as ours, and their people are better. Waaaaay better. They also manage to be polite and professional while they work, unlike a few of the TSA and U.S. Customs people I have encountered here. I'd be way more wary of a calm, professional, alert person any day than some rude, bored, "respect my authority" type.

I flew into/out of three different airports in Panama earlier this month, and even there I'd say the security procedures and people as good or better than here.
David

Postby Pat on Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:38 pm

David wrote:
Pat wrote:I have been through Amsterdam's Schiphol airport dozens of times over the years. Their security makes any U.S. airport look like slackards.

I went through that airport, and a half-dozen other European airports, just last September, and I had the same impression. Their technology and procedures are as good as ours, and their people are better. Waaaaay better. They also manage to be polite and professional while they work, unlike a few of the TSA and U.S. Customs people I have encountered here. I'd be way more wary of a calm, professional, alert person any day than some rude, bored, "respect my authority" type.

I flew into/out of three different airports in Panama earlier this month, and even there I'd say the security procedures and people as good or better than here.

The sad fact remains that we aren't going to do anything to make it better...
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Previous

Return to In The News