New terror threat ... Mumbai Style?

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

New terror threat ... Mumbai Style?

Postby Flip on Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:14 am

From: http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/us-credible-specific-threat-terrorist-attack/story?id=11747364

'Credible But Not Specific' Threat of New Terrorist Attack
Officials in Europe, US on High Alert for Commando-Style Raids After Capture of Suspected German Terrorist

US and European officials said Tuesday they have detected a plot to carry out a major, coordinated series of commando-style terror attacks in Britain, France, Germany and possibly the United States.

A senior US official said that while there is a "credible" threat, no specific time or place is known. President Obama has been briefed about the threat, say senior US officials.

(MORE INFO ON LINKED PAGE)

Note: Too much info copied from source. Trimmed to comply with new posting rules here: http://www.mnguntalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16918
Last edited by ttousi on Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: reduced copy to comply with posting rules
It seems that politicians are most useful when they accomplish nothing at all
Flip

Re: New terror threat ... Mumbai Style?

Postby peckerhead on Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:22 am

Oh WTF ever. OOOOOoooooohhhh here comes the big scary al Queda terrorists!! I'm SO scared!!

Do people honestly even believe this shiz any more?
peckerhead

Postby nyffman on Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:30 am

That's right. Nothing to worry about. Even your *resident says we can take a punch.

I said very early on, as a Senator and continue to believe, as a presidential candidate and now as president, that we can absorb a terrorist attack.

I wonder if he'd feel the same if it happened at the Whitehouse, while he was meeting with Andy Stern,Cass Sunstsein, John Holdren and Van Jones?
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby Srigs on Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:37 am

I have been expecting this type of attack for a while now. No I don't have a tin foil hat :P

I don't go to the Mall of America (most likely number one target in MN) with out two guns and lots of extra mags. I will be heading their tonight with the wife for dinner but avoid it like the plague on the weekends (most likely time IMHO for an attack). Schools would be the other type of attack I would be concerned about.
Srigs,

http://www.sideguardholsters.com
http://www.sideguardholsters.com/blog

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.
Srigs

Postby 1911fan on Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:17 am

I have to say I agree with srigs, I really don't want to give out my fears in public forum, but yeah, I think it is only a matter of time.

The only factor that does give me some confidence is that the people being suspected here of planning the attack, are not the same sorts of people as the ones who did 9/11. or the train bombings in europe. This is a much less sophisticated people who are from the tribal lands of the afghan/paki border region. While they are very good light infantry, I do not see them having the logistical ability to plan for the types of contingencies such an attack might bring, nor do I believe they have an awful lot of outside technical help.
1911fan

Postby rugersol on Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:51 am

Srigs wrote:I don't go to the Mall of America ... I will be heading their tonight

I ain't been there in years ... I thought they built a football field there, again? Image
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby ex-LT on Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:23 am

Srigs wrote:I have been expecting this type of attack for a while now. No I don't have a tin foil hat :P

I'm right there with you.

Before the 2008 election, when it was becoming apparent that BHO was going to be the Democrat nominee, a (now former) co-worker was gushing about how great he was. I told her in no uncertain terms that in terms of international diplomacy he was naive, and if he were to be elected, I fully expected a major terrorist attack either in the US or against Israel before his first (and hopefully only) term was completed.

Given where I worked at the time, my opinion went over like a turd in a punchbowl.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby xd ED on Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:27 am

1911fan wrote:I have to say I agree with srigs, I really don't want to give out my fears in public forum, but yeah, I think it is only a matter of time.

The only factor that does give me some confidence is that the people being suspected here of planning the attack, are not the same sorts of people as the ones who did 9/11. or the train bombings in europe. This is a much less sophisticated people who are from the tribal lands of the afghan/paki border region. While they are very good light infantry, I do not see them having the logistical ability to plan for the types of contingencies such an attack might bring, nor do I believe they have an awful lot of outside technical help.

I too am reluctant to voice my concerns, but the likelihood that I'd think of something these diabolical bastards hadn't is pretty slim. Low tech/ low org doesn't mean low effect. It will be a horrific tragedy, but anyone who is truly surprised hasn't been paying attention.
Last edited by xd ED on Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby bstrawse on Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:52 am

Removed at my request.
b
Last edited by bstrawse on Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby 1911fan on Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:58 am

WHile a blown up cafe or school bus is a horrible thing, I have much darker fears.

Hey Mods, can we move this behind the curtain
1911fan

Postby bstrawse on Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:59 am

Removed at my request.
Last edited by bstrawse on Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby plblark on Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:38 am

Crap. We have a whole community that has been seeing young men radicalized who then leave and go to fight in the wars. What if some small percent are going much more deliberately and quietly and then returning?
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby bstrawse on Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:50 am

1911fan wrote:WHile a blown up cafe or school bus is a horrible thing, I have much darker fears.

Hey Mods, can we move this behind the curtain

I'd like this moved if possible ;)
b
bstrawse

Postby mitchx3 on Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:07 am

Why would this be moved? I still don't understand this hiding information ****.

If you have non-public info start a thread in strategy (which is for all intents and purposes public anyway) or don't post.

FYI: we are at YELLOW right now. Nothing bad will happen until we get to at least ORANGe
mitchx3

Postby bstrawse on Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:29 am

mitchx3 wrote:Why would this be moved? I still don't understand this hiding information ****.

If you have non-public info start a thread in strategy (which is for all intents and purposes public anyway) or don't post.

FYI: we are at YELLOW right now. Nothing bad will happen until we get to at least ORANGe

Fair enough, I'll delete what I've posted so far.
b
bstrawse

Next

Return to In The News