Birdshot leads to annoyingly still alive home intruder

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Birdshot leads to annoyingly still alive home intruder

Postby PileDriver on Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:17 pm

Mecosta County homeowner fires several shots at intruder, causing multiple injuries

Douchebaggy comments by aforementioned douchebag repeat offender ensues.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/ ... fires.html
PileDriver

Re: Birdshot leads to annoyingly still alive home intruder

Postby nyffman on Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:27 pm

No criminal charges against the homeowner/victim as per statements made by the County prosecutor. However, he might as well lawyer up for the civil suit sure to be brought by the POS who broke in. :evil:
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby goalie on Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:45 pm

nyffman wrote:No criminal charges against the homeowner/victim as per statements made by the County prosecutor. However, he might as well lawyer up for the civil suit sure to be brought by the POS who broke in. :evil:

Not if they charge the intruder. :lol:
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby Snowgun on Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:46 am

Jaklevic said a homeowner has a right to defend himself from harm from an intruder and stop a fleeing felon.

Wut? Is this true?
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby PileDriver on Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:07 am

Snowgun wrote:
Jaklevic said a homeowner has a right to defend himself from harm from an intruder and stop a fleeing felon.

Wut? Is this true?

Minnesota: 609.065 "...or preventing the commission of a felony in the actor's place of abode." So who knows?

As for the story, I wasn't able to find that in Michigan law, but I was looking quickly. I did find this though: 600.2922b [hopefully] makes a lawsuit not possible.

[/bored]
Last edited by PileDriver on Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PileDriver

Postby Heffay on Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:46 am

What class taught me was that someone actively fleeing is no longer committing or planning to commit a felony. You don't shoot a robber who's trying to get out of your house.

Note that in no way am I defending the thief. I'm just saying the last 2 shots are going to get the homeowner in trouble.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby tullibee on Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:48 am

sorry, but I am NOT going to use birdshot for self-defense... well, at least not anythng less than 4 shot for sure! It may make the bad guys run away, but I'd rather up my odds for a positive outcome - buckshot seems like a better choice! :)
tullibee

Postby rugersol on Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:35 am

I hear a shotgun's a very effective home-defense weapon. I also hear buckshot's preferable.

I wonder if buckshot's more likely to penetrate sheetrock.

Add in limited maneuverability, and limited firepower, and increased difficulty in securing a hot, readily available shotgun from the neighbor kids, and I tend to think, with jest a pistol, I'm not missin' a whole helluva lot.

I wonder how many folks could actualy duplicate the accuracy with a shotgun, in a hurry, they daydream 'bout? I've seen some VERY good folks with a shotgun miss some VERY close 18in swuare targets.

I personally don't like the strategy where racking the action on a pump is gonna send the bad guy packin' ... but considering the likelihood that'd be the case, vs. actually only wounding an intruder, and endin' up like this guy, I reckon that ain't half bad.

[/bored]
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby goalie on Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:57 am

ahrens wrote:
Add in limited maneuverability, and limited firepower, and increased difficulty in securing a hot, readily available shotgun from the neighbor kids, and I tend to think, with jest a pistol, I'm not missin' a whole helluva lot.

While it may be easier to carry a handgun, or keep it from the neighborhood kids, if you think that "you are not missing a whole helluva lot" with the difference between a handgun and a shotgun, you are wrong.

Edit: oh and I would use real ammo in mine, not something suited for breaking pieces of clay.
Last edited by goalie on Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
goalie

Postby timwarner on Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:09 am

If your shotgun had a bad ass 225 lumen light, side saddle, and speedfeed stock on it, I'm sure you'd chose that over a pistol.

No need to rack, cause it stays 7+1 #4 shot, slugs in the sidesaddle, buckshot in the stock.

The only thing I'd like, but can't find a decent one, is a sling. I'd like 1 point, got the mount for it. But every single point I've tried is way too long. Made for w/body armor or bigger guys. Does anyone make one in kids size?
Tim
USPSA club MN07
http://ipsc.krok.us
timwarner

Postby rugersol on Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:59 am

I didn't say a shotgun weren't effective. ... 'er even devastating.

Jest that all things considered, in the hands of someone who actually practices shooting fast, and still hitting what they want, I don't see any significant advantage as to the desired outcome.

Again, if most folks are successful in scarin' off the bad-guy rackin' the action, I'd guess they'd be better off, no matter how ya slice it. God help 'em if he ain't scared, though.
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby goalie on Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:10 am

ahrens wrote:Jest that all things considered, in the hands of someone who actually practices shooting fast, and still hitting what they want, I don't see any significant advantage as to the desired outcome.

You may not see the advantages, but they are there. HUGE advantages. It is hard to overstate the difference between a shotgun with slugs or a large buckshot and a handgun.

Then again, you might have a lot of experience using a handgun against people trying to kill you, and be fine with the results you've experienced.
goalie

Postby 1911fan on Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:17 am

re: the quote about being able to shoot a fleeing felon.
Thats not the case in this state, but it is in some others. Do not use Mich or other state laws to make judgments on the use of force in this state.
1911fan

Postby timwarner on Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:26 am

1911fan wrote:re: the quote about being able to shoot a fleeing felon.
Thats not the case in this state, but it is in some others. Do not use Mich or other state laws to make judgments on the use of force in this state.

Ah, the voice of reason.
Tim
USPSA club MN07
http://ipsc.krok.us
timwarner

Postby WWJD on Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:31 am

timwarner wrote:
1911fan wrote:re: the quote about being able to shoot a fleeing felon.

Ah, the voice of reason.

What is with these REASONABLE guys :roll:
WWJD
Stomp on your goolies, abuse Justabullet catcher, make you give up the info right there and then and then save the world.
IF LIFE WAS ONLY THAT EASY, AND JUSTA WASN'T A PLONKER...BLISS!

FU.. Pei Ying Brit...can I pee on your sofa?!!!
WWJD

Next

Return to In The News