You had to know it was coming.........

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

You had to know it was coming.........

Postby nyffman on Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:50 am

Gun control activists cried it was time to reform weapons laws in the United States, almost immediately after a gunman killed six and injured 14 more, including Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, in Arizona on Saturday.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/01 ... z1Acm5MQ00
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Re: You had to know it was coming.........

Postby macphisto on Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:33 am

no one should be able to buy stockpiles of ammunition used by the 22-year-old assailant.

WTF does this even mean? It's my understanding that he used about 20 rounds and had approximately 100 on his person. So what's the proposed limit? Either way, it's laughable. Besides, you usually amass a stockpile over time, not in one shopping trip. How do you legislate against that? I don't really want to know.

He will introduce a bill that would make it a crime for anyone to use language or symbols that could be seen as threatening or violent against a federal official, including a member of Congress.

The implications are disturbing. This attempt to fabricate a cause-and-effect relationship between crosshair icons on map representing hotly-contested races and murder is just retarded.

Finally, speaking of retarded, I wonder if McCarthy has figured out what a barrel shroud is yet.
Last edited by macphisto on Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
macphisto

Postby Gecko, Extra Crispy on Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:02 am

“The ability to buy a weapon that fires hundreds of bullets in less than a minute."

Like almost every semi auto gun out there. or a revolver if your like Strady Miculek
Gecko, Extra Crispy

Postby Tommy Gun on Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:25 am

McCarthy’s spokesman confirmed the legislation will target the high-capacity ammunition clips the Arizona gunman allegedly used in the shooting...

Ah, yes. those "high-capacity ammunition clips". :roll:

[sarcasm]It would have been much less tragic if he had had only 10 rounds per "clip". [/sarcasm]
When you are on the horns of a dilemma, shoot the bull right between the eyes.
Tommy Gun

Postby Pezhead on Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:33 am

I was flipping through the channels last night and caught just a little Geraldo. If I remember he was talking to the sheriff and made some comment about assault weapons etc. The sheriff said if I remember correctly that those are all ready regulated, and the guy had passed a background check. The guy didn't play into Geraldo's gun control(I can't think of the word I want to use).
On a side note they had one of his college professors that said he didn't like to have his back to him.
Pezhead

Postby Tommy Gun on Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:53 am

What I want to know is, where are the news stories about paranoid schizophrenia? I've seen all kinds of stories about Palin's "cross-hair ads", the rhetoric of the Tea Party Movement, blah, blah, blah. Nobody that I have seen or heard has said much about this whack-job's derangement beyond making a superficial reference on the way to attacking legal gun ownership by law abiding citizens.
When you are on the horns of a dilemma, shoot the bull right between the eyes.
Tommy Gun

Postby Heffay on Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:58 am

As usual after a tragedy, there is a lot of people screaming for "something to be done." Give it a couple of months. All the legislation surrounding this will quietly fade away. This is just politicians and groups rabble-rousing to get attention.

:angryvillagers:

From my understanding, she was a pro-gun Blue Dog democrat, so it would be interesting to hear what she thinks should happen in the way of gun legislation as a result of this incident.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby photogpat on Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:12 am

No one is talking about the kid's college. They thought him mentally unstable and wouldn't allow him back to class without a Dr's authorization.

If he's so dangerous -- why not have him committed involuntarily? I haven't heard anyone calling for this yet....no its BAN GLOCKS and high capacity "CLIPS"...

See...then if you start talking about "involuntarily" committing someone -- then the ACLU gets all up in arms about restricting civil liberties. Ironic in that they're all calling for THAT now!
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Heffay on Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:17 am

photogpat wrote:See...then if you start talking about "involuntarily" committing someone -- then the ACLU gets all up in arms about restricting civil liberties. Ironic in that they're all calling for THAT now!

Well, there is a whole other range of issues with involuntary commitments. In hindsight, a lot of things could have been done. Same thing with the VT shooter. Lots of red flags, and lots of people not really doing their jobs.

Weirdly enough, both of them used a Glock 19 (I think)...
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby hammAR on Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:27 am

Heffay wrote:Weirdly enough, both of them used a Glock 19 (I think)...

It's the assassins choice.............

Self Described CIA Assassin Dies of Glock Leg

Roland Haas, a self-described CIA assassin, accidentally killed himself last Saturday in Newnan, according to authorities.

Roland Haas, who died at age 58, once described his work as "the dirtiest end of a dirty business." He wrote a 2007 memoir that some praised as a gritty, realistic account of Cold War spying. Others called him a fraud.

In the book, “Enter the Past Tense: My Secret Life as a CIA Assassin,” Haas wrote that he was a 19-year-old Purdue University student on an NROTC scholarship in 1971 when the CIA recruited him to be a deep cover operative.
Read More.......

Haas died after accidentally shooting himself in the leg and rupturing his femoral artery, Major James Yarbrough of the Coweta County Sheriff's Office told the Times-Herald of Newnan.
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby mrp on Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:05 am

macphisto wrote:
no one should be able to buy stockpiles of ammunition used by the 22-year-old assailant.

WTF does this even mean? It's my understanding that he used about 20 rounds and had approximately 100 on his person. So what's the proposed limit? Either way, it's laughable. Besides, you usually amass a stockpile over time, not in one shopping trip. How do you legislate against that?

Ammo is only available at gun ranges and you must return any unfired rounds at the end of each session. You may, of course, carry a limited number (2) of self defense rounds, which are issued by the local sheriff and contain tracking features so the casing and bullet can be traced back to you.

macphisto wrote:I don't really want to know.

Oh, sorry.
mrp

Postby John S. on Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:54 am

This morning on The Early Show: Parents of 9yo Christina Green, victim!

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/01/ ... rPromoArea

Hill noted, "This has become a little political, on both sides, people pointing fingers. Talking about that. Is that hard for you to hear?"

Roxanna Green said, "I haven't listened to any of it, so I don't really know, but I can imagine."

"That just makes me even more angry," John Green said. "That's not what this is about. This is a random act of cowardice."

"A senseless act," Roxanna Green added.

John Green continued, "It shouldn't be used for that. People need to realize that you know, you don't settle your issues with guns. If you have issues handle it directly with the person."

Sounds like Dad has an opinion about all the political crap.

Hill noted, "There's a man who's being held as a suspect in your daughter's death. Is there anything that you want to see happen in terms of justice for your own sake, for the person who killed your daughter?"

John Green said, "My wife is very forgiving in that regard. I'm a little about the Old West. It's a fairly clear-cut case, and I'm a fan of capital punishment in this regard."

Hill asked him, "Would you say anything to him if you had the opportunity?"

"No," he said. "I wouldn't care to even talk to the guy, because that would, that wouldn't change anything. My daughter's gone and she's not coming back. Again, that would be a waste of breath."
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. -- P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian
John S.

Postby Pezhead on Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:07 pm

Just saw the interview witht the dad on FOX. He doesn't think we need more restrictions.(I haven't looked to see if it's posted yet)
It's very tragic & my thoughts and Prayer's go out to the families.
Pezhead

Postby hammAR on Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:19 pm

GOP: Shooting Not Owing to Lax Gun Laws
By Joseph Weber

Congressional Republicans said Sunday that the weekend shooting of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, Arizona Democrat, was not the result of lax U.S. gun laws and that the incident should not result in tougher regulations.

"We have to be careful," Rep. Raul Labrador, Idaho Republican, said on NBC's "Meet the Press." "Washington, D.C., had seven murders last week, and it has some of the most strict gun laws in the U.S."

Sen. Rand Paul, Kentucky Republican, said on "Fox News Sunday" that the shooting at a Tuscon, Ariz., shopping center in which six people were killed and 14 others injured was "unrelated" to Arizona's gun laws.

"The weapons don't kill people, it's the individual that kills people," said Mr. Paul, who like Mr. Labrador, is severing his first term in Congress.

Read more: GOP: Shooting Not Owing to Lax Gun Laws
Important: Do You Support Pres. Obama's Re-Election? Vote Here Now!
Read More.......
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby MrVvrroomm on Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:30 pm

I just listed to it, you'll have to go to MPR's website to hear it, but....

A certain LE official from Chaska chimed in about the "evil assault weapons". :roll: :roll: :roll:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Certified Glock Armorer

engnerdan wrote:First he beat me up on the price. Then he made me deliver it. Then he made me drive to Roseville to pick up my money.
MrVvrroomm
Changed

Next

Return to In The News