Al Frickin on WCCO this morn.............

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Al Frickin on WCCO this morn.............

Postby John S. on Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:31 pm

Said they are going to work on a clip bill. After the Arizona mentally ill clip monster! :o :? :roll:
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. -- P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian
John S.

Re: Al Frickin on WCCO this morn.............

Postby dragonb8 on Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:15 am

They can regulate clips all they want.
Just don't touch my magazines. :mrgreen:
- I didn't invent the circle of life. I'm just a participant. -
dragonb8

Postby Steelheart on Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:14 am

I'd hope that it wouldn't pass but won't bet on it.

Just means that if you don't have lots of full capacity magazines on hand you should get them for the future. Don't forget to get extras for trading material if you can afford it. :D

Steelheart
NRA & GOA member, http://www.taurusarmed.net/
http://www.appleseedinfo.org/ Basic Rifle Marksmanship with some neat history thrown in.
Steelheart

Postby ijosef on Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:00 am

I agree wholeheartedly. Let them restrict clip capacity to 10 or less as long as they leave magazines alone. That way, those with Garands and revolvers using rimless cartridges won't have to worry. "Well sir, this half-moon clip only holds three rounds, so it's still legal."
ijosef

Postby tazdevil on Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:10 am

So how would that work for the clips/mags already owned? Would they be illegal to own and have to be turned in for 10 round clips, or is the good old "grandfather" clause applicable there?
1911 Fan quote in memoirium about carrying:
The purpose of a firearm in a defensive situation is to make the other guy leak from holes he was not born with. Your job is to install those orifices for him.
tazdevil

Location: over your shoulder, whispering sweet nothings in your ear.

Postby DeanC on Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:17 am

Under the proposed bill, existing magazines would be grandfathered but it would be illegal to sell them or give them away after the effective date.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby jdege on Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:46 pm

DeanC wrote:Under the proposed bill, existing magazines would be grandfathered but it would be illegal to sell them or give them away after the effective date.

The way I read the bill, it would ban any firearm with an internal magazine of more than ten rounds, except for tubular magazine .22s.

http://carolynmccarthy.house.gov/uploads/mccarthy-magazine_bill.pdf
jdege

Postby tazdevil on Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:01 pm

Thanks for the link, it's covered here:
Pre‐Enactment Devices
 Prohibits the transfer or import (but not possession) of large capacity ammunition feeding devices manufactured before the date of enactment of this bill
Exemptions
 Allows for the following exemptions to the ban (identical to the original law): o Active law enforcement
o Protection of nuclear materials o Retiredlawenforcementfordevicestransferredtothematretirement o Authorized testing or experimentation
Major changes from the ’94 law:
 Prohibits the importation of the devices  Bans the transfer of devices in existence before the enactment of the bill (allows for
continued possession)

So as long as you owned the clip/mag before this, it won't be illegal to have/use. However, when repair is needed, that's not addressed. This still looks like knee-jerk reactionism to a tragedy instead of thinking things through.
1911 Fan quote in memoirium about carrying:
The purpose of a firearm in a defensive situation is to make the other guy leak from holes he was not born with. Your job is to install those orifices for him.
tazdevil

Location: over your shoulder, whispering sweet nothings in your ear.

Postby JohnGageMN on Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:32 am

tazdevil wrote: This still looks like knee-jerk reactionism to a tragedy instead of thinking things through.

Well, yeah. What else do you expect out of a group of politicians whose views are pretty much always driven by irrational emotion?
<= Helping save stupid people from themselves since 1997.

crbutler wrote:About this time frame I began to look on Glock owners as being incestuous relatives of Lucifer.
JohnGageMN

Postby Rem700 on Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:27 pm

jdege wrote:
DeanC wrote:Under the proposed bill, existing magazines would be grandfathered but it would be illegal to sell them or give them away after the effective date.

The way I read the bill, it would ban any firearm with an internal magazine of more than ten rounds, except for tubular magazine .22s.

http://carolynmccarthy.house.gov/uploads/mccarthy-magazine_bill.pdf

So my high capacity 10+rd non .22cal lever action rifles would be illegal to sell or give away.
Guess maybe I shouldnt have referred to them as a HBAR in the past.
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Return to In The News