All guns are always loaded

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: All guns are always loaded

Postby hammAR on Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:46 pm

farmerj wrote:Welcome to the mentality of the modern military.

Anytime you come inside the wire. Clearing barrel procedure. Chowhall, clearing barrel. It's a set-up for screw ups for stuff like this.

Give em all a gun, but treat em like babies and don't teach em how to handle a gun.

Best training we ever did in our unit was to have them all walk around with a magazine with 5 blanks in the magzine. It showed a lot on who was paying attention during training.

Kind of a large generalization....."mentality of the modern military"....... :?
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby farmerj on Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:57 pm

hammAR wrote:Kind of a large generalization....."mentality of the modern military"....... :?

No it's not.

Anyone who ends up in a leadership position ends up with the idea that a soldier can't have a gun. Gotta lock it up. where's your weapon. They're gonna have a negligent discharge.

Why there are clearing barrels.
Why soldiers aren't allowed to keep weapons in the barracks.

Granted, it comes down from the top, but the mentality is there.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby Magnum Mikie on Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:20 pm

Snowgun wrote:I thought that putting "Capable of firing with magazine removed" warnings on the sides of guns has fixed all these problems... 8-)

My Bersa .380 Thunder has a "magazine safety" and can not be fired with the mag removed. I use to think this feature was a PITA, but I guess it's not after-all. Strange enough, my Bersa .45 doesn't have this feature.
Magnum Mikie

Postby redaudi on Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:23 pm

I'd temper that by saying anyone outside of Infantry or Cav in a leadership position ends up with the 'keep the guns out of their hands' mentality.

Unless you're deployed, in which case the only time you DON'T have you're weapon is if you're on Balad or in the IZ and they have a pool. No guns in the pool, lol.
O.o derp
redaudi

Postby farmerj on Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:29 pm

redaudi wrote:I'd temper that by saying anyone outside of Infantry or Cav in a leadership position ends up with the 'keep the guns out of their hands' mentality.

Unless you're deployed, in which case the only time you DON'T have you're weapon is if you're on Balad or in the IZ and they have a pool. No guns in the pool, lol.

I was in both a mech inf and an mp unit and the mentality was there. Engineer units were worse.

Cav unit I went to kosovo with was no better
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby Snowgun on Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:33 pm

redaudi wrote: No guns in the pool, lol.

But do they keep them next to the tanning lotion like westberg? :)
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby gyrfalcon on Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:37 pm

Magnum Mikie wrote:My Bersa .380 Thunder has a "magazine safety" and can not be fired with the mag removed. I use to think this feature was a PITA, but I guess it's not after-all. Strange enough, my Bersa .45 doesn't have this feature.

That "feature" kinda sucks...do you know if it can be disabled easily? It's nice to have the option to discharge the round in your chamber while doing a mag change. Then again there are different opinions on chaining out your mags, especially if you're in a gunfight...
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby Magnum Mikie on Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:00 pm

gyrfalcon wrote:
Magnum Mikie wrote:My Bersa .380 Thunder has a "magazine safety" and can not be fired with the mag removed. I use to think this feature was a PITA, but I guess it's not after-all. Strange enough, my Bersa .45 doesn't have this feature.

That "feature" kinda sucks...do you know if it can be disabled easily? It's nice to have the option to discharge the round in your chamber while doing a mag change. Then again there are different opinions on chaining out your mags, especially if you're in a gunfight...

I have not even looked for a way to disable it. I've just resolved to the fact that I change the mag when the slide remains open after the final round is fired.
Magnum Mikie

Postby BlackEagl on Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:08 pm

gyrfalcon wrote:

Take off the grip, and remove the bar that's back there. That's how I did it on my bersa thunder. VERY simple.
BlackEagl

Postby gyrfalcon on Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:00 am

BlackEagl wrote:Take off the grip, and remove the bar that's back there. That's how I did it on my bersa thunder. VERY simple.

Oh that's good to know! I was thinking a bar or lever was just removed it would permanently prevent the firearm from shooting.
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Previous

Return to In The News