All guns are always loaded

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

All guns are always loaded

Postby macphisto on Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:51 pm

Police said Walter Gislason, 75, of Willmar, was handling a .380-caliber handgun owned by Bruce Gomm, 43, of New London. The two men were in the parking lot at Persepolis restaurant in Willmar when the gun discharged, striking Gislason in the finger.

Police Chief David Wyffels said Gomm removed the clip but one round apparently remained in the chamber.

The rest here: http://www.wctrib.com/event/article/id/78861
macphisto

Re: All guns are always loaded

Postby hammAR on Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:24 pm

apparently...............you must be kidding........... :doh:
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby macphisto on Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:29 pm

Sneaky little bastards, those chambered rounds.
macphisto

Postby ijosef on Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:19 am

I've found that it's an extremely important thing to teach people who are new to guns, even if you've already showed them how everything works. When I take friends or family out shooting for the first time, I always load a magazine, fire off a few rounds, then drop the magazine out of the gun. I show them that I've removed the loaded mag from the weapon, then fire off another shot at the target. You'd be surprised at the amount of people who are shocked that this can happen.

I'm guessing that the old "removing the magazine but not clearing the chamber" mistake has caused quite a few accidents.
ijosef

Postby redaudi on Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:54 am

same **** happens all the time deployed. You'd be surprised how many SOLDIERS, who are TAUGHT this ****, leave rounds in the chamber after dropping their mags.

as an NCO, it drives me insane.

PULL YOUR CHARGING HANDLE. (or slide in the case of an auto handgun)

at least there are clearing barrels outside of bldgs overseas. makes sure you fire off that round into a 55 gallon drum of sand, instead of having a chambered round in a dining facility. granted, a negligent discharge is no fun to be charged with, lol
O.o derp
redaudi

Postby Snowgun on Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:58 am

I thought that putting "Capable of firing with magazine removed" warnings on the sides of guns has fixed all these problems... 8-)
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby Snowgun on Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:00 am

redaudi wrote:at least there are clearing barrels outside of bldgs overseas. makes sure you fire off that round into a 55 gallon drum of sand, instead of having a chambered round in a dining facility. granted, a negligent discharge is no fun to be charged with, lol

Say, how does the procedure on this work? It seems to me that if you can't remember to clear your chamber you arn't going to remember to fire into the barrel... :?
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby redaudi on Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:01 am

often times, if base/unit/theater/whatever procedure is set that way, there are guards outside of the doors who refuse to let you enter the bldg till you have cleared your weapon.

but yeah, stupid people suck.
O.o derp
redaudi

Postby ijosef on Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:49 am

Wow, that's the second military person I've heard say the same. I've always been a civilian, but a coworker of mine (who was also in Iraq) told me that he saw or heard it happen more than once. They drop the magazine, but forget about the chambered round.

Snowgun - actually that warning on magazines only solved half the problem. Ruger solved the rest of it by stamping "Before using this gun-read warnings in instruction manual available from Sturm Ruger & Co. Inc. Southport, Conn U.S.A." on the barrels of their handguns.
ijosef

Postby farmerj on Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:27 am

redaudi wrote:same **** happens all the time deployed. You'd be surprised how many SOLDIERS, who are TAUGHT this ****, leave rounds in the chamber after dropping their mags.

as an NCO, it drives me insane.

PULL YOUR CHARGING HANDLE. (or slide in the case of an auto handgun)

at least there are clearing barrels outside of bldgs overseas. makes sure you fire off that round into a 55 gallon drum of sand, instead of having a chambered round in a dining facility. granted, a negligent discharge is no fun to be charged with, lol

seen more than one round go off that way. Including an E9 who couldn't figure out why he kept firing when he would remove a round, drop the mag and fire into the barrel each time.... :hide:

Supposed to be:

Muzzle to clearing barrel, Drop magazine, Pull slide and verify clear, Release slide and let bolt go forward on EMPTY chamber. Pull trigger with muzzle in clearing barrel.

Guess how many reversed these two...."Drop magazine, Pull slide and verify clear"
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby gyrfalcon on Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:51 am

I suppose I can excuse leaving a bullet in the chamber, pointing the gun in a safe direction and pulling the trigger to make sure the weapon is cleared... What's completely inexcusable is shooting yourself or someone else when doing so.
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby farmerj on Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:58 am

gyrfalcon wrote:I suppose I can excuse leaving a bullet in the chamber, pointing the gun in a safe direction and pulling the trigger to make sure the weapon is cleared... What's completely inexcusable is shooting yourself or someone else when doing so.

Treat every gun to be loaded. It's still a serious screw up.

Would you do that in your basement? Your gun locker?
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby gyrfalcon on Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:13 am

farmerj wrote:Would you do that in your basement? Your gun locker?

Yeah it's still a big screw up, but if I did ND a round it would not hurt those around me. At the most it would kill one of my poor cats, but they're already well versed in escape & evasion and using cover to their advantage.
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby Hammer99... on Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:15 am

He broke all four rules. Pretty careless....
I love it when a plan comes together!
Hammer99...

Postby farmerj on Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:29 am

Hammer99... wrote:He broke all four rules. Pretty careless....

Welcome to the mentality of the modern military.

Anytime you come inside the wire. Clearing barrel procedure. Chowhall, clearing barrel. It's a set-up for screw ups for stuff like this.

Give em all a gun, but treat em like babies and don't teach em how to handle a gun.

Best training we ever did in our unit was to have them all walk around with a magazine with 5 blanks in the magzine. It showed a lot on who was paying attention during training.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Next

Return to In The News