Shooting lawsuit charges Gander MT with negligence

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Shooting lawsuit charges Gander MT with negligence

Postby TC95GT on Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:39 am

Full Story

JOHNSON CITY — The corporate owner of a sporting goods store frequented by gunman Jiverly Wong has been named in a $3.75 million wrongful death lawsuit, the first filed in relation to the April 3, 2009, shootings at the American Civic Association.

Samir Muhammad Al-Salihi, whose wife, Layla Salman Khalil, was among the 13 victims of the shooting, filed a civil suit in state Supreme Court on Friday demanding compensatory payment from Gander Mountain Inc., the owner of the Johnson City store that he alleges sold at least four semi-automatic pistols and ammunition to Wong in 2008 and 2009.
"It is not enough to just obey Big Brother, you must love him, too." 1984 by George Orwell
TC95GT

Re: Shooting lawsuit charges Gander MT with negligence

Postby Hammer99... on Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:55 am

“It’s not like you’re selling tissue paper. You’re selling a handgun,” Fischer said. “One of its primary purposes is shooting people. … I think it’s incumbent on the seller of the weapon to make that personal judgment.”

From me....
It’s not like you’re selling tissue paper. You’re selling cars, One of its primary purposes is crashing. … I think it’s incumbent on the seller of the auto to make that personal judgment.

And if they refused to sell guns to a** holes. I would have a kick a** car but sadly no guns....
I love it when a plan comes together!
Hammer99...

Postby bstrawse on Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:57 am

This in New York State, where he needed a state license to buy and possess anything.

The lawsuit was an interesting read.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby tman on Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:07 am

bstrawse wrote:This in New York State, where he needed a state license to buy and possess anything.

b

Umm...Pretty generic...I'm very surprised that Gander is the only defendant here. Shouldn't the venue be named, the group sponsoring the ESL class, and everyone else under the sun?
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby Quasar on Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:46 am

I'm Originally from the area and have frequented this very store. I know several people who had to clean up after this shooting.

To even hold a pistol in this store you MUST present your pistol permit, same with buying pistol ammunition . After the paper work is filled and the gun is paid for you take the receipt to the sheriff's where they take the serial number make and model down and print it on your pistol permit. After that and a waiting period I believe, you can go back to Gander and finally pick up the pistol. That is New York for you.

The shooter went through this process several times. He was one of those guys who would buy something, obsess about it for a while then take it back because he didn't like it. In the end none of these long winded processes to buy a gun prevented anything.
"Stay thirsty my friends"
Quasar

Postby ComradeBurg on Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:37 am

bstrawse wrote:This in New York State, where he needed a state license to buy and possess anything.

b

Are you implying something citizen?

We of the state government make no mistakes. Although we issued the permit that allowed the person to purchase those handguns it was the Gander Mountain store that sold them. Our consent is irrelevant! We considered bringing charges up against every employee of that store for being accomplices in allowing dangerous weapons to be placed in the hands of a peasant. Be grateful that we are so magnanimous as to have mercy on those subjects.
Last edited by ComradeBurg on Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my Truth About Guns podcast at http://truthaboutguns.com/

Also check out my blog at http://blog.christopherburg.com/
ComradeBurg

Postby bstrawse on Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:39 am

ComradeBurg wrote:

b

Are you implying something citizen?

We of the state government make no mistakes. Although we issued the permit that allowed the person to purchase those handguns it was the Gander Mountain store that sold them. Our consent is irrelevant! We considered bringing charges up against every employee of that store for being accomplices in allowing dangerous weapons to be placed in the hands of a peasant. Be grateful that we are so magnesium as to have mercy on those subjects.

Yes, I'm glad I don't live in New York :)
B
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby hammAR on Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:01 pm

bstrawse wrote:Yes, I'm glad I don't live in New York, California, Massachusetts, Illinois, or Wisconsin....

:|
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby cmj685 on Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:05 pm

And that I am not magnesium.
I do not believe in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.
cmj685

Postby ComradeBurg on Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:07 pm

cmj685 wrote:And that I am not magnesium.

The state makes no mistakes! We said magnanimous! Everybody who says otherwise is working against the good of the people and is an enemy of the state!
Check out my Truth About Guns podcast at http://truthaboutguns.com/

Also check out my blog at http://blog.christopherburg.com/
ComradeBurg

Postby bstrawse on Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:39 pm

hammAR wrote:
bstrawse wrote:Yes, I'm glad I don't live in New York, California, Massachusetts, Illinois, or Wisconsin....

That's not what I said. Please don't edit my quotes (though in this case, I happen to concur with the statement).

I previously lived in Massachusetts. I won't be going back there.
b
bstrawse

Postby photogpat on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:33 pm

My company has tried to move me to both Massachusetts AND California....I said no...and now I start my job with the best employer ever on May 2.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby mrokern on Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:21 pm

hammAR wrote:

New York and Kalifornia, not a snowball's chance in Hades.

Illinois? You have to beg me to even pass through that state, much less live there.

Massachusetts? Any state that finds the Kennedy family fit to elect isn't of interest to me.

And Wisconsin? I grew up there. Never going back. At least they're working on the problem, though.
Back to being just a guy.
No, not that guy. Or that other one either.
mrokern

Postby gyrfalcon on Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:40 pm

photogpat wrote:My company has tried to move me to both Massachusetts AND California....I said no...and now I start my job with the best employer ever on May 2.

Do share / drop names. :D
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby photogpat on Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:19 pm

gyrfalcon wrote:
photogpat wrote:My company has tried to move me to both Massachusetts AND California....I said no...and now I start my job with the best employer ever on May 2.

Do share / drop names. :D

Nope. Lets just say plenty would give for what I got! :twisted:
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Next

Return to In The News