Ill. court allows nonresidents to transport guns

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby DeanC on Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:56 am

Article is poorly worded so I am not sure of the specificities, but it sounds good.

Posted: Apr 07, 2011 7:18 PM CDT

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) - The Illinois Supreme Court says people permitted to carry guns in other states may transport them here without an Illinois license.

The court ruled unanimously Thursday in the case of an Indiana resident who was arrested in May 2005 with a gun in a closed backseat armrest of his car.

Actual ruling- http://www.state.il.us/court/Opinions/S ... 109130.pdf (reading now)
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Re: Ill. court allows nonresidents to transport guns

Postby rugersol on Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:48 am

Interesting ... just had a discussion with a buddy a couple weeks ago about how USPSA National Championships are (and/or have been) in Illinois ... and I wondered about the legality, as someone who resides in another state, of bringing a gun into Illinois, and staying there (for the match, and/or overnight, at least).

Never could figure out why they kept holding 'em there. I believe this year they're in Nevada ... although, IIRC, Single-Stack is still in Illinois, this year.

Don't sound like it's ever been an issue ... ya'd hafta get arrested, for starters ... and the hotels 'n such around there would probly prefer to keep the business.
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby Gustavs01 on Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:11 am

Wow, An old friend of mine got pulled over for going 80 in a 70, and He was moving to Florida, so they made him open the boxes on top just to make sure, Well he had forgot to bury his .22 pistol and he was treated like the worst of the worst criminal, They confiscated said pistol for it being illegal to do so?? He still has yet to go to court for that which was almost 10 yrs ago. Ever since hearing of that I REFUSE to go anywhere near Illinois no matter what. and even reading this I still refuse to go anywhere near Illinois. F@@K that state.
Μολών λαβέ
Gustavs01

Postby PileDriver on Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:05 pm

Gustavs01 wrote:He still has yet to go to court for that which was almost 10 yrs ago.

I've heard of some court cases taking a while, but dayum. Something sounds a little odd there.
PileDriver

Postby bstrawse on Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:06 pm

Gustavs01 wrote:Wow, An old friend of mine got pulled over for going 80 in a 70, and He was moving to Florida, so they made him open the boxes on top just to make sure, Well he had forgot to bury his .22 pistol and he was treated like the worst of the worst criminal, They confiscated said pistol for it being illegal to do so?? He still has yet to go to court for that which was almost 10 yrs ago. Ever since hearing of that I REFUSE to go anywhere near Illinois no matter what. and even reading this I still refuse to go anywhere near Illinois. F@@K that state.

They made him? Did they have a warrant or did he consent to the search?
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby mmarino on Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:49 pm

so i have to go to chicago and i may need to spend the night there, and if i' reading right with this i should be OK to have my gun in my vehicle, right? but not carry
mmarino

Postby Gustavs01 on Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:50 am

PileDriver wrote:
Gustavs01 wrote:He still has yet to go to court for that which was almost 10 yrs ago.

I've heard of some court cases taking a while, but dayum. Something sounds a little odd there.

Well He got his summons, But he said F-It, He has no plans to go anywhere near IlliNazi again so he said they can keep the gun. Now My buddy did a DUI in florida and Nothing was ever said about the pending case in IlliNazi
Μολών λαβέ
Gustavs01

Return to In The News