Minneapolis Curfew in Effect

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Re: Minneapolis Curfew in Effect

Postby bensdad on Mon May 23, 2011 8:32 pm

tman wrote:
bensdad wrote:
you people.

You people?
You People?
YOU PEOPLE?

What?

C'mon Tman! IT's from a movie. I just can't remember which one. Is it Anger Management?
I got nothin'
bensdad

Re: Minneapolis Curfew in Effect

Postby DeanC on Mon May 23, 2011 8:34 pm

ComradeBurg wrote:It's sort of like people who go hiking into the Alaskan wilderness.

I don't know about Alaska, but in Colorado you prepay for your rescue when you buy your permit. Maybe they could set up tollbooths at the entrances to the neighborhoods?
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby JustMe on Mon May 23, 2011 10:04 pm

bensdad:
I'll take a guess: Is it from "Me, Myself, and Irene" by the Farrelly brothers?
I was sure that the wedding day chaffeur retorted with that after Jim Carey's character (incidentally, a state police officer) asked him how much he should tip "you people", after delivering him and his new bride to their abode.
JustMe

Postby tman on Tue May 24, 2011 1:38 am

bensdad wrote:C'mon Tman! IT's from a movie. I just can't remember which one. Is it Anger Management?

Any movie made from 1982-1990, I'm your guy. (Video Store career) I get kind of fuzzy after that.

I've seen Anger Management....once.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby tman on Tue May 24, 2011 1:39 am

bensdad wrote:C'mon Tman! IT's from a movie. I just can't remember which one. Is it Anger Management?

Any movie made from 1982-1990, I'm your guy. (Video Store career) I get kind of fuzzy after that.

I've seen Anger Management....once. ;)
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby Shipyard on Tue May 24, 2011 6:25 am

tman wrote:

I've seen Anger Management....once. ;)

also a good use of it on the Chappelle show - Mad real world sketch.

"i think we need to have a house meetin' yall!"
i do what i can, where i'm needed, and i ask so little in return. i'm a true humanitarian fueled by rainbows and whiskey. you should be so lucky to know me...

Shipyard wrote:no kidding. that guy gets banned from here more than i quit this place :lol:
Shipyard

Postby Heffay on Tue May 24, 2011 7:34 am

I biked through this area this morning. Plymouth Ave N, just before you get to Theo Wirth Parkway. Crikeys! I remember the tornado damage along Portland Ave S 2 years ago, and this looks far worse.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby Nat on Tue May 24, 2011 1:17 pm

I commute via 55. There are swaths of trees gone. Monday morning i saw a pontoon boat that had apparently been lifted over the highway, and was careened over, in a marsh.

This must have hit blocks from my house, seriously, less than 10- I never heard anything.

Joke all you want about the neighborhood, hell, joke all you want about the looting. Push comes to shove, I know you are basically good folk - not the braggart racists you portray yourselves as on the internet.
Secrets are the opposite of Freedoms
Nat

Postby jgalt on Tue May 24, 2011 1:29 pm

Nat wrote:I commute via 55. There are swaths of trees gone. Monday morning i saw a pontoon boat that had apparently been lifted over the highway, and was careened over, in a marsh.

This must have hit blocks from my house, seriously, less than 10- I never heard anything.

Joke all you want about the neighborhood, hell, joke all you want about the looting. Push comes to shove, I know you are basically good folk - not the braggart racists you portray yourselves as on the internet.

Stating a statistical fact - that the neighborhood in question has a higher crime rate than other areas of the Metro - is not racist, even on the Internet...
jgalt

Postby Nat on Tue May 24, 2011 1:42 pm

jgalt wrote:
Nat wrote:I commute via 55. There are swaths of trees gone. Monday morning i saw a pontoon boat that had apparently been lifted over the highway, and was careened over, in a marsh.

Stating a statistical fact - that the neighborhood in question has a higher crime rate than other areas of the Metro - is not racist, even on the Internet...

i look left, I look right... no statistics

could this maybe be opinion in disguise mister galt?
Nat

Postby jgalt on Tue May 24, 2011 1:52 pm

Nat wrote:
jgalt wrote:

i look left, I look right... no statistics

could this maybe be opinion in disguise mister galt?

It's possible I am mistaken - show me I am and I'll thank you for having done so.

Regardless, racism is a charge that can only stick if the the claim being made is both mistaken & based on race. Since I, as a relatively new resident of the Metro area, and not residing anywhere close to the area in question, have no clue regarding the racial make up of said area, there is no way anything I have stated can be racist. I can't speak for anyone else about whom you may be referring...

Again, it is certainly possible that my memory of crime stats is mistaken - if so I'd love to be corrected. I've got no incentive to hold on to or defend incorrect information...
jgalt

Postby Heffay on Tue May 24, 2011 2:00 pm

jgalt wrote:Regardless, racism is a charge that can only stick if the the claim being made is both mistaken & based on race.

That's not true. Statistics can be presented to conduct racists acts. Redlining is a good example.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby jgalt on Tue May 24, 2011 2:12 pm

Heffay wrote:
jgalt wrote:Regardless, racism is a charge that can only stick if the the claim being made is both mistaken & based on race.

That's not true. Statistics can be presented to conduct racists acts. Redlining is a good example.

Redlining is not of necessity racist. The practice was used in many situations to outline (often w/a red pen, hence the name) based on income levels & statistics showing high levels of delinquency based on neighborhoods. These areas may or may not have had higher-than-average minority populations, and those doing the "redlining" legitimately didn't take those stats into account.

Of course, it it easy for people who are racists to replace low income stats with minority population stats, and anyone doing so should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. But just because some of the redlining could be attributed to racism does not mean it all was.

So, the redlining to which you refer was based on minority population stats & the mistaken correlation between a person's race and their likely ability to repay a loan - i.e. was based on race & a mistaken correlation...
jgalt

Postby Heffay on Tue May 24, 2011 2:23 pm

jgalt wrote:Redlining is not of necessity racist. The practice was used in many situations to outline (often w/a red pen, hence the name) based on income levels & statistics showing high levels of delinquency based on neighborhoods. These areas may or may not have had higher-than-average minority populations, and those doing the "redlining" legitimately didn't take those stats into account.

There is no legitimate use of redlining. It disqualifies people who otherwise would be legitimate candidates based solely on who their neighbors are. It uses statistics that have no bearing on ability to pay to deny someone financing.
Heffay

Postby Nat on Tue May 24, 2011 2:27 pm

jgalt wrote:It's possible I am mistaken - show me I am and I'll thank you for having done so.

And it's possible you're correct. The expectation that a poor black part of town experiences more crime or violence or breakdancing or anything, without any evidence to that extent, is behavior that I would describe as 'easily confused with racist'. I'm not trying to judge intentions,just saying what was said carries some racist connotations. Either way, i never made any claims to crime rates anywhere in town - the onus is upon you to prove anything.

jgalt wrote:Regardless, racism is a charge that can only stick if the the claim being made is both mistaken & based on race. Since I, as a relatively new resident of the Metro area, and not residing anywhere close to the area in question, have no clue regarding the racial make up of said area, there is no way anything I have stated can be racist. I can't speak for anyone else about whom you may be referring...

Guess I'm not sure where this is going, but I never accused you of anything. When I stated my feelings about the tenor of this thread, you were the first to reply... but that's a far cry from me saying ANYTHING that you should feel the need to defend yourself from.
Nat

PreviousNext

Return to In The News