Minneapolis Curfew in Effect

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Minneapolis Curfew in Effect

Postby Dave Pendleton on Sun May 22, 2011 6:40 pm

From the MPD facebook page:

Because of the widespread damage and power outages, a curfew will begin at 9 p.m. tonight in parts of north Minneapolis, within these boundaries: Penn Avenue to Interstate 94, from Dowling Avenue to Plymouth Avenue. For their safety, during this time, people in this area must stay in their homes. Minneapolis Police will have extra patrols in the neighborhoods to protect public safety.
Dave Pendleton

Re: Minneapolis Curfew in Effect

Postby bensdad on Sun May 22, 2011 6:44 pm

Do they mean a "curfew" as in for kids? Do they actually mean adults have to are expected to stay in?
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby Dave Pendleton on Sun May 22, 2011 6:46 pm

bensdad wrote:Do they mean a "curfew" as in for kids? Do they actually mean adults have to are expected to stay in?

...people in this area must stay in their homes.

Sounds to me like it means everybody.
Dave Pendleton

Postby bensdad on Sun May 22, 2011 6:47 pm

Where ya wanna meet? We gotta cruise around in defiance. :twisted:
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby Dave Pendleton on Sun May 22, 2011 6:49 pm

bensdad wrote:Where ya wanna meet? We gotta cruise around in defiance. :twisted:

Tangling with MPD is the last thing I want right now.
Dave Pendleton

Postby bstrawse on Sun May 22, 2011 6:50 pm

bensdad wrote:Do they mean a "curfew" as in for kids? Do they actually mean adults have to are expected to stay in?

They mean adults - I believe there is statutory authority for this. We deal with this a lot when we have storm impact in various cities - just went through it with our locations in Alabama...

b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby rtk on Sun May 22, 2011 6:54 pm

I would think that most smart people do not go out of their houses after 9:00 PM in this area already. ;)
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby hammAR on Sun May 22, 2011 6:54 pm

Will they also be going around house to house collecting weapons..................... :P
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby Dave Pendleton on Sun May 22, 2011 6:57 pm

hammAR wrote:Will they also be going around house to house collecting weapons..................... :P

Give it time...
Dave Pendleton

Postby jgalt on Sun May 22, 2011 6:59 pm

bstrawse wrote:

They mean adults - I believe there is statutory authority for this. We deal with this a lot when we have storm impact in various cities - just went through it with our locations in Alabama...

b

I presume this means that those who don't live there need to get out, not that, were I a home owner / renter there, I couldn't be out clearing debris from my own yard or my neighbor's...

At least I hope that's what it means. Something like that would be entirely reasonable. Anything more would not...
jgalt

Postby bensdad on Sun May 22, 2011 7:05 pm

I presume this means that those who don't live there need to get out, not that, were I a home owner / renter there, I couldn't be out clearing debris from my own yard or my neighbor's...

At least I hope that's what it means. Something like that would be entirely reasonable. Anything more would not...

So, how can they tell the difference between me and a local? Do we have to show papers?
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby bstrawse on Sun May 22, 2011 7:10 pm

jgalt wrote:
bstrawse wrote:

b

I'm not sure - haven't researched their process here..
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby bstrawse on Sun May 22, 2011 7:11 pm

bensdad wrote:

So, how can they tell the difference between me and a local? Do we have to show papers?

In Alabama, we had to provide credentials (a letter from us) to our employees, contractors, and drivers so that they could be in transit during the curfew times..

Not sure the situation here..
b
bstrawse

Postby Dave Pendleton on Sun May 22, 2011 7:18 pm

Check out these images from the Strib web site:

From this story.
Last edited by Dave Pendleton on Sun May 22, 2011 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Pendleton

Postby mrokern on Sun May 22, 2011 7:19 pm

My guess would be that the mayor invoked a state of emergency, which puts the emergency response plans into force. Right or wrong, there are statutes in his favor.

I believe the mayor has the power to make that declaration on his own without council approval...
Back to being just a guy.
No, not that guy. Or that other one either.
mrokern

Next

Return to In The News