Norways killing fields

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Norways killing fields

Postby jaydubs on Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:08 pm

Norsesmithy wrote:Hunting rifles are common in Norway, relatively easy to get a gun license. I've heard that his rifle wasn't totally legal though, whether this means he bought it on the grey/black market or that he modified it illegally, who knows?

The current news cycle is saying it was a Ruger Mini-14 and an unnamed glock model. The mini 14 was obtained legally as his "deer hunting" rifle, the glock for sports shooting purposes based on his membership in a pistol club and taking classes there.

I'm not sure how much I trust these articles, though they seem to be based on the obviously deranged man's 1500 page manifesto. The second article listed has quite a few questionable statements, like that the mini-14 is a "mini-automatic" rifle and that he used a "glock 16."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14267007
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/b5a1b3ce-b60b ... z1T2uvPJ00
jaydubs

Postby DeanC on Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:08 pm

There's rumors now that this guy spent 2 months in Lake Elmo last year. Rumors. :roll:
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby Tommy Gun on Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:03 pm

DeanC wrote:There's rumors now that this guy spent 2 months in Lake Elmo last year. Rumors. :roll:

:doh: THAT'S where I've seen him before! I thought he looked familiar.
When you are on the horns of a dilemma, shoot the bull right between the eyes.
Tommy Gun

Postby Pinnacle on Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:24 am

This whole thing is a tragedy. Plain and simple.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby S.A. on Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:38 am

DeanC wrote:There's rumors now that this guy spent 2 months in Lake Elmo last year. Rumors. :roll:

A quick search of Google finds that these "rumors" appear to be an attempted political smear. The only hits that come up are people saying there are "reports" but no actual news stories, just people in the comments sections.
S.A.

Postby DeanC on Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:54 am

Now they are saying the killer used "Dum Dum" bullets which "are lighter in weight and can be fired with greater accuracy over varying distances." :roll:
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby photogpat on Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:00 am

DeanC wrote:Now they are saying the killer used "Dum Dum" bullets which "are lighter in weight and can be fired with greater accuracy over varying distances." :roll:

My wife asked me about this last night - I took a few rounds out of the boxes and explained to her about round engineering -- she then asked why the media gets it wrong all the time... :roll: :lol:
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Heffay on Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:24 am

photogpat wrote:
DeanC wrote:Now they are saying the killer used "Dum Dum" bullets which "are lighter in weight and can be fired with greater accuracy over varying distances." :roll:

My wife asked me about this last night - I took a few rounds out of the boxes and explained to her about round engineering -- she then asked why the media gets it wrong all the time... :roll: :lol:

My wife asked the same thing. I thought of all the possible answers, weighed it against her knowledge of physics and firearms, and her actual level of interest in the answer and said:

"They're magic."
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby DeanC on Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:51 am

Now I'm seeing some sites claiming this guy was a secret radical Muslim and others claiming he was a radical Zionist. It's just wild how people to spin an agenda out of this stuff so quick.

anders-behring-breivik-israel-oslo.jpg
DeanC

Postby nyffman on Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:29 am

Where did you get that information? Are you sure they weren't referring to the reporting?
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby Snowgun on Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:33 am

All the news reports talk of an "automatic" weapon... it wasn't actually full auto was it?
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby DeanC on Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:27 am

nyffman wrote:

Where did you get that information? Are you sure they weren't referring to the reporting?

That would be varying accuracy over great distances.
DeanC

Postby nyffman on Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:40 am

Dum dum reporting with varying/lacking accuracy. This should be against the law. Think of the children
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby photogpat on Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:46 am

nyffman wrote:<snip>Think of the children

Protect Minnesota Member and resident bleater used that exact line on her post to describe Norway's national tragedy.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby nyffman on Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:01 pm

photogpat wrote:
nyffman wrote:<snip>Think of the children

Protect Minnesota Member and resident bleater used that exact line on her post to describe Norway's national tragedy.

I missed that. I guess I don't follow them closely enough. One major difference, though. Mine included an implicit /sarc, somehow, I don't think hers did.
nyffman

PreviousNext

Return to In The News