Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby justaguy on Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:28 am

Last edited by justaguy on Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WWTNSTKBLD
(What Would The Navy SEALs That Killed Bin Laden Do)
justaguy

Re: Gunman Killed 5 at Missouri Council Meeting

Postby GregM on Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:06 pm

As he fired at City Attorney John Hessel, Hessel tried to fight off the attacker by throwing chairs, McNichols said.

Even if you don't have a gun, you can still fight back.
FLEE IF YOU CAN. FIGHT IF YOU MUST.
GregM

Postby David on Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:34 pm

The brother's comments (Gerald) are absurd. If he's actually suggesting that this attack was in any way the next logical step to take in his "war" with the city, then he's clearly got the same genes as his brother. At least the other brother sounded somewhat sane.
David

Postby BRIT_in_the_weeds on Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:24 am

The most troubling comment, for me was this:-

But a judge in St. Louis tossed out the lawsuit Jan. 28, writing that "any restrictions on Thornton's speech were reasonable, viewpoint neutral, and served important governmental interests."

Reasonable restrictions......mmmm where have I heard that before :roll:

Remember the old adage "We're from the government, we're here to help you"
Far better it is to dare mighty things...than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat
T.Roosevelt 1899

Just me and the designated settee, in the weeds.8-)
Thread-F.U master Brit Pei Ying
1/ICC ;-) .1/ICC II.;-)
BRIT_in_the_weeds

Postby GregM on Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:53 am

Thornton was often a contentious presence at the council's meetings; he had twice been convicted of disorderly conduct for disrupting meetings in May 2006.

The weekly Webster-Kirkwood Times quoted Swoboda as saying in June 2006 that Thornton's contentious remarks over the years created "one of the most embarrassing situations that I have experienced in my many years of public service."

The mayor's comments came during a meeting attended by Thornton two weeks after he was forcibly removed from the chambers. Swoboda had said the council considered banning Thornton from future meetings but decided against it.

So he takes his case to a federal court. And what was this all about? Parking tickets.

Cookie Thornton was a ticking bomb.
GregM

Postby Fast351 on Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:14 am

GregM wrote:Cookie Thornton was a ticking bomb.

Yep, and while I'm in no way endorsing what Mr Thornton did, the City Council seemed amused by poking that ticking timebomb with a stick, and surprise, surprise, it blew up in their faces.
Fast351

Postby GregM on Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:34 pm

Fast351 wrote:
GregM wrote:Cookie Thornton was a ticking bomb.

Yep, and while I'm in no way endorsing what Mr Thornton did, the City Council seemed amused by poking that ticking timebomb with a stick, and surprise, surprise, it blew up in their faces.

It's not just the city council. It's the police department (who issued the parking tickets), the city council (who ejected Thornton from their meeting), the district court (who convicted Thornton twice for disrupting earlier city council meetings), and the federal court (who dismissed Thornton's case).

Maybe we should give each of them 25% of the blame.
GregM

Return to In The News