N.O. (That's Lousiana) police show off new crime-fighting e

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

N.O. (That's Lousiana) police show off new crime-fighting e

Postby hammAR on Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:30 am

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2008/02/no_police_show_off_new_crimefi.html

N.O. police show off new crime-fighting equipment
by Walt Philbin, The Times-Picayune

Mayor Ray Nagin and NOPD Superintendent Warren Riley try out a pair of the NOPD's new M-4 rifles Tuesday at the Superdome.

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin and Police Superintendent Warren Riley on Tuesday used the floor of the Superdome to display more than $1 million in new armament and other equipment, largely for use by the SWAT squad in emergency and riot situations, including a fully equipped mobile command post, two armored cars and modern assault rifles.

Nearly all of the equipment was financed from a $6.6 million state allocation to New Orleans police that was earmarked for crime-fighting items or strategies, Riley said.

The city officials said the new equipment reflected a determination by the Police Department to root out and arrest criminals and make New Orleans safer, as well as to help police handle any emergency situation encountered.

The money will also pay for 600 bullet-proof vests.

The 27- and 14-ton armored cars, costing about $380,000 and $270,000 respectively, will provide cover to officers in SWAT situations and help them safely evacuate citizens from dangerous situations, Riley said.

The vehicles, Lenco Bear and BearCat models, will also enable SWAT officers and negotiators to get closer to barricaded suspects.

The city's police have never had a "state-of-the-art" command post for SWAT and other situations, the city officials said. The assistant commander of the SWAT team, Lt. Dwayne Scheurermann, vouched for the equipment and said the two armored cars come with features that "are extraordinarily helpful to us," such as winches to help knock or drag down walls and other barricades.

Nagin used the occasion to welcome the NBA All-Star game to New Orleans, scheduled for Sunday night at the New Orleans Arena. He said the annual clash between West and East All-Stars has "had a little bit of a rough time in other cities, but we are looking forward to it and don't expect any problems."

Riley pointed out that after this weekend members of the NOPD will have worked 12- or 16-hour shifts for 23 days -- nearly half of the first 48 days of the year -- to provide security for public events on a national stage, including college football's BCS championship game and Mardi Gras.

"We had a little break after Mardi Gras, but will go into that mode again Friday," Riley said. He said there will be so many police this weekend in the Central Business District and French Quarter "it will look like Christmas down there."
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Re: N.O. (That's Lousiana) police show off new crime-fighting e

Postby ree on Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:28 am

Another reason Nagin can't be trusted; it looks like a violation of at least rule #2. But then again, I don't know much about his relationship with Riley. Perhaps Nagin doesn't really like him despite the massive smiles on their faces.
ree

Postby TC95GT on Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:57 am

hammAR wrote:http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2008/02/no_police_show_off_new_crimefi.html

N.O. police show off new crime-fighting equipment
by Walt Philbin, The Times-Picayune

Mayor Ray Nagin and NOPD Superintendent Warren Riley try out a pair of the NOPD's new M-4 rifles Tuesday at the Superdome.

The city officials said the new equipment reflected a determination by the Police Department to root out and arrest criminals and make New Orleans safer, as well as to help police handle any emergency situation encountered.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that what they mean by "handling any emergency situation" is taking by force the guns of law abiding citizens who are just trying to protect themselves when the police can't or won't. Morons.
"It is not enough to just obey Big Brother, you must love him, too." 1984 by George Orwell
TC95GT

Postby Keith on Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:53 pm

Hmmm. By this time tomorrow night I will be in New Orleans taking my grandfather to the WW2 museum.
Perhaps I should have packed something a little bigger than a baby Glock?
Yeah, but I shoot with THIS hand.
Keith

Postby Aceq2jot on Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:09 pm

I think it is all part of the Ethnic cleansing Nagen has in plan to turn N.O back into a Chocolate City. So now they have the equipment to do so, after they take all the guns from the law abiding white citizens ;)
Really i am your worst Nightmare, for i walk the night and the cover of darkness belongs to me :D

You cant make a pile of Dog shat smell like a rose a bunch of Roses, so why try ???
Aceq2jot

Postby lenny7 on Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:05 pm

Riley pointed out that after this weekend members of the NOPD will have worked 12- or 16-hour shifts for 23 days

He said there will be so many police this weekend in the Central Business District and French Quarter "it will look like Christmas down there."

Oh that's nice...overworked, sleep-deprived cops get to open up and play with their new toys...it WILL be like Christmas down there!
lenny7

Return to In The News