Detained for Turning In 9mm Round after Clearing Security

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Detained for Turning In 9mm Round after Clearing Security

Postby DeanC on Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:35 am

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/news ... g-security

Yet, when a Rochester man was allowed to bring a live 9mm round through no fewer than two security checkpoints, he was interrogated when he innocently tried to turn it over. Gary Koenig's story is an example of the old adage "no good deed goes unpunished." He says he discovered the 9mm round in his jacket pocket before his return flight from Los Angeles, after he cleared the metal detectors. It had been there for his entire trip, not only clearing the checkpoint in Minneapolis, but also slipping by the screeners at LAX.

Read more: Man Detained for Turning In 9mm Round after Clearing Security http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/news ... z1ZAh5TxE2
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Re: Detained for Turning In 9mm Round after Clearing Security

Postby mnglocker on Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:56 am

Sometimes it's best just to STFU and enjoy the flight.
-Get a rope Tuco.
What happens in the basement stays in the basement.

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
mnglocker

Postby xracer390 on Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:06 pm

Thats strange....was he testing someone ? Why not just throw it in the trash ?
Burnouts, big horsepower, and things that go bang!
xracer390

Postby Heffay on Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:09 pm

xracer390 wrote:Thats strange....was he testing someone ? Why not just throw it in the trash ?

They would have shut the airport down for a few weeks if they found it in the trash.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby photogpat on Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:16 pm

Cripes - I had a situation where a co-worker brought a 12 gauge shotgun shell in the bottom of his backpack all the way to Boston and back without realizing it. The security theater at the airports would be more effective if the screeners knew what the H they were looking for...
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Paul on Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:41 pm

mnglocker wrote:Sometimes it's best just to STFU and enjoy the flight.

+1
Paul

Postby Snowgun on Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:56 pm

Lets just say a certain someone I live with has been carrying a kimber pepper spray gun through the airport for no fewer than 5 flights before I found it in her purse mid flight.

I sure as hell didn't call attention to it... :?
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:12 pm

Snowgun wrote:Lets just say a certain someone I live with has been carrying a kimber pepper spray gun through the airport for no fewer than 5 flights before I found it in her purse mid flight.

I sure as hell didn't call attention to it... :?

So I wonder what part is frowned on more, the fact that it is pepper spray or that it is not in a sealed 1 quart zip lock baggie? "remember 3-1-1" Can't tell you how many 4 oz deoderants I have had confiscated. ;)
Holland&Holland

Postby grousemaster on Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:14 pm

One time I went through security with a jacket in my carry on that I hadn't used in a long time. To my surprise there were a couple of .17 rounds in one of the pockets. they found them.....I got to talk to the cops for a while. They concluded it was indeed an innocent mistake and let me go about my business. They did take note in the TSA system so if it happens again I get a big fine....
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby xracer390 on Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:25 pm

I got cought with the extreemly dangerous nail clipper. I said, I suppose I have to throw it in the "box". Guy leans over a bit and says "put it in your pocket" I did but was later afraid I was being set up.
Burnouts, big horsepower, and things that go bang!
xracer390

Postby David on Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:36 pm

A few weeks ago I flew from Minneapolis to Washington, D.C. with a completely full 16.9 ounce bottle of water in my carry on that I forgot about. The screeners at MSP missed it. I have no idea what something like that looks like on the screen, so I'll withhold qualitative comment.

A buddy of mine went to work for the TSA at MSP a number of year ago, and he worked mostly in the back scanning checked bags. He said that certain latex products made the scanners go nuts. I thought that was pretty funny. "OMG, I think I found a BOMB! Oops, sorry, false alarm. It's just another pocket p..."
David

Return to In The News