Local Mall Ninjas get Segways

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Local Mall Ninjas get Segways

Postby DeanC on Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:48 am

http://wcco.com/local/target.security.s ... 56730.html
Target To Place Security Guards On Segways
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) ― Some security workers at Target stores are getting a new set of wheels.

Over the past several months Target has added about 150 of the two-wheeled scooters at its stores, where they're being used by security workers to patrol parking lots.

Many malls have Segway-riding security guards, but Target is believed to be the first large individual retailer to do so.

Target says on Monday that it first began looking at the Segways in January 2007 and decided to put about one in each of 150 stores last fall.

Tripp Welborne is Target Corp.'s director of operations and asset protection. He says Target will keep expanding its use of mobile devices, whether by using Segways or other machines.

Segway Inc. says about 600 police and security organizations use its product worldwide, but that Target is now one of its largest customers.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Re: Local Mall Ninjas get Segways

Postby Pat on Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:54 am

I wonder how well they work through all the snow, ice and shloosh :whatever:
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Postby cobb on Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:54 am

Pat wrote:I wonder how well they work through all the snow, ice and shloosh :whatever:

Chains. ;)
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby westhope on Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:56 am

wonder how well they work through all the snow, ice and shloosh

Just add tire chains. (Or studs like they use for motorcycle ice racing.)
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby JoeH on Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:17 am

Will they have a scabbard for a Taser?
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby Aceq2jot on Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:58 am

JoeH wrote:Will they have a scabbard for a Taser?

Target policy is totally no hands on and no pusruit. The segway would be used to patrol the parking lots to deter theft from Vehicles. A visible deterent is normally enough in a parking enviroment and enough to scare away the pan handlers who like to frequent the parking lots.
Really i am your worst Nightmare, for i walk the night and the cover of darkness belongs to me :D

You cant make a pile of Dog shat smell like a rose a bunch of Roses, so why try ???
Aceq2jot

Postby 1911fan on Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:49 pm

WHile we have break ins and such in vehicles here, it is nothing like it is in the southern states. I just got back from florida and they have uniformed guards that are everywhere in the parking lots, some on bikes, some on foot, one place had them on mopeds. The guy I asked said they were having a break in an hour even with the guards.
1911fan

Postby BRIT_in_the_weeds on Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:04 pm

It's all fun and games until a couple go across your hood.
Far better it is to dare mighty things...than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat
T.Roosevelt 1899

Just me and the designated settee, in the weeds.8-)
Thread-F.U master Brit Pei Ying
1/ICC ;-) .1/ICC II.;-)
BRIT_in_the_weeds

Postby justaguy on Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:33 pm

What do you mean? A couple security guards? Why would you want to hit them they are trying to help and they would dent your hood.
WWTNSTKBLD
(What Would The Navy SEALs That Killed Bin Laden Do)
justaguy

Postby BRIT_in_the_weeds on Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:58 pm

justaguy wrote:What do you mean? A couple security guards? Why would you want to hit them they are trying to help and they would dent your hood.

Go to "what's your beef" I linked from here to there. clue ......idiots in parking lots
Far better it is to dare mighty things...than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat
T.Roosevelt 1899

1/ICC ;-) .1/ICC II.;-)
BRIT_in_the_weeds

Postby lenny7 on Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:59 pm

I noticed the security at Southdale Mall were using Segways. What killed me is that they were going just about the speed of a brisk walk and they had bike helmets on. I sure felt sorry for them.
lenny7

Postby Aceq2jot on Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:59 am

lenny7 wrote:I noticed the security at Southdale Mall were using Segways. What killed me is that they were going just about the speed of a brisk walk and they had bike helmets on. I sure felt sorry for them.

They have had them at Maplewood Mall for a while. It was funny when they first got them as they were falling off <lol>

But it is all a scam to make people feel safer, as they are totally reactive and are ordered to observe and report and can do nothing more than dial 911 for u. It's all about perception really.
Really i am your worst Nightmare, for i walk the night and the cover of darkness belongs to me :D

You cant make a pile of Dog shat smell like a rose a bunch of Roses, so why try ???
Aceq2jot

Postby BRIT_in_the_weeds on Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:57 pm

Do they have lights and sirens on these bad boys? And that spotlight thing on the side? And antenas?
T.Roosevelt 1899

1/ICC ;-) .1/ICC II.;-)
BRIT_in_the_weeds

Postby Wadero on Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:50 pm

Aceq2jot wrote:But it is all a scam to make people feel safer, as they are totally reactive and are ordered to observe and report and can do nothing more than dial 911 for u. It's all about perception really.

Whoa, sometimes they lock and unlock doors. Don't forget that.
“You were born free, you got f***ed out of half of it, and you wave a flag celebrating it.” -- Doug Stanhope
Wadero

Postby Aceq2jot on Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:08 pm

Wadero wrote:
Aceq2jot wrote:But it is all a scam to make people feel safer, as they are totally reactive and are ordered to observe and report and can do nothing more than dial 911 for u. It's all about perception really.

Whoa, sometimes they lock and unlock doors. Don't forget that.

That is actually rare these days as it is so easy to break windows or screw up the windows. Take for instance that most 2008-2009 cars now have the same glass in the side windows as the windshield. So the slightest bit of presure on the glass will cause it to shatter but it will stay together. So if a thief trys to smash a window they wont actually break it out and so they cant get into the vehicle.

So now to get into a car you need a set of rake Keys :D which is easier than try to use a tool to get in and does'nt get the looks from people that the other ways do ;)

I have a set of rake keys i carry with me all the time ;) But then i also have a set of lock picks i carry also. My Brother is a locksmith and he has taught me a lot getting into house's and cars. I call him a legal Burglar as he gets paid to break into cars and houses :lol: And believe me it is not hard to do.

Aceq2jot

Next

Return to In The News