Armed citizen stops parking lot robbery...

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Armed citizen stops parking lot robbery...

Postby shadeslanding on Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:23 am

"You can yell at somebody, but pointing a gun at his head does a lot better job," Patterson said Wednesday as he recounted what happened the day before.

http://www.cdapress.com/news/local_news ... html?GOCRA
========
Shade's Landing Inc. FirearmsAndLiberty.com ShadesLanding.com
Home of the ORIGINAL Multistate Carry Course for Minnesota offering multi-state carry courses since 09/2003.
Over 9,000 citizens trained to arms since 2003
========
shadeslanding

Re: Armed citizen stops parking lot robbery...

Postby Fshirley on Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:43 am

Score one for the good guys!
Fshirley

Postby Shipyard on Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:58 am

glad the outcome was positive. another win for decency and justice.
i do what i can, where i'm needed, and i ask so little in return. i'm a true humanitarian fueled by rainbows and whiskey. you should be so lucky to know me...

Shipyard wrote:no kidding. that guy gets banned from here more than i quit this place :lol:
Shipyard

Postby ijosef on Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:48 am

"He drew his Kimber 1911 .45 with a six-shot clip"

I didn't know Kimber made 1911s that accepted clips in lieu of 7 magazines. :mrgreen:

Actually, that's a very forgivable error, especially when it comes to journalists. I'm impressed by the fact that the writer didn't question the man's decision to carry a "dangerous firearm."
ijosef

Postby Wiscosotan on Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:14 am

I liked Patterson's clarifications in the comments section on this article:

Howdy folks, Thanks for all the support, an event like this, even when your sure your doing the right thing is still very stressful. I've been trying to get the adrenaline out of my system for 2 days now... To clarify a few things:
1. The press reported exactly what the CDA pd released to them about the incident. When they heard there was more to the story, I was contacted and they asked if they could get the true details.
2. Their reporter was very good at his job, He is a little rusty on his firearms knowledge, but hey thats ok.
My Kimber ultra carry is a 1911 style .45 semi automatic, it holds 6 rounds in its magazine and one in the chamber. A clip is something to hold up hair, or was/is used on some old military style rifles. I carry my weapon cocked and locked with the abiltiy to deliver 7 rounds where needed. It has a 3inch (appx) barrel , crimson trace grips and night sights. I made the decision about 10 years ago to carry all the time, my concern being that good men must be willing and able to protect, family , friends and those around them . You don't chose when something like this is going to happen, they happen when the happen and I'm just glad I was prepared. I have been in situations where I was not prepared to protect the people I love when evil visited, That is the worse feeling in the world and I will never willingly let it happen again. Tim

Wiscosotan

Postby nyffman on Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:21 am

He lives by what he calls the sheep dog, sheep and wolf theory.

Wolves, he said, are the bad people. Sheep are the innocent ones. Sheep dogs are law enforcement and other "good men not willing to stand by and let evil triumph."

Somebody get that guy a sheepdog pin. But, seriously, my hat is off to him. I would not like to live in a country where there are no people like him. :bow: :flag:
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby tazdevil on Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:34 am

Good job, good outcome. I wonder how the Law enforcement in this state would view these actions however (notice how the LE in Idaho there somewhat skirted around his actions, indicating they where happy with his decision, but not quite saying that), but I'd like to think I would've done the same thing (as we all would of course). The more incidents like this and the one a few months ago here, the more these criminals will start thinking the general public may not be a good idea to attack.
1911 Fan quote in memoirium about carrying:
The purpose of a firearm in a defensive situation is to make the other guy leak from holes he was not born with. Your job is to install those orifices for him.
tazdevil

Location: over your shoulder, whispering sweet nothings in your ear.

Postby Rem700 on Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:17 pm

nyffman wrote:
He lives by what he calls the sheep dog, sheep and wolf theory.

Wolves, he said, are the bad people. Sheep are the innocent ones. Sheep dogs are law enforcement and other "good men not willing to stand by and let evil triumph."

Somebody get that guy a sheepdog pin. But, seriously, my hat is off to him. I would not like to live in a country where there are no people like him. :bow: :flag:

Sorry to drift but whatever happened with the sheepdogs pins? Did anyone ever have any made?
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby nyffman on Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:41 pm

tazdevil wrote:Good job, good outcome. I wonder how the Law enforcement in this state would view these actions however (notice how the LE in Idaho there somewhat skirted around his actions, indicating they where happy with his decision, but not quite saying that), but I'd like to think I would've done the same thing (as we all would of course). The more incidents like this and the one a few months ago here, the more these criminals will start thinking the general public may not be a good idea to attack.

It seem that the higher up you go on the food chain of LE, the more likely you are to get the "Don't try this at home, we're trained profesionals" line. As far as the BG's response to people fighting back? This remains to be seen. I'm sure some, upon learning that their chosen career has become more dangerous will decide to take early retirement and probably go back to the path of least resistance. They will get every kind of govt assistance known to man. It's much safer to let the govt steal it from us then give it to them. Others may escalate the violence by preemptively shooting their victims then scavenging over the body. I believe we are already seeing some of that in cases where victims comply but are shot anyway.

Rem700 wrote:Sorry to drift but whatever happened with the sheepdogs pins? Did anyone ever have any made?

Obviously you are not one of the cool guys around here. If you were, you would know that many of these pins are in circulation among our membership. In the interest of full disclosure, I do not own one and therefore am also not one of the cool guys. 8-) Actually, if you really want one, do a search for "sheepdog pin" and I think you can find them. This is primarily due to the popularity of that particular breed of dog. :lol:
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby timwarner on Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:41 pm

Tim
USPSA club MN07
http://ipsc.krok.us
timwarner

Postby nyffman on Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:58 pm

Well, not exactly, but those may be appropriate for some. YMMV :lol:
nyffman

Postby LarryP on Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:43 am

If he did this in Mn. Would he be in possible trouble? What if he shot the guy? Here they always say to call 911if you're not directly involved etc

Are Idaho laws better than ours?
LarryP

Postby Rem700 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:49 pm

LarryP wrote:If he did this in Mn. Would he be in possible trouble? What if he shot the guy? Here they always say to call 911if you're not directly involved etc Suppose to be covered in carry classes, Covered under in defense of self or others.

Are Idaho laws better than ours?

IDK
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Return to In The News