More reasons to limit my getting involved

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

More reasons to limit my getting involved

Postby Chunkychuck on Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:29 pm

Killed Federal Agent Was Getting Dad's Cancer Meds

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/01/01/ph ... z1iGNUxsX9

"It's not clear who shot either man."

"His death is the latest in a string of shootings of off-duty officers in the New York area who were responding to a crime."

Granted it is NY, but if cops have difficulty, what about the "average" permit holder.
Chunkychuck

Re: More reasons to limit my getting involved

Postby xracer390 on Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:56 pm

YOU dont get involved, INVOLVED get you ! (If your not quick enough) (ready)
Burnouts, big horsepower, and things that go bang!
xracer390

Postby Chunkychuck on Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:12 pm

xracer390 wrote:YOU dont get involved, INVOLVED get you ! (If your not quick enough) (ready)

I'm not sure I understand your comment. From the article it appears the officer chose to get involved, not that he was forced to act. My reason for posting is to reaffirm my instructor's teaching on how to stay out of trouble rather than to seek it.
Chunkychuck

Postby farmerj on Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:14 pm

sometimes the best action is to be a good witness.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby timwarner on Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:11 pm

farmerj wrote:sometimes the best action is to be a good witness.

Sometimes the best action is to shoot faster.
Court may suck, but at least the right person goes in the ground.
Tim
USPSA club MN07
http://ipsc.krok.us
timwarner

Postby Chunkychuck on Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:29 pm

timwarner wrote:
farmerj wrote:sometimes the best action is to be a good witness.

Sometimes the best action is to shoot faster.
Court may suck, but at least the right person goes in the ground.

From the article it seems the shooting all comes from the cops who responded from next door. Especially when you see the other cop shooting cop incidents mentioned. Again I would say this shows how your well-intentioned and legal actions could end badly for you. My wife and I have had several discussion about that just because I am carrying she shouldn't expect or ask me to get involved in situations where we are not directly threatened.
Chunkychuck

Postby xracer390 on Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:32 am

Chunkychuck wrote:
xracer390 wrote:YOU dont get involved, INVOLVED get you ! (If your not quick enough) (ready)

I'm not sure I understand your comment. From the article it appears the officer chose to get involved, not that he was forced to act. My reason for posting is to reaffirm my instructor's teaching on how to stay out of trouble rather than to seek it.

What Im saying is if you dont want to get involved, stop carrying that dangerous weapon and stay hidden in your basement. You carry to protect yourself and your loved ones not to become a hero by getting involved. To me it sounds like getting involved to you means running into a crime scene and taking out the bad guy. Its not your job. Now, if the bad guy comes after you, you dont have much of a choice. Be ready
xracer390

Postby carver952 on Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:13 pm

I don't know what the policy is for federal officers. In some juristictions, an officer off-duty has no duty to intervene in a fleeing suspect without a weapon.
carver952

Postby Chunkychuck on Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:17 pm

xracer390 wrote:
Chunkychuck wrote:
xracer390 wrote:YOU dont get involved, INVOLVED get you ! your not quick enough) (ready)

What Im saying is if you dont want to get involved, stop carrying that dangerous weapon and stay hidden in your basement.

I ask for an explanation of your comment and you attack me. I carry in case I become involved (reluctant participate) As I have said previously, the purpose of the post is to show a possible outcome from getting involved (pro-active). There is an update on the story.

"The off-duty federal agent who was shot dead Sunday after confronting a pharmacy robber is believed to have been fatally shot by a responding Nassau County police officer who apparently mistook him as the robber, The New York Post reported, citing an unnamed source."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/01/02/re ... z1iLR8kuns
Chunkychuck

Postby xracer390 on Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:28 pm

Chunkychuck wrote:I ask for an explanation of your comment and you attack me.

:roll:
xracer390

Postby gyrfalcon on Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:59 pm

Chunkychuck wrote:"The off-duty federal agent who was shot dead Sunday after confronting a pharmacy robber is believed to have been fatally shot by a responding Nassau County police officer who apparently mistook him as the robber, The New York Post reported, citing an unnamed source."

Apparently these cops shoot first and ask questions later. "Drop **BANG** the **BANG BANG* weap... oh never mind"
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Return to In The News