George Zimmerman - Florida Unarmed Teen Shooting

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby illbits on Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:06 pm

David wrote:But that happens all the time. How many news stories have you ever had personal knowledge of and knew that what the police or the news were saying was wrong? How many times have you seen police and other officials have to recant information that was inaccurately released? It will be months before everything is known and verified about this, if ever. Until then, everyone participating so forcefully in this discussion (where it relates to facts and the conclusions to be drawn from them) is wasting his time and energy, and is probably just hoping to fit the facts to a personal opinion already held.

Zimmerman could be a murderer. He could be a hero. I have no idea, and neither does anyone else here.

+1K, nuff said.
illbits

Postby Snowgun on Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:15 pm

Witness corroborates Zimmerman being beaten by martin, screaming for help:

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/s ... n-03232012
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Re: George Zimmerman - Florida Unarmed Teen Shooting

Postby Humphrey Bogart on Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:28 pm

Can we safely say we have a Lynch Mob here?
Humphrey Bogart

Postby aaron878 on Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:31 pm

Snowgun wrote:Witness corroborates Zimmerman being beaten by martin, screaming for help:

Witness doesn't say who started the confrontation, only that Zimmerman appeared to be loosing when when he decided to shoot Martin in the chest.
aaron878

Postby aaron878 on Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:32 pm

Humphrey Bogart wrote:Can we safely say we have a Lynch Mob here?

No, please familiarize yourself with "lynch mobs" here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynching
aaron878

Postby CraigJS on Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:05 pm

The confrontation started when Zimmermen was advised not to follow Martin. There are a lot of groups involved in this mess. I doubt we'll ever know the real truth, just the spins put on to suit those telling the story..
Hasn't this thread about out lived its "life"?
CraigJS

Postby BemidjiDweller on Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:48 pm

This whole thing is getting even uglier. http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/201 ... k-panthers
BemidjiDweller

Postby nyffman on Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:46 pm

Oh! That New Black Panther Party?

our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby Heffay on Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:19 pm

aaron878 wrote:
Snowgun wrote:Witness corroborates Zimmerman being beaten by martin, screaming for help:

Witness doesn't say who started the confrontation, only that Zimmerman appeared to be loosing when when he decided to shoot Martin in the chest.

Which is why the stand your ground law is flawed.

I can go up to someone, start a fight, and when I'm getting my ass kicked shoot them. And I can't be charged criminally or civilly.

At least, according to the letter of the law. We'll see if case law will add some limits, much like case law in Minnesota has added the duty to retreat. I'd feel much more comfortable that if the stand your ground law had that explicitly mentioned.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby illbits on Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:15 pm

Heffay wrote:
aaron878 wrote:

Which is why the stand your ground law is flawed.

I can go up to someone, start a fight, and when I'm getting my ass kicked shoot them. And I can't be charged criminally or civilly.

At least, according to the letter of the law. We'll see if case law will add some limits, much like case law in Minnesota has added the duty to retreat. I'd feel much more comfortable that if the stand your ground law had that explicitly mentioned.
You have no idea what you're talking about. The absence of provocation or aggression is one of the cornerstones of a self-defense argument in MN. I don't say this often but GET OFF MY SIDE.
illbits

Postby Humphrey Bogart on Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:17 pm

"If the Glove don't Fit, You Must Acquit"

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Humphrey Bogart

Postby shadeslanding on Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:37 pm

Many are saying that Zimmerman was told not to follow Martin he was never told that and never given a direct order not to. Read this press release from the city manager of Sanford FL. A lot of misinformation here and on the net right now.

http://www.sanfordfl.gov/investigation/ ... ooting.pdf
========
Shade's Landing Inc. FirearmsAndLiberty.com ShadesLanding.com
Home of the ORIGINAL Multistate Carry Course for Minnesota offering multi-state carry courses since 09/2003.
Over 9,000 citizens trained to arms since 2003
========
shadeslanding

Postby Heffay on Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:57 pm

illbits wrote:You have no idea what you're talking about. The absence of provocation or aggression is one of the cornerstones of a self-defense argument in MN. I don't say this often but GET OFF MY SIDE.

So you should be able to defend yourself absent any threat or aggression??

Are you suggesting that you should be able to shoot someone if you "feel" afraid? :o :o :o
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby illbits on Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:10 pm

Heffay wrote:
illbits wrote:You have no idea what you're talking about. The absence of provocation or aggression is one of the cornerstones of a self-defense argument in MN. I don't say this often but GET OFF MY SIDE.

So you should be able to defend yourself absent any threat or aggression??

Are you suggesting that you should be able to shoot someone if you "feel" afraid? :o :o :o

Very funny Heffay. The absence of provocation or aggression on the part of the person claiming self defense is what I meant. In other words the defendant must be an unwilling participant. You can't go kick someone's ass and shoot them when you lose. Where do you come up with this sh!t. I guess you think it's fun to deliberately spread misinformation.
illbits

Postby JeremiahMN on Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:14 pm

illbits wrote:In other words the defendant must be an unwilling participant.

So your in agreement that Zimmerman should be arrested? The 911 call clearly he states he was following this kid. That seems pretty willing to enter the situation.
JeremiahMN

PreviousNext

Return to In The News