George Zimmerman - Florida Unarmed Teen Shooting

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: George Zimmerman - Florida Unarmed Teen Shooting

Postby photogpat on Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:28 pm

The hypocrites don't even hear themselves anymore. Justice for Trayvon - imprison Zimmerman without trial.

I was arguing with a Left Coast supporter tonight who was against S. 2188 and S. 2213 (the National Carry Reciprocity dueling bills in the senate) saying to oppose them since it would be justice for Trayvon. When I pointed out that those bills had nothing at all to do with Stand Your Ground, she told me I was "irrelevant" and a "waste of time".

People don't even know what they're arguing for anymore - they just regurgitate what they're fed by CNN and MSNBC. Sick!
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby jdege on Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:30 pm

photogpat wrote:People don't even know what they're arguing for anymore - they just regurgitate what they're fed by CNN and MSNBC. Sick!

Bigot: One who is obstinately and zealously attached to an opinion that you do not entertain.
Ambrose Bierce
jdege

Postby solidgun on Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:43 pm

I am not sure what the argument is here. I tried to stay out of the discussion but I am really confused after listening to the 911 call.

How is Zimmerman protected? He pursued someone when he was asked not to and the assailant was unarmed. I understand the unarmed part can be irrelevant because the force can be a justifying factor if it can be proven, but I don't understand how he is not guilty after actively chasing the teenager.
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing personal opinion. —PROVERBS 18:2
solidgun

Postby BemidjiDweller on Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:03 am

solidgun wrote:I am not sure what the argument is here. I tried to stay out of the discussion but I am really confused after listening to the 911 call.

How is Zimmerman protected? He pursued someone when he was asked not to and the assailant was unarmed. I understand the unarmed part can be irrelevant because the force can be a justifying factor if it can be proven, but I don't understand how he is not guilty after actively chasing the teenager.

Because according to his account he wasn't chasing the teenager*. He was attacked and knocked down, Mr. Martin was banging Mr. Zimmerman's head against the ground. Mr Zimmerman received a broken nose and lacerations on the back of his head. His back also had grass stains and was wet. Thats what Mr. Zimmerman's account is and what the police report says.

* He was following and asking questions, but not running after the kid.

I read somewhere that Mr. Martin had cuts on his hands from trying to grab the firearm while Mr. Zimmerman was trying to defend himself. Take that with a grain of salt, it did come from the internet. Something else that seems to have surfaced, is that Mr. Martin's facebook, and twitter seem to suggest that he was a drug dealer that picked fights. I'll try and find the place where I read both of those statements, but both were on the internet, and we all know how reliable forgotten sources on the net are. This is not a clear cut case of some little babyfaced kid and some big bad guy. Since no one but Mr. Zimmerman and Mr. Martin were there that night, we will never know what really happend. Also, eye witnesses are not as reliable as people give them credit for. Ask any cop or detective (I'm sure there are some here) and they will tell you the same thing. People don't always remember exactly what they see, and they almost never see an altercation from the very beginning.

Oh and here is the police report in case anyone missed it: http://www.sanfordfl.gov/investigation/ ... Report.pdf
BemidjiDweller

Postby nyffman on Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:25 am

Dick Unger wrote:Well, the facts that support what has happened seem to be interfering with Sharpton's plans for rallys everywhere. Blacks are arrested summarily, so, arrest Zimmerman too. Some days it hard to be a Democrat.... :lol:

Dick, I agree with you. Both Sharpton and Jackson are struggling to remain relevant in a society that has made tremendous strides on the issue of race. Since Jackson can trace his activist roots to MLK and Sharpton can trace his activist roots to Jackson, other than to maintain their stature and ego, they serve no purpose but their own. Their present work bears no resemblance to what King was trying to accomplish.
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby Rem700 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:20 am

solidgun wrote:I am not sure what the argument is here. I tried to stay out of the discussion but I am really confused after listening to the 911 call.

At what point was he asked not to pursue?
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby Pinnacle on Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:21 am

tazdevil wrote:

Wait just a minute, are you trying to imply that the media would hide something from us? Perish the thought!

On another note, has any more been heard about that militia group that was going to travel to Florida to arrest him?

Anything more about the militia group going to arrest Zimmerman? From all reports that I hear, it is more like there has been a bounty placed on Zimmerman by the new black panther party of $1,000,000.00 for his "Capture"

This has now crossed the line to INSANITY.

I have been waiting for more of the facts to come out and some have as best as i know them to be. Zimmerman come to find out is not a white guy as his name would lead one to believe. He is Hispanic (not that there is anything wrong with that at all) he was doing his neighborhood watch thing, saw a suspicious person post several break ins in his gated community.... Challenged someone that obviously didnt belong there, followed to observe and report for the Police - went back to his truck - and apparently as the police report suggests, was ATTACKED, and physically outmatched assaulted and in fear of GBH and/or Death. This was in the POLICE REPORT.

The DA has not charged Zimmerman with any crime, yet. One could assume based upon this undenyable fact, the basic criteria for the use of force was fulfilled at least on some level. This is all that we really know.

I am not a lawyer, I have no skin in this game other than I am in a situation out here where there is a lot of racial tension to begin with, I am vastly outnumbered, ride public transit in a place where self defense is ILLEGAL (you heard me), now I am worried for my safety. That being said, IMHO the DA needs to STEP UP and quash this nonsense, present the facts and disarm this potentially volatile situation.

This is race baiting, and the start of a bad thing and needs to be handled. The president and the justice department needs to STAY OUT OF THIS. They are NOT helping, to the contrary, it is making all of this worse.

The last time that I checked - placing a bounty on a private citizen is highly unacceptable and likely a felonious act of inciting violence and unrest. The Justice Department failed to quash the New Black Panther Party the first time, now they are letting them intimidate everyone on a much larger scale again.

This is not a black/white issue - it is a right and wrong issue with people knee jerking and running with a torch that is not even lit.

Scary world and getting scarier.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

George Zimmerman - Florida Unarmed Teen Shooting

Postby illbits on Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:39 am

Pinnacle wrote:I am not a lawyer, I have no skin in this game other than I am in a situation out here where there is a lot of racial tension to begin with, I am vastly outnumbered, ride public transit in a place where self defense is ILLEGAL (you heard me), now I am worried for my safety. That being said, IMHO the DA needs to STEP UP and quash this nonsense, present the facts and disarm this potentially volatile situation.
Where in MN is self-defense illegal. I've never heard of such a thing. Or are you in another state or country?
illbits

Postby Jackpine Savage on Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:49 am

Pinnacle wrote:Anything more about the militia group going to arrest Zimmerman? From all reports that I hear, it is more like there has been a bounty placed on Zimmerman by the new black panther party of $1,000,000.00 for his "Capture"

"New Black Panther Leader Jailed on Weapons Charge"

http://www.ajc.com/news/new-black-panther-leader-1398575.html
Jackpine Savage

Postby nyffman on Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:35 am

Murders committed by blacks are out of whack with their proportion of the population and are mostly committed against other blacks. Where is the outrage by the media, Black Panthers, Sharpton and Jackson on this?
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby tazdevil on Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:07 am

Pinnacle wrote:
tazdevil wrote:

Wait just a minute, are you trying to imply that the media would hide something from us? Perish the thought!

On another note, has any more been heard about that militia group that was going to travel to Florida to arrest him?

Anything more about the militia group going to arrest Zimmerman? From all reports that I hear, it is more like there has been a bounty placed on Zimmerman by the new black panther party of $1,000,000.00 for his "Capture"

This has now crossed the line to INSANITY.

I have been waiting for more of the facts to come out and some have as best as i know them to be. Zimmerman come to find out is not a white guy as his name would lead one to believe. He is Hispanic (not that there is anything wrong with that at all) he was doing his neighborhood watch thing, saw a suspicious person post several break ins in his gated community.... Challenged someone that obviously didnt belong there, followed to observe and report for the Police - went back to his truck - and apparently as the police report suggests, was ATTACKED, and physically outmatched assaulted and in fear of GBH and/or Death. This was in the POLICE REPORT.

The DA has not charged Zimmerman with any crime, yet. One could assume based upon this undenyable fact, the basic criteria for the use of force was fulfilled at least on some level. This is all that we really know.

I am not a lawyer, I have no skin in this game other than I am in a situation out here where there is a lot of racial tension to begin with, I am vastly outnumbered, ride public transit in a place where self defense is ILLEGAL (you heard me), now I am worried for my safety. That being said, IMHO the DA needs to STEP UP and quash this nonsense, present the facts and disarm this potentially volatile situation.

This is race baiting, and the start of a bad thing and needs to be handled. The president and the justice department needs to STAY OUT OF THIS. They are NOT helping, to the contrary, it is making all of this worse.

The last time that I checked - placing a bounty on a private citizen is highly unacceptable and likely a felonious act of inciting violence and unrest. The Justice Department failed to quash the New Black Panther Party the first time, now they are letting them intimidate everyone on a much larger scale again.

This is not a black/white issue - it is a right and wrong issue with people knee jerking and running with a torch that is not even lit.

Scary world and getting scarier.

Couple of things I just thought of, after reading a brief bit of the police report. It says on the report "White male". Well, there's how Zimmerman gets off regardless of guilt or innocence (and I don't pretend to know enough to declare either). Zimmerman is not a "White male"-hence, technicality issue there.

The Black Panthers threat--I would think the Department of Homeland security would need to consider that a terroristic threat, and deal with it accordingly. Of course, it won't, and that will be "washed under the rug and forgiven" due to the tragic events leading up to the threat. I do say tragic as any time someone is killed-regardless of self defense or not-it is a tragedy. Zimmerman has to live with that choice the rest of his life.
1911 Fan quote in memoirium about carrying:
The purpose of a firearm in a defensive situation is to make the other guy leak from holes he was not born with. Your job is to install those orifices for him.
tazdevil

Location: over your shoulder, whispering sweet nothings in your ear.

Postby JeremiahMN on Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:15 am

It's pretty simple. He was a gun enthusiast with a permit to carry. He can't be at fault because it will make gun owners look bad. We must defend this guy at all cost, even though common sense (if you've heard the 911call) would point to him being the aggressor. Stand up for the 2nd amendment, blame the victim! :roll:
JeremiahMN

Postby plblark on Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:24 am

you're right, Jeremiah, the HELL with innocent until proven guilty, due process, or the facts. Let's place a $1000000 bounty on this guy's head and form a lynch mob like the "New Black Panthers"
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby JeremiahMN on Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:29 am

plblark wrote:you're right, Jeremiah, the HELL with innocent until proven guilty, due process, or the facts. Let's place a $1000000 bounty on this guy's head and form a lynch mob like the "New Black Panthers"

Nope, but lets ignore any other witnesses that don't jive with zimmernam's story, and also the 911 call. I mean after all, the guy has a permit to carry, can't be at fault or would make gun owners look bad.
JeremiahMN

Postby Pinnacle on Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:44 am

illbits wrote:
Pinnacle wrote:I am not a lawyer, I have no skin in this game other than I am in a situation out here where there is a lot of racial tension to begin with, I am vastly outnumbered, ride public transit in a place where self defense is ILLEGAL (you heard me), now I am worried for my safety. That being said, IMHO the DA needs to STEP UP and quash this nonsense, present the facts and disarm this potentially volatile situation.
Where in MN is self-defense illegal. I've never heard of such a thing. Or are you in another state or country?

I Don't live in MN Anymore - unfortunately.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

PreviousNext

Return to In The News