George Zimmerman - Florida Unarmed Teen Shooting

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: George Zimmerman - Florida Unarmed Teen Shooting

Postby Heffay on Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:01 pm

I'm sure this case is very complicated. :?
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby Squib Joe on Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:56 pm

Interesting to see how this could in any way be called self defense.

One thing I wish they would stop doing, however, is showing pictures of a 17-year old that are clearly taken years earlier. This kid was probably a lot bigger than this picture leads us to believe.

"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby photogpat on Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:10 pm

Most definitely should not be armchair quarterbacked. :!:
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby justaguy on Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:21 pm

photogpat wrote:Most definitely should not be armchair quarterbacked. :!:

+1
WWTNSTKBLD
(What Would The Navy SEALs That Killed Bin Laden Do)
justaguy

Postby dleong on Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:55 am

Squib Joe wrote:Interesting to see how this could in any way be called self defense.

From the article:

"A police report indicated that Zimmerman, who was armed with a handgun, was found bleeding from the nose and the back of the head, standing over Martin, who was unresponsive after being shot. According to the report, an officer at the scene overheard Zimmerman saying, "I was yelling for someone to help me but no one would help me."

Unless I am missing something, the article does not explicitly indicate if there was a scuffle between Martin and Zimmerman; his bleeding would seem to indicate there was, in which case the issue of self-defence might be entirely relevant.

It is interesting that the article does explicitly mention the ethnicities of the involved parties; the impression I get is that the reporter is trying to paint the incident as a racially motivated attack by Zimmerman.
dleong

Postby Heffay on Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:49 am

There are other reasons to believe it was racially motivated. For example, the whole incident stemmed from him confronting someone he didn't think belonged there. You know, because he had skittles and an iced tea. Clearly a thug out looking for trouble.

Not to mention the history of the shooter, which was also mentioned in the article:

Further investigation by Crump revealed a past history of violence by Zimmerman, who was arrested in 2005 for resisting arrest and assaulting a police officer.

They are releasing the 911 tapes this week. I'm sure it'll help clear up a lot of questions.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby photogpat on Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:50 am

Heffay wrote:There are other reasons to believe it was racially motivated. For example, the whole incident stemmed from him confronting someone he didn't think belonged there. You know, because he had skittles and an iced tea. Clearly a thug out looking for trouble.

Not to mention the history of the shooter, which was also mentioned in the article:

Further investigation by Crump revealed a past history of violence by Zimmerman, who was arrested in 2005 for resisting arrest and assaulting a police officer.

They are releasing the 911 tapes this week. I'm sure it'll help clear up a lot of questions.

Two charges from 2005 which were later dropped, does not a "history of violence" make. Don't buy into the story without all the facts - which as you pointed out, are forthcoming.
photogpat

Postby Heffay on Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:59 am

:roll:

I'm sure the shooter is a fine representative of us all.

Sad to say, but this is a perfect example of the "blood in the streets" predictions of the anti handgun crowd coming true.
Heffay

Postby photogpat on Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:05 am

Heffay wrote:...

:roll:

I'm sure the shooter is a fine representative of us all.

Sad to say, but this is a perfect example of the "blood in the streets" predictions of the anti handgun crowd coming true.

I can see JoanP quoting you as a representative of the "gun community" already. Thanks for your support! :roll:
photogpat

Postby Heffay on Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:14 am

We need to police our own. We should be yelling about how this guy screwed up on many levels louder than the antis.

It's ok to admit when someone makes a mistake. It doesn't make your cause unjust. And it adds a level of personal commitment that you take your responsibilities seriously.
Heffay

Postby photogpat on Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:15 am

Heffay wrote:We need to police our own. We should be yelling about how this guy screwed up on many levels louder than the antis.

It's ok to admit when someone makes a mistake. It doesn't make your cause unjust. And it adds a level of personal commitment that you take your responsibilities seriously.

Once we have all the facts. Right?
photogpat

Postby Heffay on Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:16 am

photogpat wrote:
Heffay wrote:We need to police our own. We should be yelling about how this guy screwed up on many levels louder than the antis.

Once we have all the facts. Right?

That would help. However, we can still use the information we have available to discuss what was right and wrong in this scenario as presented so far.
Heffay

Postby Squib Joe on Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:19 am

C'mon Heffay. Wasn't this almost exactly what you said the day after the Rainbow Foods shooting last year?

Maybe he was attacked by more than one person, maybe the kid was bashing him in the head with a bottle of iced tea or other weapon.. nobody knows yet.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby Heffay on Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:32 am

Nope. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.
Heffay

Next

Return to In The News