Minneapolis: A case of murder? Or self-defense?

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Minneapolis: A case of murder? Or self-defense?

Postby nyffman on Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:29 am

I think the story could have been reported better, but is this a case where the castle doctrine could have helped clarify things?
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Re: Minneapolis: A case of murder? Or self-defense?

Postby Fast351 on Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:55 am

Not enough info in the story to determine. As usual, only the people there know the truth. Bet that police report with witness statements from the others there was interesting.
Fast351

Postby gunflint on Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:12 am

So far, this one doesn't pass the smell test. We'll see.
The 2nd Amendment is the ONLY amendment in the Bill of Rights that specifies that it shall not be infringed.
gunflint

Postby BRIT_in_the_weeds on Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:12 am

UMMMMMMMMMM, no mention of a carry permit.
Far better it is to dare mighty things...than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat
T.Roosevelt 1899

Just me and the designated settee, in the weeds.8-)
Thread-F.U master Brit Pei Ying
1/ICC ;-) .1/ICC II.;-)
BRIT_in_the_weeds

Postby justaguy on Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:45 am

Or why he left the scene?

The guy has some ******* luck being shot twice for no reason.
WWTNSTKBLD
(What Would The Navy SEALs That Killed Bin Laden Do)
justaguy

Postby ttousi on Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:38 am

justaguy wrote:Or why he left the scene?

The guy has some ******* luck being shot twice for no reason.

Well I believe I read he was gonna take a shower before calling in...............evidence disposal??
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby BRIT_in_the_weeds on Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:04 pm

Those mean evil cops, arresting and charging him.It was self defense. Lets jump all over the prosecutors office for being misguided by the police.

BWANE WOOZ at it's best.
Far better it is to dare mighty things...than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat
T.Roosevelt 1899

Just me and the designated settee, in the weeds.8-)
Thread-F.U master Brit Pei Ying
1/ICC ;-) .1/ICC II.;-)
BRIT_in_the_weeds

Postby chunkstyle on Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:11 pm

I posted on "some other forum":

I'm pretty sure if he were a permit holder, it would have come out almost immediately. So, I doubt he will dodge the weapons charge. (Gross mis?)

However, there were 4 attackers. He just shot the most aggressive one. He didn't fire any follow-up shots, either, indicating his intent was to stop an attack, not commit one.

1) Likely he was in fear of GBH. Was his fear reasonable?

2) Would lesser force have worked? Simply brandishing the gun might have worked, and indeed, that might have been tried. After all, it was a .44 Magnum. That big ol' muzzle can be powerfully intimidating.

3) From the account, he did try to retreat.

4) From the account, he was an unwilling participant.

Apparently, the shooter has no serious record. I'd like to see the tox results on the deceased.

Sure sounds like a "drunken frat boys decide to kick the ass of a townie, and get a surprise" story, but there's usually twists.
"In his library at Simi Valley, dead Reagan waits dreaming"
chunkstyle

Postby justaguy on Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:45 pm

Good luck to the guy.
WWTNSTKBLD
justaguy

Postby cobb on Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:03 pm

A court document said Lessley was 6 feet away from Claar when he fired two shots.

Interesting, no weapon and he shot him at 6 feet.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby justaguy on Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:11 pm

And the fact that he left the scene of a crime isn't.
WWTNSTKBLD
justaguy

Postby Aceq2jot on Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:12 pm

justaguy wrote:Good luck to the guy.

First off he was leaving a scene of an accident, as he claims which is not a good thing to do in any matter. There was no mention of road rage etc or anything to cause him to walk away in the first place. I would like to know the justifiable reason to why he would not swap information like a regular law abidding citizen??? There was no reason for him to leave the scene of the accident.

feared for his life, relatives say.
I am glad his family are speaking for him, not him.

Lessley's family claims racial epithets were shouted and punches thrown.

Well lets see, any time i have had to move on a person of colour the first thing they claim is racial discrimination or harassment. I have had many years of dealing with people of colour and they always call the race card as it is a built in defence mechanism :o

As Lessley stumbled to the ground, he pulled out a .44 caliber Smith and Wesson handgun and fatally shot Claar in the chest

He was not walking right and fell down on his own accord :o No one layed a finger, on him he fell on his own :o

So basically what i hear from the permit holders is that if your scared and walk back and trip, it is fine to shoot some one and claim self defense :o

My god we should all practice this paranoia and shoot anyone who looks at us wrong as we are in fear of our lifes :o We really need to practice this and teach this when teaching classes, as it is ok if a female feels scared to shoot some one, and they should be innocent to be scared

"He carried a gun because he was afraid to go out unprotected," she said.

A court document said Lessley was 6 feet away from Claar when he fired two shots.

And we must tell people it is not a crime to walk away from an accident as the law is wrong :o
Really i am your worst Nightmare, for i walk the night and the cover of darkness belongs to me :D

You cant make a pile of Dog shat smell like a rose a bunch of Roses, so why try ???
Aceq2jot

Postby GregM on Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:48 am

Very disorganized and patchy report. Lots of hearsay and very few facts.

Plenty of witnesses, though. This should make an interesting court case.
FLEE IF YOU CAN. FIGHT IF YOU MUST.
GregM

Postby CueBall on Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:48 am

first of all, i would like to say i feel sorry for everyone that was involved families, for they are the true losers in the unfortunate incident. that being said i think it is safe to say that there is just not enough information at this time to make any type of informed opinion on this. i imagine there probably wont be until it goes to trial due to the severity of the of the charges and the hotbed topic that is "self defense".

My take on this issue is that it will hopefully give more of an idea of WHEN it is lawful to use deadly force and what constitutes the ability to retreat.

Having or not having a permit to me is really not relevant as is leaving the scene as they will be addressed in seperate charges i am sure, especially if they cant make the murder charge stick.

Again, while i am a ccw holder and will protect myself and my family to the best of my ability i understand those that are left behind end up having to pick up the pieces of someones foolish actions, and that goes both ways.
CueBall

Postby Aceq2jot on Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:49 pm

GregM wrote:Very disorganized and patchy report. Lots of hearsay and very few facts.

Plenty of witnesses, though. This should make an interesting court case.

And as it was downtown i am sure there is plenty of video footage of the event. Especially the ones that belong to the city over in the warehouse district.
Really i am your worst Nightmare, for i walk the night and the cover of darkness belongs to me :D

You cant make a pile of Dog shat smell like a rose a bunch of Roses, so why try ???
Aceq2jot

Return to In The News