Police gunning to equal criminals' firepower with assault ri

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Police gunning to equal criminals' firepower with assault ri

Postby BRIT_in_the_weeds on Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:45 pm

You beat me to it.

Rabid anti gunner Major General Bling, wants them for HIS folks, but they're not for US............'kin hypocritical gun grabbing wazzock. :evil:
Far better it is to dare mighty things...than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat
T.Roosevelt 1899

Just me and the designated settee, in the weeds.8-)
Thread-F.U master Brit Pei Ying
1/ICC ;-) .1/ICC II.;-)
BRIT_in_the_weeds

Postby Tutmos on Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:09 pm

Upgrade from 12g to assault rifles for increased firepower? Heh I'm trying to find a Tromix Saiga 12g because I want to upgrade firepower from an assault rifle. I guess they're right about the police being one step behind, they're looking at the wrong shotguns.
Tutmos

Postby Fast351 on Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:50 am

Another thing I forgot about is all the cool rounds Federal is coming out with lately. Low recoil, flight control buckshot has an 8" pattern at 35 yards! That's a huge improvement over generic buckshot and beats even vang comp barrels pretty handily. They are also developing (I have a box of prerelease stuff, but I think it's out now) an epoxy enveloped buckshot round. The shot stays together until it hits the target, then the epoxy breaks apart and works as 9 separate projectiles.

I would not feel undergunned with a 12 gauge in any "normal" police situation. That's not to say the AR15 isn't a good platform, but I think 12 gauge is far more effective.
Fast351

Postby Pinnacle on Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:46 am

There are few things in this world that warm the heart like the sound of an 870 in your hands when something goes bump in the night.

The 223 is an awesome little caliber when youuse the proper ammunition and you have a gun that works all the time - the 870 is final with just about anything that you run through it. Heck even low base field loads are plenty for average use.

I think that the point is that the AR is lighter and carries more ammunition than a 12ga which is fine and an AR is a bit mroe precise a weapon at distance. The learning curve on a shotgun can be long and punishing and I think that is the reason that PD's are going to them.

12ga shells are spendy - specialty ammunition forthem is spendy too and it makes 223 even at todays pricing look like a bargain. But undergunned with a 12ga? Never.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Previous

Return to In The News