IS THIS STORY TRUE! COULD WE HAVE A AMMO SHORTAGE?

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

IS THIS STORY TRUE! COULD WE HAVE A AMMO SHORTAGE?

Postby stainlessagent on Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:00 am

stainlessagent

Re: IS THIS STORY TRUE! COULD WE HAVE A AMMO SHORTAGE?

Postby LarryFlew on Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:27 am

Showed me 2 things: One they need some bullseye training and two I'm glad I shoot 9 and 45. Whichever brand got that kind of contract may indeed be in short supply.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby yuppiejr on Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:59 am

... demand is high, it's an election year.... history and short term indications are prices have started to trend up (wholesale prices are up which is starting to trickle into retail pricing as old stock is exhausted). We don't seem to have the same spike in commodities prices that was the double whammy last time around but that's not to say things could not change with fuel prices continuing to trend upward and other global economic uncertainty. I am not advocating a "zombie apocalypse" style hoarding approach but I found it prudent last time around to figure out what my consumption rate was for guns I practice or hunt with and purchased more ammo than usual to protect against what looks like a significant upswing in pricing that could last a year or more.

I think at lot of the added demand and stories of dwindling supply is partially a marketing construct playing on people's fear.... but perception is reality and this will impact the price of ammo until at least early next year at least.
yuppiejr

Postby White Horseradish on Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:02 am

IT'S IN ALL CAPS! OF COURSE IT'S TRUE!!!!!!1111111
"I have come to kick a** and chew bubblegum." <racks shotgun> "And I'm all out of bubblegum."

--John Nada, "They Live"
White Horseradish

Postby dsm2nr on Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:40 am

Not sure if it's true or not. If it is, that is a giant mountain of ammo to be contracted for a single year.

But, I have seen 5.56 of both surplus varieties still on shelves. All ammo has received a small increase in price since before the start of the new year. I would guess it's due to fuel costs.
dsm2nr

Postby nyffman on Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:56 am

I'm going to call BS on this.

For instance…I paid $149.00 for federal surplus 440 rounds of steel core and now at the gun show today it was selling for $440.00 for 420 rounds. I have checked and ALLOT of places online are out of the Military surplus ammo by federal [including] M193 and M855 SS109 ammo. I did find one place still carrying both these ammo’s and good prices still, but they’re the only place I could find.

I picked up some 5.56 from AmmoMan last week. It was $149 per can of 420 rd on strippers. The price they list now is $189. I think they have plenty available at this price. Maybe someone at the gun show was hoping enough people weren't paying attention.
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby solidgun on Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:08 am

Sounds like BS. Whenever you see old ammo being sold for less, those are being rotated out of government use. Why would they buy surplus?
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing personal opinion. —PROVERBS 18:2
solidgun

Postby EJSG19 on Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:07 pm

it'll happen again, because for every anti gun bed wetter, there is a guy hoarding ammo if not two.

so gun guys will go nuts again, ammo companies won't give a crap because fear sells, and it'll die down again in two years like it did last time except just like last time, things will stay more expensive than they ever were before.
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Postby Pat on Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:37 pm

EJSG19 wrote:it'll happen again, because for every anti gun bed wetter, there is a guy hoarding ammo if not two.

so gun guys will go nuts again, ammo companies won't give a crap because fear sells, and it'll die down again in two years like it did last time except just like last time, things will stay more expensive than they ever were before.

Two years! Holy crap, but that is exactly what we witnessed after the last presidential election.
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Return to In The News