Outspoken imams to speak at St. Cloud State

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby justaguy on Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:08 pm

http://www.startribune.com/local/17160056.html

Last update: March 31, 2008 - 12:54 PM

Two Muslim clerics with outspoken backgrounds are among the speakers at St. Cloud State University's Islam Awareness Week, which starts today.

One of them is Siraj Wahhaj, who will speak on "What is Jihad?" at 2 p.m. Thursday in the Atwood Memorial Center Theatre.

Wahhaj, an American-born imam of a mosque in Brooklyn, N.Y., is on the executive committee of the Muslim Alliance in North America, a network of organizations addressing needs in American Muslim communities.

In 1991, speaking to an Islamic association of Texas, Wahhaj called Operation Desert Storm "one of the most diabolical plots ever in the annals of history," and that the war to oust Iraq from Kuwait was "part of a larger plan, to destroy the greatest challenge to the Western world, and that's Islam."

Wahhaj, while praised for combating drugs in New York and being the first Muslim to offer a prayer to open a session of Congress, has also appeared on a government list of unindicted co-conspirators in the 1993 World Trade Center bombings.

Another American-born Islamic cleric appearing at St. Cloud is Khalid Yasin. He will speak on "Islam: A Way of Life" at 7:15 p.m. Wednesday at the Atwood Memorial Center Ballroom.

Yasin is known for promoting Sharia law, which is the use of Islamic teachings to govern civil life. His critics have contended that he teaches that, among other things, husbands can beat disobedient wives and that gays should be executed.

Islam Awareness Week is being sponsored by the school's Muslim Student Association. For more on the conference, visit http://www.startribune.com/a4204.

--PAUL WALSH
WWTNSTKBLD
(What Would The Navy SEALs That Killed Bin Laden Do)
justaguy

Re: Outspoken imams to speak at St. Cloud State

Postby Pinnacle on Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:11 pm

If it were not snowing - I would be there with my seeing eye pig and ceremonial vodka.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby Wadero on Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:39 pm

Pinnacle wrote:If it were not snowing - I would be there with my seeing eye pig and ceremonial vodka.

And probably some cartoons.
“You were born free, you got f***ed out of half of it, and you wave a flag celebrating it.” -- Doug Stanhope
Wadero

Postby JohninMinnesota on Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:49 pm

pondering... the Voice of Christianity to speak at the University of Tehran... Jewish leaders to hold rally at the University of Tehran...
anger burns and fills with hatred - wreaks havoc on the soul - what goes out comes back three fold - end it now
JohninMinnesota

Postby rtk on Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:53 pm

Hmmm, SCSU=MNSCU=Taxpayers dollars=Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

rtk
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby BRIT_in_the_weeds on Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:51 pm

I wonder if they have those special dog washing sinks installed?

<------------PORK EATING CRUSADER.
Far better it is to dare mighty things...than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat
T.Roosevelt 1899

Just me and the designated settee, in the weeds.8-)
Thread-F.U master Brit Pei Ying
1/ICC ;-) .1/ICC II.;-)
BRIT_in_the_weeds

Postby Intellect on Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:49 pm

I wonder what the turnout will be like.....

Honestly, what they are thinking could result from this?
Intellect

Postby gman1868 on Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:11 pm

I wonder if the St Cloud Nazis will show up?

Elwood: Illinois Nazis.
Jake: I hate Illinois Nazis.

Living the Armed Lifestyle
gman1868

Postby nyffman on Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:34 am

" and that the war to oust Iraq from Kuwait was "part of a larger plan, to destroy the greatest challenge to the Western world, and that's Islam."

And your point is???????????? :evil:
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby Pinnacle on Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:05 am

nyffman wrote:
" and that the war to oust Iraq from Kuwait was "part of a larger plan, to destroy the greatest challenge to the Western world, and that's Islam."

Islam is fine if it is taken in its moderate form - extremists of any sort are BAD
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby GregM on Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:12 am

These guys sound like the perfect keynote speakers for "Islam Awareness Week."
FLEE IF YOU CAN. FIGHT IF YOU MUST.
GregM

Postby mattxd on Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:58 pm

Pinnacle wrote:
nyffman wrote:

Islam is fine if it is taken in its moderate form - extremists of any sort are BAD

so not to exclude anyone I propose we change Islam to religion. the fundamentalist Christians have been pushing their brand of sharia law around these parts for a while.

Both of these groups seem to be really irritated that the rest of the world just can't see the light, why don't we let them have it out and bring back the crusades it could pull better ratings then American Idol.
"Everyone wants to live at the expense of the state. They forget that the state lives at the expense of everyone." -- Frederic Bastiat (1801-1850) Source: The Law, by Frederic Bastiat, 1850
Go ahead report me to Barry!!
mattxd

Postby JohninMinnesota on Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:23 pm

mattxd wrote:so not to exclude anyone I propose we change Islam to religion. the fundamentalist Christians have been pushing their brand of sharia law around these parts for a while.

Both of these groups seem to be really irritated that the rest of the world just can't see the light, why don't we let them have it out and bring back the crusades it could pull better ratings then American Idol.

Yes, let's make it half-time at an Afghanistan Soccer Sunday Spectacular, then behead them all! ;-)
anger burns and fills with hatred - wreaks havoc on the soul - what goes out comes back three fold - end it now
JohninMinnesota

Postby chunkstyle on Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:31 pm

Let's git us some pork rinds, and sit in on this!
"In his library at Simi Valley, dead Reagan waits dreaming"
chunkstyle

Postby hammAR on Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:39 pm

mattxd wrote:so not to exclude anyone I propose we change Islam to religion. the fundamentalist Christians have been pushing their brand of sharia law around these parts for a while.

I know that you really meant American Gladiator rather than Idol..................anyhow, where do I sign up, It's the Crusades for me, I want to stone women, rape children, learn to cut off heads, crucify non-believers and innocents, burn down and bomb religious centers, and teach my kids to blow themselves up, why should they have all the fun, I'm tired of handing out bibles and helping people anyhow............... :roll:
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Next

Return to In The News