Bush bypass 30 laws

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Bush bypass 30 laws

Postby justaguy on Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:17 am

There is a poll and comments on this one.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/17187861.html

Feds: Administration will use waivers of regulations to build more of border fence
By EILEEN SULLIVAN , Associated Press

Last update: April 1, 2008 - 11:10 AM

WASHINGTON - The Bush administration plans to use its authority to bypass more than 30 laws and regulations in an effort to finish building 670 miles of fence along the southwest U.S. border by the end of this year, federal officials said Tuesday.

Invoking the legal waivers — which Congress authorized — would cut through bureaucratic red tape and sidestep environmental laws that currently stand in the way of the Homeland Security Department building 267 miles of fencing in California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas, according to officials familiar with the plan. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because the waivers had not yet been announced.

The move would be the biggest use of legal waivers since the administration started building the fence. Previously, the department has used its waiver authority for two portions of fence in Arizona and one portion in San Diego.

As of March 17, there were 309 miles of fencing in place, leaving 361 to be completed by the end of the year. Of those, 267 miles are being held up by federal, state and local laws and regulations.

The waivers would address the construction of a 22-mile levee barrier in Hidalgo County, Texas; 30 miles of fencing and technology deployment on environmentally sensitive ground in San Diego, Tucson and the Rio Grande; and 215 miles in California, Arizona and Texas that face other legal impediments due to administrative processes. For instance, building in some areas requires assessments and studies that — if conducted — could not be completed in time to finish the fence by the end of the year.

Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff had said using the waivers would be a last resort. The department has held more than 100 meetings with lawmakers, environmental groups and residents in an effort to work out obstacles and objections to fence construction. The department will conduct environmental assessments when necessary, one of the officials said. But the waivers allow the department to start building before completing the assessments.

The department was expected to announce the plans later Tuesday.

Residents and property owners along the U.S.-Mexico border have complained about the construction of fencing. In South Texas, where opposition has been widespread, land owners refused to give the government access to property along the fence route.

The government has since sued more than 50 property owners to gain access to the land.

Environmentalists have also complained about the fence because they say it puts already endangered species such as two types of wild cats — the ocelot and the jaguarundi — in even more danger of extinction. They say the fence would prevent them from swimming across the water to mate.

Chertoff has said the fence is good for the environment because immigrants degrade the land with trash and human waste when they sneak illegally into the country.
WWTNSTKBLD
(What Would The Navy SEALs That Killed Bin Laden Do)
justaguy

Re: Bush bypass 30 laws

Postby Aceq2jot on Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:52 pm

About bloody time. Some one has to do some thing about the parasites that are a drain. Illegal workers = no taxes, unpaid medical bills and the list goes on plus the fact the first thing they did in America was to break the law :o
Really i am your worst Nightmare, for i walk the night and the cover of darkness belongs to me :D

You cant make a pile of Dog shat smell like a rose a bunch of Roses, so why try ???
Aceq2jot

Postby rucker on Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:16 pm

Aceq2jot wrote:About bloody time. Some one has to do some thing about the parasites that are a drain. Illegal workers = no taxes, unpaid medical bills and the list goes on plus the fact the first thing they did in America was to break the law :o

:roll: hurray for stealing land from citizens to build an ineffective fence!
rucker

Postby BRIT_in_the_weeds on Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:19 pm

Residents and property owners along the U.S.-Mexico border have complained about the construction of fencing. In South Texas, where opposition has been widespread, land owners refused to give the government access to property along the fence route.

The government has since sued more than 50 property owners to gain access to the land

Those of you that own homes and have the physical title, you know that thing that should be in the safe off site. Look to see who the very first entry is "on Title"
Far better it is to dare mighty things...than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat
T.Roosevelt 1899

Just me and the designated settee, in the weeds.8-)
Thread-F.U master Brit Pei Ying
1/ICC ;-) .1/ICC II.;-)
BRIT_in_the_weeds

Postby Aceq2jot on Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:49 pm

rucker wrote:
Aceq2jot wrote:About bloody time. Some one has to do some thing about the parasites that are a drain. Illegal workers = no taxes, unpaid medical bills and the list goes on plus the fact the first thing they did in America was to break the law :o

:roll: hurray for stealing land from citizens to build an ineffective fence!

The people who are losing land should be compensated well for any loss they will incur. But who is going to do the finger pointing the next time there is a terrorist attack and they figure they came across the border???
Really i am your worst Nightmare, for i walk the night and the cover of darkness belongs to me :D

You cant make a pile of Dog shat smell like a rose a bunch of Roses, so why try ???
Aceq2jot

Postby Fast351 on Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:51 pm

How many miles is the entire Mexican border? Isn't it like 2200 miles or something like that?
Fast351

Postby rucker on Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:20 pm

Fast351 wrote:How many miles is the entire Mexican border? Isn't it like 2200 miles or something like that?

1,950 miles but thanks to the Secure Fence Act at least 650 miles will be really secure. :roll:
rucker

Postby Aceq2jot on Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:17 pm

rucker wrote:
Fast351 wrote:How many miles is the entire Mexican border? Isn't it like 2200 miles or something like that?

1,950 miles but thanks to the Secure Fence Act at least 650 miles will be really secure. :roll:

Then we should put out some land mines and tell the border agents to shoot on sight for the rest of it or put up them remote control gattling guns. I persoanlly fancy the land mines, as a lot of drugs cross the border. So if we had a few bodies out there with limbs etc blown off it may deter the others. And lets not forget all the terrorists who can cross the borders :o

Just take for example the Taste of India in Maplewood and Woodbury. 95% of the employees of these resturants are illegal immigrants who moved to Canada got a citizenship ( commonwealth thing ) then cross the border in the boundry waters and get picked up and transported to the cities where they work in the resturants. They then purchase fake driving license's and live in the houses owned by the owners and drive in a couple of cars they provide for the whole house. They then like many other immigrants ship their money out of the country which does our economy no good, and when they get sick they go and get treatment with one of thier fake Id's so the bills never get paid letting the rest of us footing their bills :o

And as for the rest of them they can come into the country like a legal person does just like Brit did Legally :o

Just look at California where the Whole education system has gone to hell as well as the medical system and lord Knows a American kid should need speach therapy and he gets denied as he speaks English :o

And lord help you if you are a hard working guy in silicon valley who gets laid off from his job of director of Networking I.t. and goes to get unemployment and gets told you can have apittance and no medical assistance, but you can have cobra coverage for $1500 a month for your family of 3. Now Juan walks in with his wife and six kids in tow and gets food stamps a place to live and full coverage medical free :shock: Now i would definately think there is something wrong with that :shock:

But thats the way it goes and it is only getting worse with all these illegal immigrants shipping money out of the country and draining out welfare system.

Soon there will be no money in the kitty and then what happens??

I Bet the wall will get knocked down as they all run back to Mexico.

Aceq2jot

Postby rucker on Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:38 pm

Aceq2jot wrote:
rucker wrote:

<lots of stuff>

I don't even know if we are arguing or agreeing or what but my point is this: Terrorism and illegal immigration are two totally separate issues neither of which is "fixed" by building a fence along a portion of one border.

As long is there is a significant benefit of doing so there will be illegal immigration. A fence doesn't fix the root cause of the issue. If Cubans can make it 90 miles on an inflatable raft I am sure Mexicans can find a way over a fence. It might slightly stem the flow but it's a whole lot of money that does nothing to actually fix the problem.

Terrorism is basically the same thing. How is a fence along a portion of one border going to stop potential terrorists? We can seal the Mexican border completely. Ok, now we have to seal the Canadian border. Uh oh, what if they just pull up in a boat along the cost of North Carolina? :shock:
rucker

Postby hammAR on Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:52 pm

rucker wrote:............. it's a whole lot of money that does nothing to actually fix the problem.

...sorry lost track, which of the several hundred .gov programs were you talking about................

was it the BATF and gun control...... : :D

as Master Yak Ha Mar delivers a sweep from the crouching crane........ ;)
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby ttousi on Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:10 pm

hammAR wrote:
rucker wrote:............. it's a whole lot of money that does nothing to actually fix the problem.

...sorry lost track, which of the several hundred .gov programs were you talking about................

was it the BATF and gun control...... : :D

as Master Yak Ha Mar delivers a sweep from the crouching rabbit........ ;)

fixed it for you............oh venerable one who is older than I
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby rucker on Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:19 pm

hammAR wrote:

This one: http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/9366 ... 000vu8.jpg
rucker

Postby Aceq2jot on Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:23 pm

rucker wrote:I don't even know if we are arguing or agreeing or what but my point is this: Terrorism and illegal immigration are two totally separate issues neither of which is "fixed" by building a fence along a portion of one border.

As long is there is a significant benefit of doing so there will be illegal immigration. A fence doesn't fix the root cause of the issue. If Cubans can make it 90 miles on an inflatable raft I am sure Mexicans can find a way over a fence. It might slightly stem the flow but it's a whole lot of money that does nothing to actually fix the problem.

Terrorism is basically the same thing. How is a fence along a portion of one border going to stop potential terrorists? We can seal the Mexican border completely. Ok, now we have to seal the Canadian border. Uh oh, what if they just pull up in a boat along the cost of North Carolina? :shock:

I was agreeing with you and pointing out that until we seal the borders up tight we are going to hell in a hand basket.

If they want in by sea they are easier to track and find as there is a lot more surviellance on the sea than there is on the land Borders.

But if illegals can get in there is no way to stop terrorists as they will just come in the same way. I dont think a bunch of fanatical islamist's are going to walk up to the door of the home land security and knock on the door and introduce themselves, or do the same at a port by sea or air. Its like them attacking the M.O.A it will never happen as they like to be covert and save the Cel. Just look at the Paddies and the main land bombing campaigns. They were clever as not to get caught and compromise the cel, and many times failed to get caught. Apart from the head of sinn fienn Jerry Adams who is a convicted terrorist who is thank God not allowed into America.

If they can smuggle Thousands of people a year and lord know how much drugs across the Border and not get caught, it would be a lot easier for a terrorist to come across and not get caught :o

And if you look at Canada many cities there have a lot of Pakistani and Indian immigrants living in them. Because of the common wealth people from the U.K can immigrate there aswell as other countries in the common wealth pretty easily.

Now if we all remember the London bombings not to long back and look at all the clerics they went after, and of course one of many followers "The Shoe Bomber" what is to stop them from moving to canada, intergrating with the other people from thier ethnic background and then slipping in to the U.S ??????
If the employees of the taste of India can do it what is to stop them??

What do we just all sit on our duffers and be complacent that they bombed us once and cause we are destroying thier country they wont try again? Or our top Notch intelligence who are still looking for WMD's will catch them??

And just look how much Pot we would get off the streets if we closed the canadian border :o No more B.C Bud to smoke. And if we sealed of Mexico aswell we could take out all the drugs that come across that are causing the drug wars down there, and keep the illegals out. Then we could ship all the cubans home as Fidel is going to kick the bucket. And do the same with the rest of the people on Boats.

Australia has the best immigration policey in the world. They dont take boat people, and to Emmigrate you have to have X amount of money so you can support yourself for a while so your not a drain on the countrys economic system. I am actually looking at moving there cause i like the weather the beaches and Bundi Rum.

Aceq2jot

Postby hammAR on Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:48 pm

ttousi wrote:
hammAR wrote:as Master Yak Ha Mar delivers a sweep from the crouching rabbit........ ;)

fixed it for you............oh venerable one who is older than I

Well, I can accept that...........

just remember it is still more effective than your frontal crotch blow from the surrender monkey while eating cheese position......... :rotf:
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby Fast351 on Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:56 am

rucker wrote:I don't even know if we are arguing or agreeing or what but my point is this: Terrorism and illegal immigration are two totally separate issues neither of which is "fixed" by building a fence along a portion of one border.

I disagree. When they put up a 20 mile fence in San Diego, the violent crime rate dropped by 50%. Granted it isn't perfect, but a fence is a partial solution. I agree that a determined terrorist will not be slowed down.

Source: http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=57917

"When we built that border fence the crime rate in the city of San Diego dropped by 50 percent. I think the crime rate will drop in every state of the union upon completion of the border fence," he said.
Fast351

Next

Return to In The News