MD: Senior Citizen Holds Burglar At Gunpoint

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

MD: Senior Citizen Holds Burglar At Gunpoint

Postby hammAR on Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:55 pm

http://wjz.com/seenon/tom.walker.burglary.2.689796.html

Senior Citizen Holds Burglar At Gunpoint

PASADENA, Md. (WJZ) ―A senior citizen in Pasadena caught a burglar in his home and held him at gunpoint until police arrived. Tom Walker told Suzanne Collins he just didn't want the young man to get away with it.

Erick Bjorntwedt, 22, headed to the courthouse on four counts of burglary and destruction of property. Police say he went on a crime spree in Pasadena until he was stopped by a 74-year-old homeowner dressed in long johns.

"He came in, I put the pistol up toward his head. I said, `Get down on the floor.' I said, `No, get down with your face on the floor,'" Tom Walker said.

Walker said he left out the expletives he used when confronting the burglar in his home at 4 a.m.

It started with a planter base used to smash a side window. Security bars prevented entry. Then the rear sliding door was smashed. Walker ran into the burglar in the garage, going through his wife's car.

"I'm no hero. I'm just trying to protect my house and my wife. At our age, we don't want to be bothered with people stealing stuff like that," he said.

The suspect ran into the house where Pat Walker faced him in the kitchen. She also stood up against the suspect. He tried to get out of her kitchen door, so she put her foot up to prevent him from getting out until her husband came back with the gun.

Police say it worked out this time, but confronting a burglar isn't the best idea because they could be armed.

"If you're able to flee the residence, we would rather you flee instead of taking on the suspect as this individual did," said Sgt. John Gilmer.

Walker says he's happy the suspect didn't realize the gun was really his grandchildren's air pistol.

At least three other neighbors were also victims and a fourth man had tools and a checkbook stolen from his car.
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Re: MD: Senior Citizen Holds Burglar At Gunpoint

Postby justaguy on Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:32 pm

hammAR wrote:Police say it worked out this time, but confronting a burglar isn't the best idea because they could be armed.

"If you're able to flee the residence, we would rather you flee instead of taking on the suspect as this individual did," said Sgt. John Gilmer.

Yep run from your own home. Dont make a stand ever.
WWTNSTKBLD
(What Would The Navy SEALs That Killed Bin Laden Do)
justaguy

Postby JohninMinnesota on Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:39 pm

hammAR wrote:Walker says he's happy the suspect didn't realize the gun was really his grandchildren's air pistol.

I thought air pistols were banned! :evil: He could have been hurt, or could have put an eye out or something.
anger burns and fills with hatred - wreaks havoc on the soul - what goes out comes back three fold - end it now
JohninMinnesota

Postby TC95GT on Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:08 pm

Obama is a tool.

I apologize to the tools out there.
"It is not enough to just obey Big Brother, you must love him, too." 1984 by George Orwell
TC95GT

Postby justaguy on Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:13 pm

TC95GT wrote:Obama is a tool.

I agree. But I bet you think your're in the thread about Obama insulting permit holders.
WWTNSTKBLD
(What Would The Navy SEALs That Killed Bin Laden Do)
justaguy

Postby Stradawhovious on Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:29 pm

justaguy wrote:
TC95GT wrote:Obama is a tool.

I agree. But I bet you think your're in the thread about Obama insulting permit holders.

I think this is a reasonable, and in my opinion, welcome quote no matter what thread it it posted in.

Apologies all around for the thread drift, now back to our regularly scheduled programming...................
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby GregM on Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:29 am

Police say it worked out this time, but confronting a burglar isn't the best idea because they could be armed.

Thanks a lot, Sgt. Gilmer. I'm sure any burglar would agree with you.

ANWAY --- Job well done, Mr. & Mrs. Walker.
FLEE IF YOU CAN. FIGHT IF YOU MUST.
GregM

Return to In The News