Mpls police beat permit holder

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby Grayskies on Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:52 am

Grayskies

Re: Mpls police beat permit holder

Postby Heffay on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:08 am

Just another isolated incident.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby Stradawhovious on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:26 am

Seems to me there might be a wee bit more to this story that I would like to hear before jumping on the "police brutality" bandwagon. The video they showed of the incident is really quite useless. It is clearly filmed after the incident, and shows no foul play at all....... assuming with the video shown the news station didn't edit out any obvious abuse..... and we all know, if they had it, it would have made national news by now.

Leaving a nightclub, on Father's day, 4 years after his own dog mauls his 7 year old son to death....... I know an awful lot of people that would be deep in a depression, and not thinking clearly under these cricumstances. Not saying Mr. King was in this state mind you.... just sayin' that if he was, the story might be a little different than is being told.

Who knows? Maybe his story is perfectly accurate, and the police just picked him out at random.

Or maybe not. With a man his size, it would have to be a pretty darned big handgun to be noticed, in his waistband, with a cover shirt, in passing, at night.

Just sayin'

Also, to say the man has "No criminal record. Zero." as his attourney says, is a flat out lie. 2 minutes of my time found this.

All Known Names and Aliases King, Zachary Zane
All Reported Dates of Birth03/04/1977

Convictions and SentencingConviction Number: 001
Case Number: 06185982
Court File Number: CR06049639
Disposition Date: 08/09/2006
Controlling Agency: Minneapolis Police Department
Court Agency: Hennepin County District Court
Assigned Custodial Agency: Hennepin County Workhouse - Adult Corrections
Assigned Probation Agency:
Count Number: 001
General Offense:
Statute Description: Traffic-Drivers License-Driving After Suspension
Statute Number: 171.24.1
Disposition: Convicted
Pronounced Fine: $50
Stayed Fine: $50
Court Cost Amount: $0
Restitution Amount: $0
Assessment Amount: $0
Pronounced Sentence: 10 Days
Probation Sentence:
Conditional Confinement:
Conviction Level: Misdemeanor

Not the most damning crime, but like I said, unless there is another Zachary Zane King in Hennepin county, this guy's age that this record belongs to, it's a flat out lie from his attourney.

I'm going to pull a Dean C on this one, and wait to see how it pans out before I choose which side to support. Terrible reporting, with shaky evidence at best.
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:08 am

See here is proof that open carry is the best policy!

Wait, am I in the right thread here? Can't seem to find my keys...
Holland&Holland

Postby CraigJS on Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:15 am

Ya, those "Traffic-Drivers License-Driving After Suspension" will get you EVERY time.. Anyone keep stats on this kind of stuff. You know, hits, runs, errors, at bats, slugging percentages, law suits won/lost etc. You know team standings, St.Paul vs Minneapolis, in the news, Spike Lee, Al Sharpton, community leader interviews ? Actual crimes commited or just GOON activity..
CraigJS

Postby Stradawhovious on Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:05 am

CraigJS wrote:Ya, those "Traffic-Drivers License-Driving After Suspension" will get you EVERY time.. Anyone keep stats on this kind of stuff. You know, hits, runs, errors, at bats, slugging percentages, law suits won/lost etc. You know team standings, St.Paul vs Minneapolis, in the news, Spike Lee, Al Sharpton, community leader interviews ? Actual crimes commited or just GOON activity..

Like i said, not a very damning criminal record, but one none the less. The lawyer was very emphatic in his "Zero criminal record" statement, but its obvious he is not truthful in that. Driving after revocation may not be that big of a deal, but its a crime none the less.

I know, right? A lawyer lying? Say it aint so.

Couple that with his video evidence of four cops standing around doing absolutely nothing and i think there is more than meets the eye on this.

Sorry I'm not willing to throw the cops under the bus with this evidence of a lying lawyer, word of a guy trying to sue the police dept and a video that shows nothing, but it's just not enough for me. Show me something more concrete, get witnesses that arent friends and relatives, show me video of the cops tuning up on this guy for no reason at all, and I will change my tune.
Stradawhovious

Postby rugersol on Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:19 am

friggin cops!
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby ijosef on Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:02 am

There will be a settlement for sure on this one. I remember reading an article a number of years ago, pointing out the amount of money the Minneapolis PD paid out in settlements for 2005. It was shocking. :shock:

To be fair, most municipal governments (and the state gov't of course) usually grab their ankles when faced with lawsuits, especially when accused of offending the oh-so-precious-and-innocent protected classes. I work with a few who've played the legal lottery and won. However, I think this dude (although he seems like scumbag judging from the info and what I remember from the news when his chained-in-the-basement pitbull killed his kid) has a very legit complaint.
ijosef

Postby T.P.F.K.A.M on Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:48 am

hmmm, why suspended his driving license in first place was, hmmm????? Image
T.P.F.K.A.M

Postby fishdude on Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:12 pm

You guys are reading too much into this. The fact he got a driving after suspension 8 years ago, and had a dog that killed his boy 4 years ago (remember, he was acquitted of manslaughter charges) are irrelevant to this case. I don't know the guy. I don't know if he's a menace or just had some really bad luck, and I don't need to. I do know he's not someone who just disregards the law, as he took the time and money to get his permit and do everything legit. It's been said many times on this site "criminals don't get carry permits."

The article points out the police arrested him for filming them back in April, but he was never charged. So the police already have it out for him. Beyond that, he's "carrying while black". We all know the mpls police opinion on citizens carrying weapons and on guns in general. Add all that up and it's not hard to believe this at all. I hope he gets a nice settlement.
fishdude

Postby mzdadoc on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:31 pm

I'd say he has a case.... Just my 2 cents though. I've debated that if ever pulled over should I tell the officer for his safety and mine that I'm carrying or just keep it concealed. Someone mentioned carrying without concealing and I do it all the time on my bike. My shirt blows up in the wind and shows my 92. MN isn't a conceal state so I wear it like I want and what's comfortable for me.
mzdadoc

Postby Stradawhovious on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:57 pm

fishdude wrote:The article points out the police arrested him for filming them back in April, but he was never charged. So the police already have it out for him.

Or he already has it out for the police.......

Just sayin'.
Stradawhovious

Postby jweiss on Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:38 pm

Stradawhovious wrote:
CraigJS wrote:Ya, those "Traffic-Drivers License-Driving After Suspension" will get you EVERY time.. Anyone keep stats on this kind of stuff. You know, hits, runs, errors, at bats, slugging percentages, law suits won/lost etc. You know team standings, St.Paul vs Minneapolis, in the news, Spike Lee, Al Sharpton, community leader interviews ? Actual crimes commited or just GOON activity..

Like i said, not a very damning criminal record, but one none the less. The lawyer was very emphatic in his "Zero criminal record" statement, but its obvious he is not truthful in that. Driving after revocation may not be that big of a deal, but its a crime none the less.

I know, right? A lawyer lying? Say it aint so.

Couple that with his video evidence of four cops standing around doing absolutely nothing and i think there is more than meets the eye on this.

Sorry I'm not willing to throw the cops under the bus with this evidence of a lying lawyer, word of a guy trying to sue the police dept and a video that shows nothing, but it's just not enough for me. Show me something more concrete, get witnesses that arent friends and relatives, show me video of the cops tuning up on this guy for no reason at all, and I will change my tune.

Not quite a CRIME, Traffic violation yes Crime NO.
Just because your paranoid doesn't mean their not out to get you. Henry Kissinger A wise man once said to me strive to own one of every type and caliber.
jweiss

Postby mnmike59 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:32 am

certainly not criminal.

Lets see what happens, I'd like to hear both sides.
"Just remember boys, this is America. Just because you get more votes it doesn't mean you win."
Fox Mulder.
mnmike59

Postby CraigJS on Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:51 am

Any new news on this? Kind of fell off the screen didn't it?
CraigJS

Return to In The News