Amazing how those firearms just go off...

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Amazing how those firearms just go off...

Postby ktech on Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:07 pm

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/poli ... n-16737471

tl;dr wrote:the woman "embraced the officer from behind, causing the holstered weapon to accidently discharge." The bullet punctured Miller's lung and hit her heart, and she died at a hospital.

Any bets on how this guy was carrying his gun? I can't honestly think of any way that a properly holstered firearm would discharge from a hug... even one from behind.
Can you?

A tragic incident for all involved, but really makes me wonder how exactly that gun was being carried.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle
ktech

Re: Amazing how those firearms just go off...

Postby jdege on Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:31 pm

ktech wrote:Any bets on how this guy was carrying his gun? I can't honestly think of any way that a properly holstered firearm would discharge from a hug... even one from behind.

I'm wondering if it wasn't one of those t-shirts with the built-in holsters.

I could see how the fabric could get caught in the trigger.
jdege

Postby Sorcerer on Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:36 pm

Best bet a shoulder holster were the gun points back. Some of the rigs I have looked at in the stores were not for any specific firearm. Only size of firearm. Eather a shirt or some thing got jammed into the trigger guard on holstering. OR the holster did not cover or fully the trigger guard. Bad day for a lot of people.
Sorcerer

Postby Lunchbox on Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:33 am

Sorcerer wrote:Best bet a shoulder holster were the gun points back. Some of the rigs I have looked at in the stores were not for any specific firearm. Only size of firearm. Eather a shirt or some thing got jammed into the trigger guard on holstering. OR the holster did not cover or fully the trigger guard. Bad day for a lot of people.

Would explain how it managed to hit her in the chest. Given the facts it's 2:30am until I read that comment I was having a huge WTF!?! moment and scratching my head trying to wrap my charcoal briquette sized brain around a shot like that from a waist holster.
"Time is the best teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all of its students" - Robin Williams
"You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington." - Ash Williams
Lunchbox

Postby yang on Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:07 am

Holstered weapon discharging? Its just hard to believe because majority of them have the trigger covered. Still sad though.
yang

Postby GunClasses.Net on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:51 am

The Detroit Free Press reported it was a .40 S&W autoloader issued by the department, carried in an IWB holster. Reports are now that that she was face to face with him.

The only way she would have been struck in the chest would be if she was kneeling in front of him. According to the Detroit paper, there was a comment to her mother that she was 'flirting' with the off duty officer. And, her mother says the stories keep changing about what really was going on.

Guess we'll have to wait for the full/real story.
See us for gun training and resources at http://gunclasses.net and http://mnconcealedcarry.com

We also recommend Krav Maga, by IKMF-certified instructors: http://www.kravmagampls.com
GunClasses.Net

Postby Thunder71 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:02 pm

We know for sure that 2 people know what happened, one is dead...

Another report says he was dancing with his wife when she came up and hugged him from behind.

There's some weird hugging going on here.
Thunder71

Postby ktech on Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:27 pm

GunClasses.Net wrote:...her mother says the stories keep changing about what really was going on.
Guess we'll have to wait for the full/real story.

Is that a surprise to any of us though? Good 'ol media not getting the full story, or people not sharing the full story up front... either way not surprising.
Still feel for everybody involved, but this sounds like it's more complicated than it was originally thought.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle
ktech

Postby Thunder71 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:28 pm

1. Party at the officer's home.
2. Officer said he didn't know the girl.
3. Officer said he was dancing with his wife at the time.
4. Girl came up from behind and hugged the officer.
5. Gun was IWB, covered by a shirt.
6. Girl shot in chest.

It's simply not possible for all of this to be true at the time the gun went off unless the holstered gun did a 180 (clip-less holster for example), and the gun started coming out, leaving the trigger exposed.
Thunder71

Postby cobb on Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:37 pm

The only way I can see it happening is a hug from behind and the holster was some kind of a cheap horizontal carry shoulder holster. I know what the press is reporting and assume that they are wrong as they usually are when it come to correct details.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby CraigJS on Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:57 pm

Simple, carried at 3 oclock, 20 degree FBI cant, 3' tall woman..
CraigJS

Postby Thunder71 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:49 pm

The part that throws this whole story off and is hard to explain is that the gun wasn't a GLOCK.
Thunder71

Postby The Lance on Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:25 pm

Thunder71 wrote:The part that throws this whole story off and is hard to explain is that the gun wasn't a GLOCK.

It is because Glock Pistols simply don't fire until someone pulls the trigger
I'm not down with the republican party, or the democratic party. I represent the MI6
The Lance

Postby Steve_G on Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:46 pm

My wife came up with an idea...

What if the girl was "blowing" a hug on her knees??

I love my wife's mind! :oops:
________
Steve_G
Steve_G

Postby BemidjiDweller on Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:11 pm

Maybe it was one of them DA/SA handguns that doesn't have that nifty little firing pin block. You know, kind of like how if you pull the hammer 3/4 of the way back on a Radom P-64 and let it go, the hammer will still have enough force to discharge the pistol. Could be the same type of scenario.
BemidjiDweller

Next

Return to In The News