Light Rail Crime - Lake Street Station

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Light Rail Crime - Lake Street Station

Postby photogpat on Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:14 am

Not really news, anyone who's ever ridden the Light Rail knows this is a bad spot.

http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 09566.html

Gotta love this comment though -- Gregc02, you a member here?

lightrail_crime_instructor.jpg
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Re: Light Rail Crime - Lake Street Station

Postby Grayskies on Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:28 am

I can barely read the post, but I do not think they can ban carry on a bus or light rail unless (possibly) the bus/train crosses fed property or a boarder.

I will admit I am a tad weak when it comes to laws on carry on various forms of public transportation. :(
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby weck on Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:29 am

Grayskies wrote:I can barely read the post, but I do not think they can ban carry on a bus or light rail unless (possibly) the bus/train crosses fed property or a boarder.

I will admit I am a tad weak when it comes to laws on carry on various forms of public transportation. :(

if you click the picture it goes to full size...
weck

Postby Grayskies on Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:31 am

TYVM :D

Why are they even surprised that light rail attracts criminals, lots of people going to and from the airport and moa, most of which will not be armed and probably will have money and/or purchases...
Last edited by Grayskies on Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby photogpat on Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:33 am

Click it and it hits full size...no other way around it.

I posted it because of the last sentence of the comment -- : "Who was your instructor?"

:D
photogpat

Postby Stradawhovious on Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:34 am

photogpat wrote:I posted it because of the last sentence of the comment -- : "Who was your instructor?"

:D

Yeah, I got a good chuckle out of that. :lol:
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby LarryP on Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:09 pm

At least they're going to play classical music to calm people down and reduce crime :roll:
LarryP

Postby Humphrey Bogart on Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:38 pm

The Lake St Station is literally a stones throw from the Cub Foods Paking lot where 'Good Samaritan' shot mugger Darrin Evanovich while the thug was pistol whipping a 65 year old mexican cleaning woman.

Every four days there's a 'serious incident' at that station.

I've gone to carrying 2 guns when biking in that area.

off to my National night out block meeting tonight.
Humphrey Bogart

Postby Heffay on Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:52 pm

LarryP wrote:At least they're going to play classical music to calm people down and reduce crime :roll:

I've heard of several places that do it. I'm assuming there is some data that suggest it actually works. Of course, it could be one of those things that people do just because they've heard someone else do it and said it makes sense, even though there is no actual effect.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby Greg on Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:12 pm

photogpat wrote:Not really news, anyone who's ever ridden the Light Rail knows this is a bad spot.

Yup, that would be me!

Chances are the original poster I was replying to doesn't have a permit.
Diesel Boats and tube radios forever!
Greg

Postby Pezhead on Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:15 pm

Greg wrote:
photogpat wrote:Not really news, anyone who's ever ridden the Light Rail knows this is a bad spot.

Yup, that would be me!

Chances are the original poster I was replying to doesn't have a permit.

Thought it might be someone on this board.
Pezhead

Postby photogpat on Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:29 pm

Greg - all I thought when I read that was that you had to be a member/lurker here.

FTW with the Carry Community vernacular!
photogpat

Postby CarryCauseICan on Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:01 pm

"Roby described the scene as two men and a woman beat a man "outside the doors of the train station. He laid there lifeless ... the woman tried to bust a bottle over his head."

What would you do if you came across this? Call 911 I'm sure, then what? Watch the man die? What are your thoughts? I don't live in the cities, but have family there and am there more than a few times a year.
Molon Labe!
HEY! Once this girl said, "It's not You, It's Me". I said, "Dang Right It's You! You Heffer!" Si
CarryCauseICan

Postby Humphrey Bogart on Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:22 pm

CarryCauseICan wrote:"Roby described the scene as two men and a woman beat a man "outside the doors of the train station. He laid there lifeless ... the woman tried to bust a bottle over his head."

What would you do if you came across this? Call 911 I'm sure, then what? Watch the man die? What are your thoughts? I don't live in the cities, but have family there and am there more than a few times a year.

Joel Rosenberg rubbed some people the wrong way in his personal life but he had a sharp outlook on situations like that.

In 'Defense of Others' he painted the image of a bus full of kids and Nuns wearing habits...faced with a gang of just-escaped-from-prison thugs about to rape them all (or something like that) and remarked that even in a clear cut situation like that...your life would still be hell for a year or two if you intervened.

As I mentioned above that train station is about 100 yards from the spot where a 'Good Samaritan' shot to death a worthless worm beating a 65 year old cleaning lady.

the 'Good Samaritan' in that case never had his identity released and I'm very suprised...I am guessing he was former military or police and the responding officers extended him the utmost ....leinency / professional courtesy...in construing his actions and very clearly passed that along to the Prosecutor, Mike Freeman.

If the 'Average' permit holder did something with "Average" skill, I think most prosecutors would find SOMETHING to charge a 'Good Samaritan' with...you shot one too many times, you didn't retreat enough...bla, bla, bla.

Would I intervene? Depends how close I was...If I was around the corner and out of view, I'd call 911. If I were close....in the same open area...I'd aim my green laser at the chest of one of the thugs and tell them to back the fxxx up. and start chanting in an APE-SHIIT fashion: 'SHOOT TO STOP! SHOOT TO STOP! SHOOT TO STOP!'

I'd hope my verbal commands and the presentation of a large firearm and an APE-SHIIT demeanor would run them off.

If there were more than 3 thugs...I'd think twice. These boys are not brave men, they're lazy weasels.
Humphrey Bogart

Postby engnerdan on Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:31 am

Humphrey Bogart wrote:the 'Good Samaritan' in that case never had his identity released and I'm very suprised...I am guessing he was former military or police and the responding officers extended him the utmost ....leinency / professional courtesy...in construing his actions and very clearly passed that along to the Prosecutor, Mike Freeman.

If that is the one from a few months back where the perp was shot a ways from the crime, I was told the "Good Samaritan" was actually a reporter of some sort. In which case it would have been a "back scratch in trade for one in the future" in keeping it quiet.
Seismic Sam wrote:When it launches, the marketing will hit you in the face like the shrapnal from a methane explosion in a 3 holer outhouse!! :P :P :P
engnerdan

Next

Return to In The News