Multiple people shot outside Empire State Building

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Multiple people shot outside Empire State Building

Postby ex-LT on Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:20 am

Several people shot outside Empire State Building
By Andrew Mach, NBC News

Police say at least four people but as many as 10 individuals were shot outside the Empire State Building Friday morning and the gunman is dead, NYPD officials said.

The condition of the victims is unknown at this time. It wasn't immediately clear if the gunman's wound was self-inflicted or if the suspect was shot by police.

The FDNY told NBC News they responded to a call about the shooting at Fifth Avenue and 34th Street at 9:07 a.m. Friday and arrived at 9:13 a.m.

At this point, the motive and weapon are unknown.

WNBC reported that the shooter appeared to be a disgruntled employee of a business in the Empire State Building, which houses 1,000 businesses. More than 21,000 employees working the building each day, making the Empire State Building the second-largest single office complex in the U.S., after the Pentagon.

Read more

Given that private firearm ownership is practically illegal in NYC, I have to wonder how Heather and Joan plan on spinning this one.
Last edited by ex-LT on Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Re: Multiple people shot outside Empire State Building

Postby Dill on Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:23 am

didn't this person know that guns are not allowed in NYC????
Dill

Postby rugersol on Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:24 am

I wonder if booberg will have anything to say 'bout this?! :roll:
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby DanM on Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:54 am

rugersol wrote:I wonder if booberg will have anything to say 'bout this?! :roll:

Not 'if' or even 'what' is in question about what Heather or Bloomberg will say about this. It will be the same old, same old. "We need more laws, blah, blah, blah......" They don't get it and don't want to get it because that wouldn't fit their agenda. :x

I will be interested in hearing what the 'man on the street' thinks. Not how the MSM spins this, either. ;)

Will obammy appear on TV and make a big deal? I doubt it, he has campaigning to do and doesn't seem willing to take on gun control issues. Plus it's a full news cycle with lots of other news items. :roll:
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.”
Thomas Jefferson
DanM

Postby bulletproof on Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:33 am

They'll blame it on the availability of guns outside of New York City of course. Everyone knows you can't buy a handgun in New York City with cash. :roll:
bulletproof

Postby tizzo on Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:41 am

Two police officers are being treated at a nearby hospital, though all injuries are not considered life threatening, said Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

Some of the victims may have been hit by shots fired by police officers, Bloomberg said.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/24/justice/n ... ?hpt=hp_t1

This isn't good either.
Kyle
---------
Tam Recording
tizzo

Postby Spike on Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:50 am

Police who killed the gunman may have hit several of the eight people wounded, Mayor Michael Bloomberg says. All those wounded are expected to recover.

Rule #4?
Spike

Postby bulletproof on Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:00 pm

Spike wrote:
Police who killed the gunman may have hit several of the eight people wounded, Mayor Michael Bloomberg says. All those wounded are expected to recover.

Rule #4?

The article says the officers only fired 14 rounds. When it comes to police officers confronting an armed suspect that's a fairly small number. I'm doubting too many people were actually injured by the police officers. The armed suspect probably killed or wounded most of the people around him and sent everyone else fleeing before the police could even respond.

Do you think we will ever see the video of this incident? Since it was in downtown, there had to be a number of CCTV cameras recording it.
bulletproof

Postby redaudi on Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:31 pm

well this clearly shows that bloomberg had an oversight, clearly if police weren't allowed to have deadly high capacity assault magazines that are only designed to kill as many people as possible, then there would have been zero collateral damage.

get on it, bloomturd!

-pleez exkyooz speling/grammer errers when I poast frum my fone
redaudi

Postby Pezhead on Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:36 pm

redaudi wrote:well this clearly shows that bloomberg had an oversight, clearly if police weren't allowed to have deadly high capacity assault magazines that are only designed to kill as many people as possible, then there would have been zero collateral damage.

get on it, bloomturd!

-pleez exkyooz speling/grammer errers when I poast frum my fone

Have to love autocorrect.
Pezhead

Postby tman on Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:43 pm

http://www.officer.com/news/10767567/gunman-dead-nine-shot-in-nyc-gun-battle?utm_source=Officer.com+Newsday+E-Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=CPS120824003

After fatally shooting his 41-year-old victim in the head, he walked down 33rd Street with the gun concealed and was confronted by a pair of construction workers who gave chase, said Kelly.

At that point, cops on anti-terror patrol drew their weapons on Johnson and he opened fire.

“The guy has his gun out and is trying to shoot police officers,” Bloomberg said.

The cops unleashed a torrent of shots, cutting down the suspect and possibly hitting some of the nine innocent bystanders who were caught in the mayhem.

MP5's? M4's?

Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby plblark on Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:09 pm

Witnesses report that it's possible that ALL of the bystanders injured were shot by The gunman NYPD firing indiscriminately.

Update at 11:22 a.m. ET: New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg says the suspect had been fired from his job at the address about a year ago.
He says some of the people injured in the melee may have been accidentally shot by police officers firing at the gunman.

Update at 11:52 am. ET: Mayor Michael Bloomberg, speaking to reporters, says surveillance video of the scene shows that the suspect pulled a weapon from his bag and "tried to fire" at the officers, but that it was unclear whether he was able to get off a round.

IIRC, there was a 2005 study showing the NYPD hit rate was 8% when suspects were shooting back. One article cites a 2008 report where it was 34% accuracy ... Yikes!
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby Lunchbox on Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:00 pm

plblark wrote:Witnesses report that it's possible that ALL of the bystanders injured were shot by The gunman NYPD firing indiscriminately.

The little news blurb I heard on the radio a little while ago was saying the same thing. They only attributed the first person to the shooter.
"Time is the best teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all of its students" - Robin Williams
"You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington." - Ash Williams
Lunchbox

Postby rugersol on Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:45 pm

friggin' cops!
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby photogpat on Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:54 pm

Joan & crew (CSGV, Heather, Brady, etc) are calling for ban on gun shows, high cap mags, carry permits...all things that had nothing to do with this incident.

I think most Americans will look at this and say, "nutjob"...and fail to blame the gun...that's what drives the Brady's crazy.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Next

Return to In The News