Stabbing @ Minnesota State Fair

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby PileDriver on Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:33 pm

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2012/08/2 ... tate-fair/

ST. PAUL (WCCO) — Two people are in the hospital after being stabbed at the Minnesota State Fair Sunday evening, according to police.

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story/19 ... state-fair
http://www.kare11.com/news/article/9885 ... State-Fair
PileDriver

Re: Stabbing @ Minnesota State Fair

Postby Lunchbox on Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:57 pm

And Joan and her crew wonder why people carry at the fair. :roll:
"Time is the best teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all of its students" - Robin Williams
"You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington." - Ash Williams
Lunchbox

Postby photogpat on Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:00 pm

Lunchbox wrote:And Joan and her crew wonder why people carry at the fair. :roll:

Joan's response will of course be, "See, since they didn't have guns, they just got stabbed, and will live. If they'd have had a gun, someone would have *gasp* *clutch pearls* DIED!!!11!!eleventy!!"

:roll:
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Grayskies on Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:01 pm

Lunchbox wrote:And Joan and her crew wonder why people carry at the fair. :roll:

No, they are probably wondering when they can get started on a knife ban like they have in England.
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Lunchbox on Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:28 pm

Grayskies wrote:

No, they are probably wondering when they can get started on a knife ban like they have in England.

That being said and after reading some of her stuff, would it surprise you?
"Time is the best teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all of its students" - Robin Williams
"You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington." - Ash Williams
Lunchbox

Postby xd ED on Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:55 pm

http://news.minnesota.publicradio.org/features/2003/08/20_zdechlikm_statefairguns/

The article is worth reading, if only for Atty David Gross's comments.

Minnesota State Fair Director Jerry Hammer says it makes no more sense to allow guns at the fair than it does to allow archers to shoot arrows on the midway.

Image "It's just common sense. I don't know that I can really elaborate much more on that," says Hammer. "There's not a large fair in the country, or theme park, that allows weapons. It's common sense."

Hammer says there are simply too many people around the fairgrounds to allow weapons. He says the Minnesota State Fair is a safe place, leaving no need for people to protect themselves.

Ooops! :doh:

Maybe it wasn't a stabbing, merely an injury caused by a blade-on-a-stick
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Humphrey Bogart on Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:45 am

Guns don't kill people,

Knives do.
Humphrey Bogart

Postby Irish.40 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:13 am

According to Hammer, the more people in a state owned public place, the less legitimate state law becomes. I would love to take David Gross up on his offer. But I need to work on a regular basis.
Glock 23
Hornady JHP
Crossbreed Belt
Blackhawk Serpa Level II
"There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -James Madison
Irish.40

Postby redaudi on Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:21 am

I'm awfully tempted to take him up on the issue. I work midnight to 8 am, and have no issue spending daylight (read: normal business) hours working with it. So tempting.
O.o derp
redaudi

Postby bstrawse on Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:24 am

Note that the article in question is nine years old. I'd recommend checking with David before proceeding - particularly because he's mostly retired at this point...

b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby bstrawse on Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:24 am

Lunchbox wrote:
Grayskies wrote:

That being said and after reading some of her stuff, would it surprise you?

Not one bit...
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby chudrockz on Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:37 am

I don't think I will mention this to my wife, as we're leaving to head there in about fifteen minutes! Sigh.
chudrockz

Postby redaudi on Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:57 am

bstrawse wrote:Note that the article in question is nine years old. I'd recommend checking with David before proceeding - particularly because he's mostly retired at this point...

b

abort abort abort :bolt:
O.o derp
redaudi

Postby cobb on Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:18 am

Minnesota State Fair Director Jerry Hammer says it makes no more sense to allow guns at the fair than it does to allow archers to shoot arrows on the midway.

Wow, that is just a brilliant statement. :roll:

After initially reading the article I was wondering about the statement on posting. Again this year on Thursday we came in the main entrance on Snelling and I saw no signs.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby Irish.40 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:50 am

bstrawse wrote:Note that the article in question is nine years old. I'd recommend checking with David before proceeding - particularly because he's mostly retired at this point...

b

I saw the date of publication. That doesn't change my wanting to work with David. That is, if he isnt retired. Oh well, I wasn't planning on going to the fair anyway.
Glock 23
Hornady JHP
Crossbreed Belt
Blackhawk Serpa Level II
"There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -James Madison
Irish.40

Next

Return to In The News