12 year old boy charged for discharging airsoft gun

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

12 year old boy charged for discharging airsoft gun

Postby Terry on Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:39 am

Terry

Re: 12 year old boy charged for discharging airsoft gun

Postby acerpower on Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:10 am

Wow, these laws are getting a bit ridiculous.
According to the law you could also be charged for shooting a Nerf gun, or a super soaker squirt gun.
What's next? Someday it will probably be illegal to say the word "gun". :roll:
acerpower

Postby Heffay on Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:17 am

Whoever came up with zero tolerance rules should have been beat soundly.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby tman on Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:22 am

Heffay wrote:Whoever came up with zero tolerance rules should have been beat soundly.

And repeatedly.

This is stupid.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby tazdevil on Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:20 pm

Well it's rare that I would say something like this, but in this case, if it goes to court, sounds like he would get off on a technicality; which in this case would be a good thing. Two technicalities, actually from the article:

Mike Johnston pointed out there is nothing in the police officer’s report saying he told the boys they had the right to remain silent before they admitted to shooting the air guns. They also weren’t told they could have their parents with them before being questioned, Johnston said.

Airsoft Gun appears to be in many city codes, however, I don't think you'll see enforcement unless someone complains, or it's pointed at a officer (which of course could lead to much worse than a minor fine!).
1911 Fan quote in memoirium about carrying:
The purpose of a firearm in a defensive situation is to make the other guy leak from holes he was not born with. Your job is to install those orifices for him.
tazdevil

Location: over your shoulder, whispering sweet nothings in your ear.

Postby TTS on Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:54 pm

Most city ordinances are written in a similar manner, I just haven't seen them enforced with such a lack of intelligence.
Owner
Tactical Training Solutions
Specializing in Self Defense and Firearms Training
http://www.minnesotaccw.com
TTS

Postby GARAGE DWELLER on Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:40 pm

This story seems a bit one sided. Maybe junior saw Sally down the street and thought it would be fun to shoot at her. Maybe she took a few to the face. We played "guns" all the time growing up. Plastic guns, squirt guns, gun made out of wood with unlimited "ammo". No such thing as airsoft (although that would have been awesome) we ran around the neighborhood having a good time. Either way a visit from the cops to junior, then to the parents should have been more than sufficient.
GARAGE DWELLER

Postby LarryP on Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:00 pm

Guys a permit holder- Cops don't like that- Punish the kid to get back at dad.
LarryP

Postby tazdevil on Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:52 am

LarryP wrote:Guys a permit holder- Cops don't like that- Punish the kid to get back at dad.

Now where do you get this information? I have 4 cops living within a block of me (2 city cops, a sheriff deputy for my county, and a sheriff deputy for a neighboring county), that all know I carry, and feel more people should. One even asked my wife why she doesn't carry yet. Spent a half hour talking to the county sheriff, that would sign or reject myself from carrying, when he came around discussing this very thing, and he said as long as carry holders abide by the law, he was perfectly fine with carrying.
1911 Fan quote in memoirium about carrying:
The purpose of a firearm in a defensive situation is to make the other guy leak from holes he was not born with. Your job is to install those orifices for him.
tazdevil

Location: over your shoulder, whispering sweet nothings in your ear.

Postby cobb on Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:26 am

LarryP wrote:Guys a permit holder- Cops don't like that- Punish the kid to get back at dad.

I was also wondering about this statement. I have friends that are LEO's, I shoot with LEO's and have trained with LEO's and they are all pro carry. Now I will agree maybe partially with that statement if it is referring to the LEO's that have sat at a desk for years and have a political agenda, but even then only maybe.

Mankato's Director of Public Safety and his assistant are both pro carry, some may remember that Todd Miller spoke at one of the House committee meetings in favor of the Minnesota stand your ground bill.

I do know that the North Mankato Chief of Police Chris Boyer is also pro carry, can't explain why here, but he is. So I really doubt that because the father has a permit to carry has anything to do with the 12 year old being prosecuted.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby sgruenhagen44 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:33 am

I'm going to agree with the other guys. I work with a county sherriff. He is our parts manager. He knows I carry and has no problem with it, We had multiple discussions about what I should buy as a carry gun. Some people are dicks, that's the bottom line, adn some of those guys are cops. I had the cops called on me for shooting a 1,000 fps plus pellet gun in North St. Paul. He just gave me a warning. HE could have done much more.
sgruenhagen44

Postby Dante on Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:37 am

tazdevil wrote:Well it's rare that I would say something like this, but in this case, if it goes to court, sounds like he would get off on a technicality; which in this case would be a good thing. Two technicalities, actually from the article:

Mike Johnston pointed out there is nothing in the police officer’s report saying he told the boys they had the right to remain silent before they admitted to shooting the air guns. They also weren’t told they could have their parents with them before being questioned, Johnston said.

Airsoft Gun appears to be in many city codes, however, I don't think you'll see enforcement unless someone complains, or it's pointed at a officer (which of course could lead to much worse than a minor fine!).

I think there may be only one technicality there as from my understanding, minors are not afforded the same rights as adults.

Am I wrong?
Dante

Postby tman on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:25 pm

Dante wrote:
I think there may be only one technicality there as from my understanding, minors are not afforded the same rights as adults.

Am I wrong?

Depends.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby texasprowler on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:28 am

The two technicalities mentioned suggest these are felony charges. That seems unusual for violating a city ordinance.
texasprowler

Postby Terry on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:45 pm

It will be interesting to see how this turns out.
Terry

Return to In The News