Road Rage shooting

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Road Rage shooting

Postby xracer390 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:12 am

ISANTI, Minn. -- What appears to have begun as road rage led to one man being air-lifted to Hennepin County Medical Center after a gun-shot wound to the face Saturday afternoon, according to Isanti Police.

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/9931 ... -incident-

I was probably 1,000 feet away from the shooter when this happened.
Burnouts, big horsepower, and things that go bang!
xracer390

Road Rage shooting

Postby JoeH on Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:18 am

Crazy. Kind of a twist that the shooter appears to be the one who headed to the police station.

Joe
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Re: Road Rage shooting

Postby xracer390 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:25 am

JoeH wrote:Crazy. Kind of a twist that the shooter appears to be the one who headed to the police station.

Joe

Self preservation?
xracer390

Road Rage shooting

Postby JoeH on Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:43 am

Hopefully justified SD. Too often in these road rage situations, the shooter is far from reluctant.

Joe
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby Humphrey Bogart on Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:42 pm

ISANTI, Minn. -- What appears to have begun as road rage led to one man being air-lifted to Hennepin County Medical Center after a gun-shot wound to the face Saturday afternoon, according to Isanti Police.

The incident ended in front of the Isanti Police Station where it quickly turned violent. Authorities have not released many details and are still trying to piece together all of the events that led to the shooting.

Authorities say two men on motorcycles and another in a car became angry at another on the roadway. The driver of the car drove to the Isanti Police Station where he was followed by the men on motorcycles.

According to police, an altercation took place in front of the station where the man behind the wheel of his car shot one of the other men in the face.

'Incident took place infront of Isanti police station' ???

Was this guy on the phone w/ 911...I never leave the house without a cell and 2 extra batteries.

I 'hope' I would have been on w/ 911 on the way over to the police station...maybe taking some video as well.

I want more info here.
Humphrey Bogart

Postby photogpat on Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:47 pm

From the Strib:

"When she and her daughter approached the scene, they saw two motorcycles and two men, one of whom appeared to be in the custody of an officer and another on the ground without his shirt on."

Paging tman....I seem to recall something about how shirts always get removed during a fight... :lol:
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Heffay on Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:24 pm

photogpat wrote:Paging tman....

There could be a reason he hasn't commented on this issue yet.... :?
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby BemidjiDweller on Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:37 pm

I'm also interested in more details.

Not saying this is the case here, but wasn't there a shooting at another police station a while back where the victim (shooter) was running away from someone trying to kill him? There was video somewhere.
BemidjiDweller

Postby Humphrey Bogart on Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:58 pm

I can't see how the chased person would not be on the phone w/ 911....that's my first action in rehearsing a road rage scenario.

Video w/ time / and gps info would be usefull also.
Humphrey Bogart

Road Rage shooting

Postby xd ED on Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:41 pm

Humphrey Bogart wrote:I can't see how the chased person would not be on the phone w/ 911....that's my first action in rehearsing a road rage scenario.

If someone who is a threat is chasing me, my first response is to flee to safety, not try to dial a phone and drive.
I'd probably drive by/ around the police station honking, flashing my lights. If it were safe to do so I might try to use the phone, but it wouldn't be a immediate concern to try calling anyone of I'm driving under duress.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby xracer390 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:43 pm

xd ED wrote:
Humphrey Bogart wrote:I can't see how the chased person would not be on the phone w/ 911....that's my first action in rehearsing a road rage scenario.

If someone who is a threat is chasing me, my first response is to flee to safety, not try to dial a phone and drive.
I'd probably drive by/ around the police station honking, flashing my lights. If it were safe to do so I might try to use the phone, but it wouldn't be a immediate concern to try calling anyone of I'm driving under duress.

I dont think I would be dialing either, why crash when trying to get away. I dont understand shooting when he was in the safety of his car unless they broke the window and pulled him out. On the other hand a bike is hardly a match for any size car, just drive them off the road. Couldnt be as bad as shooting someone.
xracer390

Postby xd ED on Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:07 pm

xracer390 wrote:
xd ED wrote:

I dont think I would be dialing either, why crash when trying to get away. I dont understand shooting when he was in the safety of his car unless they broke the window and pulled him out. On the other hand a bike is hardly a match for any size car, just drive them off the road. Couldnt be as bad as shooting someone.

I wonder about that too. To someone in a car, a motorcycle/ biker-no mater how intimidating they look or sound isn't much of a threat unless they're either throwing stuff at the glass, or threatening to shoot. Zig-zaging down the road should keep them at bay. I wonder if maybe they caught up to him as he pulled into the police lot.
All speculation on my part, as the facts aren't known yet.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby BU1 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:10 pm

Hmmm, Will be interesting to see if the shooter is a local. Either coincidence he found the cop shop or he knew it was there. Too bad he didn't pull in the west lot where the squads normally are. Maybe visible squads might have defused the situation.
BU1

Re: Re: Road Rage shooting

Postby tman on Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:24 pm

Heffay wrote:
photogpat wrote:Paging tman....

There could be a reason he hasn't commented on this issue yet.... :?

I got nothin'.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby Jeff Bergquist on Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:34 am

Regarding possible scenarios, I believe that most people would assume that if someone is threatening you, pulling into a police station should be enough to make them back off, without needing any fancy evasive driving techniques. If that doesn't work but the aggressor instead starts smashing windows with say a piece of pipe, then a shoot could IMO be justified. Not saying this is what happened, but until we know more it seems plausible.
The bold type giveth, the fine print taketh away.
Jeff Bergquist

Next

Return to In The News