Israeli cease fire

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Israeli cease fire

Postby Heffay on Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:02 am

One Man Wolf Pack wrote:just further along in their de-evolution and inability to produce anything.

:o

Why do we tolerate **** like this on our forums?
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby sgruenhagen44 on Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:21 am

Don't get me wrong I know a lot of good things have come from the middle east, but I would say they are backsliding.
sgruenhagen44

Postby Heffay on Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:23 am

sgruenhagen44 wrote:Don't get me wrong I know a lot of good things have come from the middle east, but I would say they are backsliding.

You don't see anything wrong with his comment??
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby sgruenhagen44 on Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:51 am

Heffay wrote:
sgruenhagen44 wrote:Don't get me wrong I know a lot of good things have come from the middle east, but I would say they are backsliding.

You don't see anything wrong with his comment??

I do Heffay. I really do. But its an internet forum. Quite frequently you take little shots at people or make somewhat offensive comments and holler at others and claim personal attacks. NOthing racially motivated obviously. I'm just kinda saying o well, I have read crazier stupider **** on here at some point. Thats why we have moderators. Don't worry as predictable as some of your posts are, others crack me up so I will continue to read them. Your posts also tend to draw out the real hardcore right- wingers on here and its quite entertaining.
sgruenhagen44

Postby Heffay on Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:58 am

sgruenhagen44 wrote:I do Heffay. I really do. But its an internet forum. Quite frequently you take little shots at people or make somewhat offensive comments and holler at others and claim personal attacks. NOthing racially motivated obviously. I'm just kinda saying o well, I have read crazier stupider **** on here at some point. Thats why we have moderators. Don't worry as predictable as some of your posts are, others crack me up so I will continue to read them. Your posts also tend to draw out the real hardcore right- wingers on here and its quite entertaining.

The gun community already has a problem with its image as a bastion for racists & bigots. We need to police our own. That means whenever someone on this forum does something to harm the community, we pile on them until they either go away or apologize for their comments and keep their bigoted thoughts to themselves. It doesn't belong here.
Heffay

Postby tman on Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:17 am

Heffay wrote:
One Man Wolf Pack wrote:just further along in their de-evolution and inability to produce anything.

:o

Why do we tolerate **** like this on our forums?

Free speech, and all that ****....
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby Heffay on Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:20 am

tman wrote:Free speech, and all that ****....

That includes the freedom to rip on him, right? He can say whatever he wants, as long as he's ok with the consequences.

It'll be interesting to see if the forum mods consider public ridicule of him worse than the things he said.
Heffay

Postby Jeff Bergquist on Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:30 am

Heffay wrote:The gun community already has a problem with its image as a bastion for racists & bigots. We need to police our own. That means whenever someone on this forum does something to harm the community, we pile on them until they either go away or apologize for their comments and keep their bigoted thoughts to themselves. It doesn't belong here.

The "Gun Community" does have a lot of racists and bigots. IMO and experience, most people are racist to an extent, not least of all people of color themselves. Gun owners tend to be the folks who are more comfortable with hand tools of all kinds, many of which folks tend to come from the crimson collar coalition. Having acknowledged that, I feel it is better to combat the arguments on their merits rather than try to socially squash them. I'm always in favor of truly free discourse rather than PC de facto censorship. I'm also not overly concerned about the "image" of the gun community, since IMO just being part of such a community makes us villains to many of those that aren't a part, and I think that's unlikely to change in our lifetimes no matter what we do.
The bold type giveth, the fine print taketh away.
Jeff Bergquist

Postby Heffay on Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:57 am

Jeff Bergquist wrote:
Heffay wrote:The gun community already has a problem with its image as a bastion for racists & bigots. We need to police our own. That means whenever someone on this forum does something to harm the community, we pile on them until they either go away or apologize for their comments and keep their bigoted thoughts to themselves. It doesn't belong here.

The "Gun Community" does have a lot of racists and bigots. IMO and experience, most people are racist to an extent, not least of all people of color themselves. Gun owners tend to be the folks who are more comfortable with hand tools of all kinds, many of which folks tend to come from the crimson collar coalition. Having acknowledged that, I feel it is better to combat the arguments on their merits rather than try to socially squash them. I'm always in favor of truly free discourse rather than PC de facto censorship. I'm also not overly concerned about the "image" of the gun community, since IMO just being part of such a community makes us villains to many of those that aren't a part, and I think that's unlikely to change in our lifetimes no matter what we do.

And yet you don't attack his arguments at all. Qui Tacit Consentire.

Roger that.
Heffay

Postby sgruenhagen44 on Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:24 am

Jeff Bergquist wrote:

True. "gun community" is all relative. I think there are guys on here who are not racists and biggots or at least have not openly expressed their views yet they are just as detrimental to our "cause." Such as the guy who totes around an ak or open carries with a bunch of magazines on their belt. Yes I am guilty of open carrying at times but only places where I know I will not have any issues or cause a ruckus. Or how about the guy with the pro gun t shirts like "call 1911, not 911." Ya all are makin us look like a bunch of crazies. I don't hide my interest in guns at all. If a co worker asks me what I'm doing this weekend I'm not going to think of an elaborate excuse to hide the fact I'm going shooting or hunting but I don't think I come off as a nut.
sgruenhagen44

Postby Heffay on Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:21 am

sgruenhagen44 wrote:True. "gun community" is all relative. I think there are guys on here who are not racists and biggots or at least have not openly expressed their views yet they are just as detrimental to our "cause." Such as the guy who totes around an ak or open carries with a bunch of magazines on their belt. Yes I am guilty of open carrying at times but only places where I know I will not have any issues or cause a ruckus. Or how about the guy with the pro gun t shirts like "call 1911, not 911." Ya all are makin us look like a bunch of crazies. I don't hide my interest in guns at all. If a co worker asks me what I'm doing this weekend I'm not going to think of an elaborate excuse to hide the fact I'm going shooting or hunting but I don't think I come off as a nut.

So we attack the guy who brandishes an SKS at a bunch of kids, but the bigots get a free pass?

Oh, throw on a big helping of attacking the messenger too. Let's make sure we ignore the elephant in the room. Wouldn't want to have to talk about it, right? The Minnesota way: You can't be passive aggressive enough.
Heffay

Postby Jeff Bergquist on Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:24 am

Heffay wrote:And yet you don't attack his arguments at all. Qui Tacit Consentire.

Roger that.

Perhaps. I'm generally not one to argue peoples beliefs, no matter what I think about them personally, as all it accomplishes is frustration. So I generally ignore such things. Those of you who like that sort of thing though, have at it. Free speech can work both ways. My only reason for posting at all was at the suggestion to ban implied by your statement "Why do we tolerate this?"

Heffay wrote:So we attack the guy who brandishes an SKS at a bunch of kids, but the bigots get a free pass?

And yes, IMO bigots get a free pass in a sense, until they start acting on their beliefs. Notice I also didn't waste my breath criticizing AK guy, the legal system now has that job.
Jeff Bergquist

Postby sgruenhagen44 on Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:46 am

I can get on a soap box and start yelling racial slurs as much as I want which will admittedly scare and anger people, but brandishing my sks while yelling those slurs on a soap box or just minus the slurs probably scares people more. So yes, going to kinda agree with Bergquist on this one. Saying and doing are completely two different things. But look at our nation, it is perfectly legal and acceptable for nazis to have rallies, we have people jeering at funerals for our fallen heroes of our military, I went to a public high school and had a black kid stand up and start yelling "reparations! reparations!" in class. All equally stupid and closed minded but o well. Whats the point of trying to change someones mind? We have had multiple forum members call obama osama, I have heard numerous of m friends and co workers rip on romney for his religious views. This is MMMerica!! IF ya don't like it then git!! This is all in jest, just so ya know. Point being, one guy on mnguntalk saying the middles east is going down the toilet is not that big of a deal. My good friend from Iran constantly would tell me how crazy his people are and that he is happy he got out when he could, only regret is he can no longer see his family there for the fear of being killed because he is viewed as a traitor!!! He is also a part of our "community." Should we police peoples thoughts? No, but when their ACTIONS are stupid, then by all means attack and insult and disown!!! I can't even remember the original comment, something about the middle east never being productive or something like that. I think mexico is a S**t hole and would never vacation there. Does that mean I hate mexicans? Of course not. Come to think of it I will soon be living with two.
sgruenhagen44

Postby Heffay on Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:52 am

So many words used to reply to me. None to him.

Such a fine community of upstanding citizens we are. So proud of us right now.

Qui Tacit Consentire.
Heffay

Postby Jeff Bergquist on Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:13 pm

Heffay wrote:So many words used to reply to me. None to him.

Such a fine community of upstanding citizens we are. So proud of us right now.

Qui Tacit Consentire.

You should feel flattered, it means we think you can be helped. :D In reality though, what do you expect when you call us out for ignoring a bigoted comment? Did you really expect to shame us all into jumping on the Heffay bandwagon and playing Hogpile on the Bigot?
Jeff Bergquist

PreviousNext

Return to In The News