Obama and Guns - The Synopsis of the Speech

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Obama and Guns - The Synopsis of the Speech

Postby jdege on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:40 pm

XDM45 wrote:23 executive orders.

Universal background check for any gun purchases - even for private parties
[...]

In my mind, this is the most dangerous.
jdege

Postby sochr000 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:42 pm

Scratch wrote:I missed the first part of the speech. But I read all 23 of his orders. I didn't see anything about any ban on mags or firearms...?

Did I miss something or are they worded too tricky for an idiot like me to figure out?

I remember him saying it, just after introducing the cute kids he brought in for the "awww" factor. He said (paraphrased) "Congress needs to ban high capacity magazines that hold more than 10rds"
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
God (From Futurama)

"Sometimes I think war is God's way of teaching us geography."
--Paul Rodriguez
sochr000

Postby Scratch on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:49 pm

sochr000 wrote:
Scratch wrote:I missed the first part of the speech. But I read all 23 of his orders. I didn't see anything about any ban on mags or firearms...?

Did I miss something or are they worded too tricky for an idiot like me to figure out?

I remember him saying it, just after introducing the cute kids he brought in for the "awww" factor. He said (paraphrased) "Congress needs to ban high capacity magazines that hold more than 10rds"

So his executive orders have nothing to do with any bans on anything.... He's just requesting that congress moves forward with the bans right?
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby elroy on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:55 pm

Heffay wrote:
sochr000 wrote:He said that private sales would need background checks, is that part of what he hopes congress will pass, or is that one of his executive orders? I see he mentions private sales through FFL holders, but not sure what that entails.

My guess is that it's optional for those who want to sell guns to a 3rd party, and use an FFL. It clarifies to the FFL how to handle those transactions, but doesn't require them.

Again, best guess.

Does this mean that I cannot give (or will) my firearms to my son?
USCCA Training Counselor
MCPPA Instructor - http://www.MNTactics.com
NRA - Basic Pistol and Personal Protection in the Home Instructor
MN DNR Firearm Safety Instructor
25 years of Law Enforcement Experience
elroy

Postby XDM45 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:00 pm

Gun Violence Prevention Live Feed starting at 1pm CST - http://www.c-span.org/Live-Video/C-SPAN/
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby Hmac on Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:04 pm

LarryP wrote:A doctor can notify cops that you might be a "threat" to own a gun. Say you go in for some type of mental therapy, are depressed etc.
If reported, who knows what you could be denied. Carry permit cancelled? PTP rejected? Guns taken away? Who knows!
Best to say no if it's ever brought up.

Nope. A doctor in this state can't report someone for being depressed or requiring "mental therapy", whatever that is. They are legally obligated to notify cops if someone represents a "danger to themselves or others". If so, a 72 hour hold can be placed, the patient must be adjudged worthy or not worthy of involuntary commitment.

Physicians are not required to ask anyone about guns in their homes. Some specialty societies encourage this of their members, as they view guns in the home as a public health issue, but it's not required. But even if you are asked, you just decline to answer. IMHO, doctors have no valid need of that information. If you do answer, the data goes into your medical record. No one has access to that record except you and your doctor and it can't be released without your permission (except in the case where it's subpoenaed via court order).
Hmac

Postby ex-LT on Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:17 pm

t140 wrote:
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.

18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.

These are at least a step in the right direction. I don't feel much of a threat on the 2A coming from Bammy. However we do still have to worry about congress and state level bills.

They may be a step in the right direction, but I'm pretty sure the training and emergency response plans for dealing with active shooter scenarios that BHO has in mind don't include confronting the shooter with deadly force.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby XDM45 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:25 pm

ex-LT wrote:
t140 wrote:
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.

19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.

These are at least a step in the right direction. I don't feel much of a threat on the 2A coming from Bammy. However we do still have to worry about congress and state level bills.

They may be a step in the right direction, but I'm pretty sure the training and emergency response plans for dealing with active shooter scenarios that BHO has in mind don't include confronting the shooter with deadly force.

Ok kiddies.. now when the active shooter enters the school, hide under your desks.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby t140 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:29 pm

ex-LT wrote:These are at least a step in the right direction. I don't feel much of a threat on the 2A coming from Bammy. However we do still have to worry about congress and state level bills.

They may be a step in the right direction, but I'm pretty sure the training and emergency response plans for dealing with active shooter scenarios that BHO has in mind don't include confronting the shooter with deadly force.[/quote]

You are probably correct. I was listening to 830AM two nights ago (I rarely listen to the radio, but was driving someone else's car with it already on) and one of the anchors said her kid had already been through some training. IIRC she called it duck and cover. Basically teaching kids to barricade the doors and hide under their desk. I thought that was pretty impressive for a school in MN to be doing that already. Most of MN lives in a dream world. They took phone calls also and every single person but one agreed that armed security in schools was the best idea for immediate security.

Like I said, a step in the right direction. Not completely solving the issue. Remember how we worry about our 2A rights being chipped away, not taken in one swoop? Same applies here. We get people to come back to reality one chip at a time.
t140

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:57 pm

Hmac wrote: Nope. A doctor in this state can't report someone for being depressed or requiring "mental therapy", whatever that is. They are legally obligated to notify cops if someone represents a "danger to themselves or others". If so, a 72 hour hold can be placed, the patient must be adjudged worthy or not worthy of involuntary commitment.

Physicians are not required to ask anyone about guns in their homes. Some specialty societies encourage this of their members, as they view guns in the home as a public health issue, but it's not required. But even if you are asked, you just decline to answer. IMHO, doctors have no valid need of that information. If you do answer, the data goes into your medical record. No one has access to that record except you and your doctor and it can't be released without your permission (except in the case where it's subpoenaed via court order).

That only holds water until the Doctors are all actual or Quasi - Government employees. At that point who knows what the guy who signs the checks and pays their salary can ask of them............ In the interest of the children and safety of society - of course.................. Who could turn that down - its for the good of everyone...............If we can save just one life - it will be worth it.................oh by the way, your funding will be cut and your claims for services won't be processed unless you send us "THE LIST".................
Of course that is all pretty tinfoil hat kinda stuff, but not too far that it isn't possible.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:58 pm

Hmac wrote: Nope. A doctor in this state can't report someone for being depressed or requiring "mental therapy", whatever that is. They are legally obligated to notify cops if someone represents a "danger to themselves or others". If so, a 72 hour hold can be placed, the patient must be adjudged worthy or not worthy of involuntary commitment.

That only holds water until the Doctors are all actual or Quasi - Government employees. At that point who knows what the guy who signs the checks and pays their salary can ask of them............ In the interest of the children and safety of society - of course.................. Who could turn that down - its for the good of everyone...............If we can save just one life - it will be worth it.................oh by the way, your funding will be cut and your claims for services won't be processed unless you send us "THE LIST".................
Of course that is all pretty tinfoil hat kinda stuff, but not too far that it isn't possible.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby John S. on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:01 pm

XDM45 wrote:
Thunder71 wrote:Yet he mentions nothing about gun free zones, the main target of these whack jobs.

You can;'t expect gubmet to fix problems, it subsides them and avoids real issues.

Just to "create" them.......................... ;)
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. -- P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian
John S.

Postby LarryP on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:04 pm

How could they even monitor this? I sell to you, we don't say a word. Sounds like a feel good action

jdege wrote:
XDM45 wrote:23 executive orders.

Universal background check for any gun purchases - even for private parties
[...]

In my mind, this is the most dangerous.
LarryP

Postby jshuberg on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:20 pm

Overall I don't see too many issues, but a few things popped out at me:
6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.

While this appears benign, it is potentially dangerous in the future. Several of our 'representatives' have stated that they are in favor of outright confiscation of firearms at some point. However, this isn't feasible so long as the government doesn't have a federal registry of at least the majority of guns in the country. Under the guise of a background check, every firearm transfer would go through an FFL. They would record the buyer and sellers information, type of firearm and serial number. Private sales from friend to friend, neighbor to neighbor, father to son, etc. would now have the transfer logged. After a certain amount of time, expect legislation requiring FFL's to turn in their books, which would result in a national database of the ownership and location of most firearms in the country. At this point, confiscation or a forced buyback would be possible.

If the desire is that every transfer go through a background check, they should open the NICS system to the public, or make it illegal for the FFL to log anything about the firearm, and only who the background check was requested on. Going about it this way would result in the checks that everyone wants, without the consequence of creating the ability to build a national firearm registration database.

14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.

This also appears benign, but the worry is that the CDC will classify firearms ownership as a health care risk like smoking, causing our health care premiums to skyrocket. By having the CDC investigate firearms violence, and also allowing (and at some point requiring) health care providers to identify firearms owners, we could be singled out and punished financially via the federal health care system created via ObamaCare.

I'd be willing to bet at least half of these executive orders are for the purpose of furthering the anti-gun agenda in some way that we just don't see at this point. These are the ones that pop out to me. It appears that Obama is trying to move the ball forward a few yards to be in a better position for 'next time'. The best thing we can do is flood our representatives with letters and emails to the point that their not willing to entertain a 'next time' for the rest of their careers.
Last edited by jshuberg on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby Greg on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:31 pm

LarryP wrote:Adding counsoulers etc to the schools is a waste of money IMO. Schools waste enough of our money. Now they get the green lite to hire more people that won't make a difference

t140 wrote:
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper

training for active shooter situations.

"School Resource Officers" is PC edu-speak for Cops or Guards. Some schools already have them.
Diesel Boats and tube radios forever!
Greg

PreviousNext

Return to In The News