Obama and Guns - The Synopsis of the Speech

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Obama and Guns - The Synopsis of the Speech

Postby XDM45 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:15 am

23 executive orders.

Universal background check for any gun purchases - even for private parties
Obama wants congress to ban the above 10 round magazine limit and the military style weapon ban (aka 1994)
Sever punishment for people who sell firearms to criminals
Wants Tom Jones to head up the ATF. No director for the last 6 years.
Wants congress to take action immediately on some proposals, others may take longer. He did not specify which and in what time frame.
Overall he was vague. I'd like to see the actual wording of the proposals.

He was spreading some serious FUD, saying that people will attempt to do things behind the scene to prevent their proposals and actions from taking place. He basically did a call to arms for support against our arms and our freedom. In short, he's worried things won't pass. Obama said the things they want won't happen unless the American people want it to, so we do stand a chance. Let's see the actual documents and wording so we know what we're fighting exactly; then we need to take action accordingly. We need to take action NOW to see what they have in store for us. We can't assume that this will be an exact restoration or duplication of the 1994 ban, I have a suspicion it would be worse.

Join the NRA, GOA, GOCRA, attend events, educate yourselves and each other, the general public, whoever will listen and whatever you can do. NOW is the time.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Re: Obama and Guns - The Synopsis of the Speech

Postby Heffay on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:22 am

XDM45 wrote:n short, he's worried things won't pass.

In short he knows things won't pass. He just basically left it up to congress, who have elections to worry about soon.

Nice!
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby Thunder71 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:23 am

Yet he mentions nothing about gun free zones, the main target of these whack jobs.
Thunder71

Postby Grgkng on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:24 am

Last edited by Grgkng on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tractus Arms is your Master Dealer for Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, Guncrafter Industries, Les Baer, as well as Ed Brown 1911's and many more!
Direct: 651-788-6098
Info@TractusArms.com
http://www.TractusArms.com
Grgkng

Postby XDM45 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:24 am

Thunder71 wrote:Yet he mentions nothing about gun free zones, the main target of these whack jobs.

You can;'t expect gubmet to fix problems, it subsides them and avoids real issues.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby XDM45 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:25 am

Heffay wrote:
XDM45 wrote:n short, he's worried things won't pass.

In short he knows things won't pass. He just basically left it up to congress, who have elections to worry about soon.

Nice!

Exactly. He won't risk his neck because he has a career to worry about after 2016, let the others stick their necks out. :) Hopefully that will work in our favor and gun owners will win this battle.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby Thunder71 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:27 am

•1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.
•2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
•3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
•4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
•5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
•6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
•7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
•8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
•9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
•10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.
•11. Nominate an ATF director.
•12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.
•13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
•14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
•15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.
•16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
•17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
•18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
•19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
•20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
•21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.
•22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.
•23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.
Thunder71

Postby XDM45 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:30 am

Grgkng wrote:http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/obama-take-23-executive-actions-guns_696116.html

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2013/01/16/ob ... ?hpt=hp_c1

Thanks for that.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby Evad on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:36 am

Thunder71 wrote:Yet he mentions nothing about gun free zones, the main target of these whack jobs.

He mentioned Chicago gun killings (only mentioned the childrn, but I digress). However, he didn't point out that those guns aren't even supposed to be there, hence gun conrol measures did nothing to stop the criminals.
Evad

Postby sochr000 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:38 am

He said that private sales would need background checks, is that part of what he hopes congress will pass, or is that one of his executive orders? I see he mentions private sales through FFL holders, but not sure what that entails.
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
God (From Futurama)

"Sometimes I think war is God's way of teaching us geography."
--Paul Rodriguez
sochr000

Postby LarryP on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:39 am

Don't ever mention to your doctor you have guns or even like guns! Don't even bring up the subject!!
If you Get a anti gun wacko doctor you could be in one big mess!!
LarryP

Postby Heffay on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:40 am

sochr000 wrote:He said that private sales would need background checks, is that part of what he hopes congress will pass, or is that one of his executive orders? I see he mentions private sales through FFL holders, but not sure what that entails.

My guess is that it's optional for those who want to sell guns to a 3rd party, and use an FFL. It clarifies to the FFL how to handle those transactions, but doesn't require them.

Again, best guess.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby XDM45 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:44 am

LarryP wrote:Don't ever mention to your doctor you have guns or even like guns! Don't even bring up the subject!!
If you Get a anti gun wacko doctor you could be in one big mess!!

If the doctor asks, don't say anything.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby 2in2out on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:46 am

XDM45 wrote:... Let's see the actual documents and wording so we know what we're fighting exactly; then we need to take action accordingly. We need to take action NOW to see what they have in store for us. We can't assume that this will be an exact restoration or duplication of the 1994 ban, I have a suspicion it would be worse.

Join the NRA, GOA, GOCRA, attend events, educate yourselves and each other, the general public, whoever will listen and whatever you can do. NOW is the time.

I agree 100%.

It is my opinion that whatever they succeed in banning, this cycle is going to be repeated. An AWB or mag limits won't solve a darned thing, and then they'll be back to ban something else.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby Thunder71 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:51 am

Evad wrote:

He mentioned Chicago gun killings (only mentioned the childrn, but I digress). However, he didn't point out that those guns aren't even supposed to be there, hence gun conrol measures did nothing to stop the criminals.

I thought the same thing, wanted to mention that through my monitor so bad!
Thunder71

Next

Return to In The News