Man in Plymouth shoots himself in bathroom..

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby TTS on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:02 pm

Owner
Tactical Training Solutions
Specializing in Self Defense and Firearms Training
http://www.minnesotaccw.com
TTS

Re: Man in Plymouth shoots himself in bathroom..

Postby LePetomane on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:16 pm

How does a gun accidentally discharge when one is on the throne?
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby Scratch on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:22 pm

I'll bet he was practicing draws in front of the mirror...

That's what I do in all the public bathrooms I go in. That way, when people walk in, they don't notice the smell because they run back out so quickly.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby Sarge_44 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:47 pm

LePetomane wrote:How does a gun accidentally discharge when one is on the throne?

Maybe he got mixed up when singing "this is my rifle. This is my gun. One is for shooting, one is for fun."
*Liberal Gun Owner*
Sarge_44

Postby jshuberg on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:03 pm

Chances are he shot himself while holstering or unholstering in the stall. This is one of those areas I don't think a lot of carry instructors go into well enough - how to deal with using a public restroom with different holster types.

I can only imaging this guy sitting on the throne, pants around his ankles, deposit in the bowl, and BANG, a bleeding hole in his leg. That's really gotta suck! He should have known better and all, but damn... Hopefully he had the presence of mind to wipe himself before the paramedics arrived.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby xd ED on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:08 pm

jshuberg wrote:Chances are he shot himself while holstering or unholstering in the stall. This is one of those areas I don't think a lot of carry instructors go into well enough - how to deal with using a public restroom with different holster types.

I can only imaging this guy sitting on the throne, pants around his ankles, deposit in the bowl, and BANG, a bleeding hole in his leg. That's really gotta suck! He should have known better and all, but damn... Hopefully he had the presence of mind to wipe himself before the paramedics arrived.

That's my speculation as well as to what happened.
It sounds almost funny to suggest it, but it's something to at least once experience with an unloaded gun before the real-world need arrives...
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby TTS on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:10 pm

jshuberg wrote:Chances are he shot himself while holstering or unholstering in the stall. This is one of those areas I don't think a lot of carry instructors go into well enough - how to deal with using a public restroom with different holster types.

While I agree that this could be covered in more detail, the 4 rules of firearms safety should cover it pretty well. This guy clearly pointed the gun at something he was unwilling to destroy and pressed the trigger. :shock:
Owner
Tactical Training Solutions
Specializing in Self Defense and Firearms Training
http://www.minnesotaccw.com
TTS

Postby xd ED on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:13 pm

TTS wrote:

While I agree that this could be covered in more detail, the 4 rules of firearms safety should cover it pretty well. This guy clearly pointed the gun at something he was unwilling to destroy and pressed the trigger. :shock:

My guess is it either slid out of a holster, or rolled in or out on the axis of his belt, and he made a panic grab to keep it from hitting the floor.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby jshuberg on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:46 pm

Very true, but just like anything else in life, people tend to fail more often when they have to figure out how to do something without instruction.

I'm guessing he was pulling up his pants with the grip when it came out of the holster, and he unintentionally pulled the trigger trying to reholster it while it was flopping around without a belt. Or the tail of his shirt could have got into the trigger guard and pulled the trigger as he pushed it into the holster. These are things we all need to think about. Safety needs to become ceremony.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby Nalez on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:48 pm

Heh, this is something my instructor specifiably covered. It would have been something I would have never thought about...
Nalez

Postby TH3180 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:20 pm

See I have been tell you guys. The hook on the door is not a place to hang your gun by the trigger gaurd.

Well got my PSA for the week out of the way early. 8-)
MrVvrroomm wrote:What time is lunch? I'm having a colonoscopy that morning at 1000. I'm sure I'll be hungry.
TH3180

Postby MNGunGuy on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:47 pm

Carry with a manual safety, check.
MNGunGuy

Postby shooter115 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:29 pm

I'll also put my money on a re-holstering incident. Side note on the issue of public restrooms. If you where a coat with a hood, hang your coat on the hook and the hood makes for a great place to keep your weapon while taking care of business. I can't speak for every jacket, but it works great with my UA jacket.
shooter115

Postby farmerj on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:58 am

As an instructor, you want me to teach you how to wipe you nose and ass too?

Sorry not going to happen. Some of this stuff you need to accept personal responsibility for. "Requiring" anything past the laws and the basics is stupid. You can't teach everything in a 6-8 hour class as it is.

Failure to safely handle a gun resulting in yours or someone else is not the failure of an instructor. No matter HOW MUCH we stress gun safety.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby peckerhead on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:22 am

MNGunGuy wrote:Carry with a manual safety, check.

When I was a noob, one of the first things I learned is that a manual safety is only there to lessen the chance of a ND. This was confirmed by the pictures someone posted showing the damage he had caused by shooting his bathroom floor with his 1911 while taking care of business.

None of my carry guns have any type of manual safety. I haven't shot myself one single, solitary time while using the toilet.

As others have said, just don't pull the trigger.
peckerhead

Next

Return to In The News