Man in Plymouth shoots himself in bathroom..

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Man in Plymouth shoots himself in bathroom..

Postby mnmike59 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:24 am

MNGunGuy wrote:Carry with a manual safety, check.


I have mine on 24/7...It's called my brain.
"Just remember boys, this is America. Just because you get more votes it doesn't mean you win."
Fox Mulder.
User avatar
mnmike59
 
Posts: 1938 [View]
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:10 am
Location: Prior lake and Burnsville

Re: Man in Plymouth shoots himself in bathroom..

Postby Paul on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:25 am

farmerj wrote:As an instructor, you want me to teach you how to wipe you nose and ass too?

Sorry not going to happen. Some of this stuff you need to accept personal responsibility for. "Requiring" anything past the laws and the basics is stupid. You can't teach everything in a 6-8 hour class as it is.

Failure to safely handle a gun resulting in yours or someone else is not the failure of an instructor. No matter HOW MUCH we stress gun safety.

I like this.

I've always thought that if you can't figure out how to take a **** on your own, you probably shouldn't be carrying a gun.
Paul
Moderator
 
Posts: 5879 [View]
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:46 am

Re: Man in Plymouth shoots himself in bathroom..

Postby Ron Burgundy on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:50 am

Paul wrote:
farmerj wrote:As an instructor, you want me to teach you how to wipe you nose and ass too?

Sorry not going to happen. Some of this stuff you need to accept personal responsibility for. "Requiring" anything past the laws and the basics is stupid. You can't teach everything in a 6-8 hour class as it is.

Failure to safely handle a gun resulting in yours or someone else is not the failure of an instructor. No matter HOW MUCH we stress gun safety.

I like this.

I've always thought that if you can't figure out how to take a **** on your own, you probably shouldn't be carrying a gun.

Good point. Plus, the qualification part of the class would get really ugly.
User avatar
Ron Burgundy
 
Posts: 809 [View]
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:28 pm

Re: Man in Plymouth shoots himself in bathroom..

Postby farmerj on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:53 am

just makes me think of this.


Image
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
User avatar
farmerj
 
Posts: 4280 [View]
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:11 am
Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Re: Man in Plymouth shoots himself in bathroom..

Postby Evad on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:59 am

xd ED wrote:It sounds almost funny to suggest it, but it's something to at least once experience with an unloaded gun before the real-world need arrives...


Ok...I'll admit I actually practiced this. When I first got a holster for my G27 and wore it around the house on a cheap belt not meant for carry. I immediately understood the "need for a belt". Then nature called and I was curious how difficult or ackward it would be. It does take extra care when dropping the kids off at the pool, but a lot of things seem to need a little adjustment when remembering you have a weapon in your pants (pun inteneded).
Evad
 
Posts: 1051 [View]
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:21 am

Re: Man in Plymouth shoots himself in bathroom..

Postby Jeff Bergquist on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:00 am

One of the virtues of snap loops on your carry holster. The gun never has to leave the holster while you take care of business.
The bold type giveth, the fine print taketh away.
Jeff Bergquist
 
Posts: 912 [View]
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Man in Plymouth shoots himself in bathroom..

Postby peckerhead on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:14 am

Seriously, guys, it's not difficult.

Leave it holstered, and do not use the grip of your weapon to manipulate your pants. Back up to the toilet. Unbuckle your belt. Using your weak hand, pull the loose ends of your belt away from your body and hold snug. Using your strong hand, undo your drawers and drop them to just above your knees. Sit down. Buckle your belt at the first notch. Spread your legs a little to keep it snug while your take care of business. Problem solved.

If you feel you'd be at too much of a tactical disadvantage by buckling your belt around your legs, then the alternative is to hold your holstered weapon against your body with your strong-side elbow while you do the deed. This also works well for using the urinal.

Both of these techniques have served me well for many years now.
peckerhead
 
Posts: 196 [View]
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:48 pm

Re: Man in Plymouth shoots himself in bathroom..

Postby Evad on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:20 am

peckerhead wrote: If you feel you'd be at too much of a tactical disadvantage by buckling your belt around your legs, then the alternative is to hold your holstered weapon against your body with your strong-side elbow while you do the deed. This also works well for using the urinal.


NEVER use a urinal! You have to have your back to everyone! I use the stall and have a flash bang at the ready. I throw it under the stall door if the claymore has been set off at any time (you all do set a claymore before pooping, no?), then ignoring my pants and biological functions in process I kick the door open to address what is left of the threat.
Evad
 
Posts: 1051 [View]
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:21 am

Man in Plymouth shoots himself in bathroom..

Postby Spinner on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:40 am

peckerhead wrote:Seriously, guys, it's not difficult.

Leave it holstered, and do not use the grip of your weapon to manipulate your pants. Back up to the toilet. Unbuckle your belt. Using your weak hand, pull the loose ends of your belt away from your body and hold snug. Using your strong hand, undo your drawers and drop them to just above your knees. Sit down. Buckle your belt at the first notch. Spread your legs a little to keep it snug while your take care of business. Problem solved.

If you feel you'd be at too much of a tactical disadvantage by buckling your belt around your legs, then the alternative is to hold your holstered weapon against your body with your strong-side elbow while you do the deed. This also works well for using the urinal.

Both of these techniques have served me well for many years now.

^^^ This works! And buy a good holster and belt. The belt should be either stiff leather or reinforced. To check your holster, unload the gun, double check, place in holster, turn upside down over your bed and shake it, if gun comes out, get another holster.

I don't need my right to carry being outlawed because you are either too cheap or too mindless to manage your weapon.


Spinner
User avatar
Spinner
 
Posts: 120 [View]
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:51 pm
Location: Forest Lake, MN

Re: Man in Plymouth shoots himself in bathroom..

Postby MNGunGuy on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:56 am

peckerhead wrote: When I was a noob, one of the first things I learned is that a manual safety is only there to lessen the chance of a ND. This was confirmed by the pictures someone posted showing the damage he had caused by shooting his bathroom floor with his 1911 while taking care of business.

None of my carry guns have any type of manual safety. I haven't shot myself one single, solitary time while using the toilet.

As others have said, just don't pull the trigger.

You can also wipe back to front if you're careful. The point of my post wasn't to argue the merits of a manual safety or that every operator doesn't have rock solid trigger figure control ALL THE TIME. If the guy accidently hit the trigger for whatever reason I'm guessing a manual safety if engaged would have prevented the ND.
User avatar
MNGunGuy
 
Posts: 383 [View]
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:18 pm

Re: Man in Plymouth shoots himself in bathroom..

Postby Ron Burgundy on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:31 pm

Lots of good advice here. This just became one of my favorite threads.
User avatar
Ron Burgundy
 
Posts: 809 [View]
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:28 pm

Previous

Return to In The News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jsbrink and 1 guest