Accent Signage

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Accent Signage

Postby yonse on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:30 pm

Given that they make signs I was wondering if anyone knows if Accent Signage had a sign banning guns in the building when the shooting occurred. And if not if they have one now.
You don't know me, son, so let me explain this to you once: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed.
yonse

Accent Signage

Postby xd ED on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:35 pm

yonse wrote:Given that they make signs I was wondering if anyone knows if Accent Signage had a sign banning guns in the building when the shooting occurred. And if not if they have one now.

As I recall it is. A TV video made a point of showing a posted door.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Re: Accent Signage

Postby EastSideRich on Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:17 pm

Wait just a second...
Isn't that the place where that guy shot a bunch of people?
How the heck did he do that if he'd clearly wasn't allowed to bring a gun in there. :d'oh:

Sent from my phone
ESR

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
- Mark Twain

The government is not your friend!
EastSideRich

Accent Signage

Postby Spinner on Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:44 pm

Huh... Are you trying to tell me that the murderer broke a law?

Spinner
Spinner

Postby FJ540 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:10 pm

Logic doesn't go well with propaganda.

There was a carpenter arguing for restrictions on the tool highlighted on the 6pm ch 11 news - the guy debating him should've known that claw hammers are used more than rifles in murders - let's restrict his trade tools and require background checks and transactions between private parties and see how he likes it. :)
FJ540

Postby yonse on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:48 pm

You don't know me, son, so let me explain this to you once: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed.
yonse

Postby Mdclinks on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:54 pm

So could accent sign be sued for not allowing its slain employees the ability to defend themselves by banning firearms?
Mdclinks

Postby TH3180 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:03 pm

Mdclinks wrote:So could accent sign be sued for not allowing its slain employees the ability to defend themselves by banning firearms?

I think they are.
MrVvrroomm wrote:What time is lunch? I'm having a colonoscopy that morning at 1000. I'm sure I'll be hungry.
TH3180

Postby xd ED on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:04 pm

Mdclinks wrote:So could accent sign be sued for not allowing its slain employees the ability to defend themselves by banning firearms?

That question gets thrown out quite frequently.
My personal feeling is-Just as guns don't kill people, posted buildings don't kill people.

Almost anybody can be sued for anything.

Do you think it could be proved that had the building NOT been posted no one would have got hurt?
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Mdclinks on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:55 pm

xd ED wrote:

My personal feeling is-Just as guns don't kill people, posted buildings don't kill people.

Do you think it could be proved that had the building NOT been posted no one would have got hurt?

I think my question is misinterpreted. It's more towards a company making someone choose between keeping their job or being able to protect themselves by making it against company policy to carry a firearm as an employee.
Mdclinks

Postby Heffay on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:03 pm

Are we really going to dance on their graves?
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby Mdclinks on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:14 pm

Heffay wrote:Are we really going to dance on their graves?

Heffay please go away. People are sick of your holier than thou attitude. I have no intentions of dancing on anyone's gave. It is simply a question I have been contemplating regardless of the company or the specific circumstances that pertain to the company.
Mdclinks

Postby xd ED on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:16 pm

Mdclinks wrote:
xd ED wrote:

I think my question is misinterpreted. It's more towards a company making someone choose between keeping their job or being able to protect themselves by making it against company policy to carry a firearm as an employee.

How would quitting a job under those circumstances be actionable?
You don't have a right to a job on your terms, correct?
Maybe I'm missing the question.
As An aside, I believe the lawsuit against Accent is based on 'they should have known he was a dangerous person' , not work conditions/ posted bldg.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby xd ED on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:19 pm

Mdclinks wrote:
Heffay wrote:Are we really going to dance on their graves?

Heffay please go away. People are sick of your holier than thou attitude. I have no intentions of dancing on anyone's gave. It is simply a question I have been contemplating regardless of the company or the specific circumstances that pertain to the company.

User Control Panel/ Friends & Foes/ Manage Foes :myball:
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby yonse on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:22 pm

I don't think it's about dancing on anyone's graves, but if you want to ban guns you should have the ability to enforce that ban. People are banned from taking guns onto planes and into courtrooms. The government doesn't just put up signs though, they have metal detectors and guards to prevent people from bringing weapons inside. Although I dislike it I'm not against it if someone wants to ban guns from a place. I just think that if they do they should make sure that they have the ability to enforce that policy and to also potentially be liable if it prevented a permit to carry holder from being able to defend themselves because that person didn't carry as a result of the sign.

The only reason I don't carry at work is because they have a sign that says I can't at the entrance and I really don't want to lose my job. My company does have security guards but I think that they are only armed with walkie talkies. There was a time when I would have thought that I was safe at work, but last year another employee was robbed and carjacked by someone who had both a gun and a knife in the ramp. Even though I work a later shift I still don't think I need to worry too much, but there are people who keep Samurai swords at their desks and I wonder if that's for display or also potentially for self defense as well. If I ever am the victim of a crime at work that I believe I could have prevented if I had been able to carry you can bet that I will be weighing my legal options at that point.
yonse

Next

Return to In The News