Sad stuff. (Oakdale Shooting)

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Sad stuff. (Oakdale Shooting)

Postby sgruenhagen44 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:57 pm

Hey now... I live in a poverty mindeset. I'm eating hamburger helper for the third time this week. :D
sgruenhagen44

Postby XDM45 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:09 pm

sgruenhagen44 wrote:Hey now... I live in a poverty mindeset. I'm eating hamburger helper for the third time this week. :D

hehe.. that's not quite what I meant... :) Yeah, I eat Ramen Noodles too... Different when it's a choices vs. that's all you can eat or nothing else because you're broke. :( been there too, sad to say.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby rugershooter6823 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:23 pm

Just delivered to a customer of mine and she was a teacher at this little guys school! She said its been a tough few days especially for her daughter that goes to the school as well.

Sent from my iphone5 using Tapatalk
This house is protected by the good lord and a gun.
rugershooter6823

Postby xd ED on Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:33 pm

rugershooter6823 wrote:Just delivered to a customer of mine and she was a teacher at this little guys school! She said its been a tough few days especially for her daughter that goes to the school as well.

Sent from my iphone5 using Tapatalk

Little kids aren't supposed to die.
As a species, humans are not wired to accept the loss of their offspring.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby photogpat on Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:43 pm

I'll be curious to see if he showed any warning signs leading up to this or not. I know the media has indicated no mental health issues - but I'd be surprised he wasn't displaying something.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby sgruenhagen44 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:58 pm

XDM45 wrote:
sgruenhagen44 wrote:Hey now... I live in a poverty mindeset. I'm eating hamburger helper for the third time this week. :D

hehe.. that's not quite what I meant... :) Yeah, I eat Ramen Noodles too... Different when it's a choices vs. that's all you can eat or nothing else because you're broke. :( been there too, sad to say.

haha. I know what you mean. but for real. its all give and take. Not what you make but what you spend. eating hambuger helper enables me to buy more reloading components :D
sgruenhagen44

Postby xd ED on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:06 pm

photogpat wrote:I'll be curious to see if he showed any warning signs leading up to this or not. I know the media has indicated no mental health issues - but I'd be surprised he wasn't displaying something.

I don't recall where I heard it, but this 34 yr old guy-due to gambling debts, was very dependent on his parents who live in that area (I read that as living in the basement).
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Snowgun on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:54 pm

From: http://www.startribune.com/local/east/191040651.html

In the complaint, a 28-year-old woman described a man standing in the middle of the street shooting a handgun, later confirmed as a 9-millimeter, as she drove toward him. When bullets struck her windshield, she ducked -- and one struck the passenger seat headrest. Another driver, a 54-year-old-man, had his windshield hit as well as a front tire, and was likely spared further harm as the shooter stopped to reload.

Nice little dig there...

Still, Tran stood out as being troubled, the man said. He was introverted to the point of not being able to order for himself at restaurants, and often withdrew to his room in solitude.
:shock:

The man also recalled that Tran was obsessed with violent video games, playing them not just for hours, but days on end. He worked briefly at Andersen Windows, and for about a month last summer at 3M Co. But he only worked long enough to save money to buy new games when they came out, the source said. "The games control him, he doesn't control the games. He played the games too much."

:roll: I don't buy this video game link, or the violent movie link. It's like tying heavy metal to violence. Didn't they used to think Jazz caused people to go crazy? I believe video games is just highly correlated with introverted psych cases. Correlation does not equal causation.
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby The Lance on Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:37 pm

Quick question related to tactics. If someone was shooting at my car and I decide to run them over in self defense would it be the same as if I were to shoot them?

I just had a conversation with a friend who said that it would be "vehicular manslaughter"

However I am surprised that someone didn't so such. But I guess natural instinct is always to get yourself away from a life threatening situation. Which would be very different for the average person who trained to react differently
I'm not down with the republican party, or the democratic party. I represent the MI6
The Lance

Postby qualcorp on Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:12 am

This aint Texas….or Wisconsin :?
" I know the voices aren't real but they have some good ideas"

“Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
qualcorp

Postby Snakeman721 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:15 am

Sooooo......mental problems or prescription drug problems? Or both? I'm starting to pay more attention to all those drug ads on TV and their side effects. Sure seems like there are a LOT of them being pushed that have a side effect of depression and or thoughts of suicide. I just saw that stated for "Chantix", the drug to help you stop smoking. Was this guy a smoker? Hmmmmm.... :?:
Get off my lawn!
Snakeman721

Postby tman on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:21 am

The Lance wrote:Quick question related to tactics. If someone was shooting at my car and I decide to run them over in self defense would it be the same as if I were to shoot them?

I just had a conversation with a friend who said that it would be "vehicular manslaughter"

The vehicle could be considered a "dangerous weapon," and you could be prosecuted for assault / homicide if it wasn't clear that you were acting in self defense or defense of others.

Not too many people would opt to drive AT a threat when they could drive the other way.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby Dante on Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:17 am

Snakeman721 wrote:Sooooo......mental problems or prescription drug problems? Or both? I'm starting to pay more attention to all those drug ads on TV and their side effects. Sure seems like there are a LOT of them being pushed that have a side effect of depression and or thoughts of suicide. I just saw that stated for "Chantix", the drug to help you stop smoking. Was this guy a smoker? Hmmmmm.... :?:

For some interesting stories related to Chantix and others see:

http://www.ssristories.com/
Dante

Postby XDM45 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:32 am

tman wrote:
The Lance wrote:Quick question related to tactics. If someone was shooting at my car and I decide to run them over in self defense would it be the same as if I were to shoot them?

The vehicle could be considered a "dangerous weapon," and you could be prosecuted for assault / homicide if it wasn't clear that you were acting in self defense or defense of others.

Not too many people would opt to drive AT a threat when they could drive the other way.

Crazy and it may sound, sometimes the best defense is a good offense.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby 20mm on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:50 am

XDM45 wrote:
tman wrote:

Crazy and it may sound, sometimes the best defense is a good offense.

You don't decide to run them over. You panicked and hit the accelerator instead of the breaks, your view was blocked by the shattered windshield. It was all a tragedy caused by the horrible circumstances you were put into.
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
""Real men shoot 20mm." - FJ540
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

PreviousNext

Return to In The News